Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal Bread Temperature?

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I am going to bake bread the first thing in the morning, maybe I should ask someone smarter than I am, what the internal temperature of bread should be when done. ??[p]Any help will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Kyle,
    I'm no expert... but I believe good ole mom taught me that when you baked bread it was done when risen and fully golden brown.
    You can use a thin wire (cake tester) and insert into the fullest part of the loaf and when it comes out clean and dry it's done.[p] I'd go mainly by browness.[p]Good Luck let us know how it turns out!

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Kyle,
    190-200 degrees, depending on how firm you want it. The crust color can vary greatly with the oven temp., but you want at least 185 deg. in the center.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Kyle,[p]Depends on what type of crust you have..the 190deg is close..[p]If you want a crunchy crust..spritz it lightly with water three times during the first 12 mins of baking..[p]One easy way to tell if bread is done besides internal temp
    is the thump test...thump the bread with your finger and it should sound hollow

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Kyle,
    uncbbq gave you the same temps that I've read in books, and they work well for me. But most times I do the "thump test" that icemncmth suggested, except that I pat the bottom of the loaf with the flat of my hand rather than a single finger. You just dump the loaf into one hand (using a pot holder, of course!) and quickly tap it with the other. You'll want to use both this test and the thermometer the first few times until you learn what that "hollow" sound is supposed to sound like.[p]Hope that helps!

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Kyle,
    One more suggestion: Make sure you let your lump burn off for a good long while before baking bread on the Egg. You don't want smoky bread. I find about 45 minutes of burning usually cooks off all but a faint hint of smoke, which is perfect for getting that "brick oven" taste.[p]What setup are you using? Inverted (feet down) plate setter with a pizza stone on top? I've used this several times, and it works great as long as I put some cornmeal on the bottom of the loaf to prevent it sticking (or use an appropriate pan.)[p]Good luck!

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    SuperDave,
    I received great help from you and others to my "help" request. [p]The bread turned out great.[p]Thanks to you and all for the help[p]Kyle