Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for appetizer to make for 20 peeps

Options
Hey All,
Next Tuesday, wife and I are hosting a little get together for about 20 friends. I plan to do a couple of SGH's best appetizer ever but looking for a recipe that includes bacon wrapped something appetizers. Hopefully there is a good not too hard recipe out there.

Thx in advance

Z
Central Florida

Comments

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks. Did a search and wow. Anyone happen to have an ABT recipe that keeps the heat down? From previous get together's I know there are several that cant handle heat.
    Central Florida
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    In the past I just used a different type of pepper that was not as hot, they are still just as good.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    zman51 said:
    Thanks. Did a search and wow. Anyone happen to have an ABT recipe that keeps the heat down? From previous get together's I know there are several that cant handle heat.
    Just scrape out out all the seeds and ribs of the peppers. That's where all the heat is. Plus, cooking the  peppers cuts the heat as well. The fat in the cheese/meat mixture will also take the Edge off, so I think you'll be fine.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    What @Eggcelsior said. Scrape the seeds out and once they cook they'll be fine.

AS far as recipes. I mix 2 packages of softened cream cheese with 1 cup of finely shredded cheddar, add about a TBL of your favorite rub and a dash or worchestershire. Fill the halved jalapeno, wrap tightly in cheap, thin cut bacon, and sprinkle with the same rub you used in the cheese mixture. 

On the egg, indirect 350ish until the bacon is cooked
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can stuff with a blend of cooked up mild sausage and cream cheese and you should be good to go.  ABT production takes some effort, though. You may want to give moink balls a look as they are easier to make especially if you go with store bought meat balls.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • zman51
    Options
    looks like most of recipes show about 24 turds. For 20 people, probably should double recipe? I will be having these, the SGH app and 3 different kegs of my homebrew :).
    Central Florida
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    ABT's could be the key! If you have deer, you could do some deer poppers (sliver of cream cheese, deer meat, a few canned jalapenos, and wrapped in bacon). Duck works too, we have even done boudin. Not quite as hot at ABT's depending on brand of jalapenos. Same cooking strategy as the ABT's
    LBGE
    AL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    You can serve ribs as a heavy appetizer 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    you can add a couple blocks of cream cheese along with the abts for the anti spicey camp, it smokes well and i just add black pepper as a rub, serve with good crackers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    My wife and some of our friends can't handle jalapenos even with the seeds and membranes removed. I always make some with the mini bell peppers you can find at the grocery store. They are a little smaller, but no heat at all and still really good. 

You could do pig shots as well!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm a big fan of pig shots.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    bacon wrapped pineapple, I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct name. Found the recipe here previously and they were crazy good. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese and a little balsamic  glaze is good also.
    fukahwee maine

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese and a little balsamic  glaze is good also.
    This was about to be my suggestion. I am doing these Sunday for our “Friendsgiving”. They are always a huge hit. 

If you want to cool off the jalapeños you can 1) Blanche them in hot water for about 30 seconds or 2) put them in Sprite Zero for a few minutes. Both should be done outside since it will let the oil from the pepper out. 

I hope you can find good jalapeños right now. All the ones I have seen have been pretty funky. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• zman51
    Options
    Hmm. Sounds like one order of ABT and one of Pig Shots will do the trick along with the other stuff. Thanks!
    Central Florida
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    You should make about 100 abts, they are addictive! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• fishlessman
    Options
    make sure you allow some extra time assembling abt's if its your first time, i do them pretty fast now but they used to be time consuming. a few tips, cream cheese doesnt stick to wet things, keep your gloves and spoon wet when filling. warm the bacon up and hand stretch it, cut to the right length, stretch again and wrap, skip the tooth picks. wear gloves, dont make that mistake ;)i like to start them cheese side down on the grill to start them browning, cream cheese firms up and browns, it does not drip
    fukahwee maine

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    wrap some dried Apricots , lots , with bacon. also pineapple chunks drained and duat with chili powders & wrap with bacon . bacon wrapped shrimps.
  • zman51
    edited November 2017
    Options
    make sure you allow some extra time assembling abt's if its your first time, i do them pretty fast now but they used to be time consuming. a few tips, cream cheese doesnt stick to wet things, keep your gloves and spoon wet when filling. warm the bacon up and hand stretch it, cut to the right length, stretch again and wrap, skip the tooth picks. wear gloves, dont make that mistake ;)i like to start them cheese side down on the grill to start them browning, cream cheese firms up and browns, it does not drip
    Thanks. Any reason I shouldn't prepare them night before?
    Central Florida
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    zman51 said:
    3 different kegs of my homebrew :).
    Kegs of homebrew? When are where should I show up?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms with mixture of cream cheese, finely shredded cheese, bbq rub. Wrap in bacon and lightly dust with more bbq rub. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    zman51 said:
    Thanks. Any reason I shouldn't prepare them night before?
    never done it, might need the toothpicks for that
    fukahwee maine

• zman51
    Options
    Griffin said:
    zman51 said:
    3 different kegs of my homebrew :).
    Kegs of homebrew? When are where should I show up?
    Love homebrewing. You can just as creative as you do with recipes for egging. Anytime in Florida, stop by!
    Central Florida
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    zman51 said:
    looks like most of recipes show about 24 turds. For 20 people, probably should double recipe? I will be having these, the SGH app and 3 different kegs of my homebrew :).
       A vanilla porter will do wonders at cooling the heat and if you get the ABV up to about 9%... you won't have to worry because no one will remember what happened!! ;)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @zman51 - I prep ABT's quite frequently the night before.  I cover the platter/tray with shrink wrap while in the fridge and have never needed or used toothpicks.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • zman51
    edited November 2017
    Options
    zman51 said:
       A vanilla porter will do wonders at cooling the heat and if you get the ABV up to about 9%... you won't have to worry because no one will remember what happened!! ;)
    Just so happens I have a VP on tap now that is 10%. Lots of our friends really like it so it is usually always on tap along with an IPA and Stout of some sort :)
    Central Florida
  • zman51
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @zman51 - I prep ABT's quite frequently the night before.  I cover the platter/tray with shrink wrap while in the fridge and have never needed or used toothpicks.  FWIW-
    Thx for the info!
    Central Florida
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Use banana peppers instead of jalapenos. Works just fine. 

Little Rock, AR

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Pork bellies as per Malcom Reed's recipe.  You will not be disappointed.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.