Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Buckboard Bacon?

61chev61chev Posts: 539
edited 5:51PM in EggHead Forum
I just got the kit to make some bacon. Was thinking about using a pork loin the directions say to use boston butt. I am wondering if I should butterfly the loin to get more of the mixture through out the meat. Any thought on this? thanks
Gerry7

·

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    61 CHEV,[p]No need for that at all. Loins take about 6 days to cure. If you http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com you will go to my homepage. I added a Buckboard Bacon page on Friday with pictures of butts, loins and tenderloins. I know the instructions are very complete but I added some personal tips and my technique for cooking on an Egg since HiMountain's instructions are for an electric smoker.[p]I forgot to add the trick that RickSegers turned me on to; injecting loins AFTER the final soak in water. The possibilities are endless but he uses a 50:50 mix of maple syrup and water, then coats the loin (using a tablespoon or so) with pure syrup before smoking. I really like the sweetness it gives.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • thirdeye,
    Mad Max has a thanksgiving hot line. Perhaps you should consider a Buckboard Western Union connection. first 2 hours dome 200, than raised to 225 My butt 2hr 45 min Internal 141F. Pulling at 150. Thanks. LOL

·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    thirdeye,
    How do set up your egg to smoke at below 200 degrees? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks, tom

·
  • Bajatom,
    I just cranked the large up a few hours ago. Filled 1/3 firebox with fresh B&B on bottom added old coals on top. reaches the top of the fire ring. Started center and 3 small fires with MAPP and placed grid and extended on top. bottom vent open 1/2 inch and top wheel open 1/4 inch. Popped a beer and watched closely. When it approached 175-180 15-20 minutes, dropped butt on top gris and closed lid. watched every 10-15 minutes for 2 hours in the 175185 range. Then opened bottom vent little more to reach 225. holding steady last hour.. Better go get some more beer.

·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Richard,
    Thanks for the info. Tom

·
  • Rich GRich G Posts: 103
    61 CHEV,[p]I second Thirdeye's comments, as long as you don't have an absurdly thick loin, you should be fine without butterflying. I did one of these recently, and mine was under the 3" thickness suggested by the HiMountain folks and it turned out just great.[p]Enjoy![p]Rich

·
    Bajatom,[p]I think I use even less coals than richard; fewer coals means easier air flow....Or I cheat and set-up the Guru on 175.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • Thirdeye
    Wife walked by as I was looking at your buckboard page, and she made a very pointed suggestion that I try and duplicate your efforts. I hope to get by, by waiting until November before starting. You will be getting several hits from me going back to your page to make sure I don't screw up. Thanks for the Post.
    ·
  • thirdeye,
    Yes your method is better,but my guru is still on a list for the future and I was cooking behind the butt and too lazy to add more coal, that is why I loaded it up. Just pulled bacon 4 hours 150F internal, crept to 154 after pulling. EGGselent!! Chicken tenders are on now. Thank you again.

·
    Richard,[p]Let's see...about an hour before a sample? Quality control and all that.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • thirdeye,
    Since I do not have an electric slicer, how long should the butt rest before cutting? Couple hours or overnight in frig?

·
    Richard,[p]About an hour for a sample slice or so. Chill overnight for serious slicing.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    thirdeye, Thanks i"ll go in and take a look
    Gerry

·