Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Can't Believe This.......

Options
PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was doing a dry run for a local BBQ competition next Sunday. Ribs, thanks to the BBQ Guru and Dizzy Pig, came out absolutely perfect. I shut down the BGE for a couple of hours and then opened her wide open to fire her back up. Well........... in the midst of preparing the hamburgers, the BGE fired up to temperatures unknown to this earth. The thermometer plastic cover melted and warped off and the gasket TOTALLY VAPORIZED! I mean it melted and there was nothing left except the ceramic lip of the Egg. While a little scary it was pretty funny. I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    PCO3,
    if you get in the habit of keeping the daisy on it when you walk away, even wide open, it won't happen again.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    PCO3,[p] I was doing a catering gig today and Humpty (My XL) was at the party. I had my dutch oven baking the beans at 350 F. I put some marinaded chicken around the Dutch Oven and closed the lid. Someone asked me a question, I turned around answered the question and when I turned back to Humpty he was up to 750 Deg.[p] My daisy opened when I had the lid open. I shut that bad boy down quick. I had one very hot Dutch oven and the chicken was done in a flash..[p] Luckily the gasket is still there and I even avoided the dreaded flasback.