Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The relentless naan thread part 2... also long... but I think I nailed it.

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Is anything from India pale??? :) And that was beer going TO India.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I thought you were just trying to come up with an easier way to make naan without a tandoori oven. If you need a recipe for naan, I can try to get one. We are more Southern Indian so chappati is used. But I'm sure my aunt in India (or another relative) can get an authentic naan recipe if you need it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So India Pale Ale isn't beer from India?
    Like mentioned, IPA was shipped to India from Europe by boat. There is nothing Indian about an IPA except that most of it was shipped by the East India Company to British soldiers in India. The Brits drank Porters at the time which often couldn't make the 6 month trip and tasted horrible in the India climate. So they switched to a Pale beer loaded with hopps that the rich stored and drank. It could last for decades in a cask so that's what they started shipping to India for the military soldiers. Hence the IPA name.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    BS I say!
    I can pick up some cardamom and curry notes in my IPA, don't care what you guys claim. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now. Next time I'm down on Devon I'll try again!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bump
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I thought you were just trying to come up with an easier way to make naan without a tandoori oven. If you need a recipe for naan, I can try to get one. We are more Southern Indian so chappati is used. But I'm sure my aunt in India (or another relative) can get an authentic naan recipe if you need it.
    A little of both, I guess. I want a good restaurant- grade naan, so that's what I set out to make. Without having to fire up the tandoor necessarily. 

If you can get your hands on a high-quality naan recipe, i'm all for trying it. 

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now. Next time I'm down on Devon I'll try again!
    I miss Devon. But some of the better Pakistani food (incl naan) was to be found around Orleans & Oak. There were a few dhabas (kind of a like a diner, but grungier, where a lot of Pakistani cab drivers would hang out) around there. Cheap but good grub. Baba's Palace, Pakizah, Kababish, Zaiqa were a few of them. 

• caliking
    Options
    Focker said:
    BS I say!
    I can pick up some cardamom and curry notes in my IPA, don't care what you guys claim. 
    Its not really an IPA unless you can taste notes of chicken tikka masala in it :wink:

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Could you bake the naan on the floor of a wood oven?
    http://texasovenco.com/wood-fired-oven-as-tandoor/
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I understand from one who is knowledgable that "naan needs to see fire."  I would think that a wood oven would qualify. I would think even better if it is tall enough to put in a vertical steel or iron plate you could stick them to, so you would have even exposure to the topsides. 

One way to find out
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Absolutely! If you think about it, a WFO is a sideways tandoor. So it fulfills my purist/snob criteria that the naan must "see the fire" :) Plus, you can make several naans at once. 

And thanks for posting that link. Any discussion about tandoori chix, etc. that starts off by mentioning Kundan Lal Gujral and the iconic Moti Mahal, is off to a good start indeed. They did their homework. 

• caliking
    Options
    20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    I understand from one who is knowledgable that "naan needs to see fire."  I would think that a wood oven would qualify. I would think even better if it is tall enough to put in a vertical steel or iron plate you could stick them to, so you would have even exposure to the topsides. 

One way to find out
    I would try on the floor first. Maneuvering a metal plate would be tricky. And if the baking steel is anything to go by, it will scorch the underside of the naan at temps >550°F.

I've seen pita baked on the floor of a WFO, so I'm pretty sure it will work out well. 

@SciAggie - I presume we'll see some pics next weekend? :smiley:

• SciAggie
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @caliking Of the paella? Absolutely! I will designate a photographer. 
    Also - I purchased my oven kit from Texas Oven Co. They were good to work with. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:
    Relentless Naan  (April 2017 )

Flour AP                                           360g
    NaCl                                                   1 tsp
    Dahi (i.e. yogurt, homemade)             60ml
    Egg, large                                            1
    Oil                                                   1 TBSP
    SD starter                                            60g
    Water                          as required, about 120+ ml. [150ml if eggless)

- Whisk dry ingredients.
    - Mix wet ingredients. 
    - Knead dough by hand for 5-10 minutes and let rest for 2 hrs. 
    - Refrigerate for 2-7 days.
    - Knead dough for 1-2 minutes
    - Heat CI skillet until 450°F (ish)
    - Roll or stretch naan out. Dust with flour as needed. 
    - Dock the dough
    -Spray water on one side
    - Press wet side down into pan.
    -Invert the skillet and cook on high flame for ~60 secs or until the surface is browned.

Enjoy! :)
    I want to try flatbread in the wfo. Questions:
    Can I use store bought yogurt?
    please explain the docking,spraying, pressing steps more. 

Also, please excuse my ignorance - how is naan different from pita bread?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    edited May 2018
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I want to try flatbread in the wfo. Questions:
    Can I use store bought yogurt?
    please explain the docking,spraying, pressing steps more. 

Also, please excuse my ignorance - how is naan different from pita bread?
    Gary... how much longer are you going to wait?? :)

- you can use store bought yogurt. White Mountain Bulgarian yogurt is very good, and is available at HEB. If you have an Indian store near you, look for Desi Natural Dahi, which is also pretty good. I had unsatisfactory results with Greek yogurt. 

Docking - after rolling the dough out, poke it with the tip of a sharp knife or a fork. Like you would pie crust prior to baking it. 

Spray - the side that will go down against the cooking surface. This is usually done to help the naan stick to the walls of the tandoor, but I think the steam created when that wet side hits the cooking surface is a good thing. 

You shouldn't need a pan since you can cook on the the hearth/floor of your wfo. Or try a pizza stone on the hearth. A wfo is sort of like a sideways tandoor, so I'm thinking this will work out well!

Re: naan vs. pita bread, naan is usually 100% white flour, sort of blistered but not puffy, crispy on the bottom, but pliable. The good pita bread I've had in restaurants has always been chemically leavened, puffy, and made with varying amounts of WW in the dough.

Google spit this out:
    https://www.breadstoneovens.com/blogs/news/wood-fired-naan

Ignore whatever they say about their dough, handling it etc. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    I’ll give this a go this weekend. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’ll give this a go this weekend. 

The dough is best after 2 days in the fridge.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Great thread....have enjoyed reading though it all.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    how is naan different from pita bread?

naan is an enriched dough (dairy). Usually cooked at much higher temps.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• caliking
    Options
    how is naan different from pita bread?

naan is an enriched dough (dairy). Usually cooked at much higher temps.
    Naan is an enriched dough as well, I think. Oil, yogurt, egg are in it. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Mixed some dough this morning. I only had Greek yogurt - hope that doesn’t matter too much. I’ll post results later. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Mixed some dough this morning. I only had Greek yogurt - hope that doesn’t matter too much. I’ll post results later. 
    If you’re making naans today, leave the dough out for a few hrs. Otherwise, you’ll find that it’s best after 2 days in the fridge. 

• SciAggie
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @caliking I thought I’d make it tomorrow. By the way, how many should this recipe make?

Also, this is a relatively stiff dough - is that right? At least compared to 80% hydration bread dough. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    @SciAggie if you roll out golf ball size wads of dough, it should make 10-12. 

Its stiffer than 80% hydration dough, but yours may be a tad stiffer than usual because Greek yogurt is denser than the yogurt I use. 

Also, the dough will keep in the fridge for a week, and even up to 2 weeks. It’s pretty tangy at the 2 week mark :)

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Thanks. I may make a few tomorrow and then let some of the dough go until next week and see what that’s like. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I have no idea if this is actually naan - but it tastes good. Some I didn’t dock -some I did. I just held them to the fire to get some toasting. @caliking How did I do?

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Those look awesome!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    20stone said:
    Those look awesome!
    Thanks. They were easy to cook. I’ll be making this regularly I think. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon