Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel vs Dual Function Metal Top

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today is the day I get my Egg. I have decided to go really wild and cook "Dad's delicious big green burgers" from Roger in Charleston. My son is anxious to test this thing out so I thought I would do something simple.[p]My Egg is a Large demo unit from the showroom and it came with the daisy wheeel. Should I look at purchasing the Dual function top in the near future or can I do everything with what I have.[p]Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    GJ,
    get the dual function top. I haven't gone back and got one for my Lg BGE, but a buddy of mine has and is a lot happier with start-up procedures than he was originally.[p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    GJ, I personally have only the daisy at present on both of my Eggs..small and large BGE's..The majority of my cook's are in the low and slow range, and I adjust my heat ranges with my lower vent control for anything over 450 degrees. With some manipulations I can maintain up to 550 degrees with the daisy wheel. Takes practice tho.
    If I were just starting, I would get only the dual daisy/slider top for the accessory top. I saw one the other day, and was impressed with it.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    GJ,
    I would normally say to get the slide/daisy top if you have none or are buying a new Egg. Since yours came with a daisy you need to ask yourself how badly that $30 new top will be worth to you. I seldome use my old daisy anymore. The daisy will allow a max dome temp of around 350-375. Above that you remove the top and control with the bottom vent alone. Its a little tricky but easy enough - the addition on the slide/daisy top (or the slide top for that matter) allows the temps to be more easily regulated. The slide/daisy has a max temp of around 650 dome so its nice to have it there to keep Humpty from running up to 1000 deg when your back is turned. I would get it - its nice to have.[p]Tim M
    flames1.gif

• GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the tips. I have a few things on my Egg wish list so I think I will experiment for awhile and see how things go. One of the first things on my list is a thermometer, maybe one of those wireless ones. [p]I can't wait to try it out in 4 hours :)[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    GJ, Just start slow and easy. Watch your temperature go up as you open the bottom vent. Start your fire any way you like. When I first got mine two years ago, wads of paper under the grate or under the charcoal on top of the grate was the learning experience. Since then we have graduated to a more refined startup..Everyone has a preferred technique, and thats they one to use..The one that will suit you best. Once the fire has ignited the charcoal..leave the top open, and adjust the burn with the lower vent..Once you reach the 300 degree level..put your top metal cap on wide open..let it adjust then close down the lower vent to lower the burn rate and your temperatures.
    Play with it...experiment, then cook! Only takes a few hours of checking, adjusting, and rechecking to get the feel of it..
    Good luck..and Welcome to the Biggest Ceramic Q forum in the 21st Century..
    C~W[p]

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    GJ,[p] Sounds like a good plan. you should be able to do lots of experimenting with what you got. A thermometer is on my list of essential tools for good BGE cooking, and those wireless jobbers look pretty darn cool. As far as the top goes, I got a daisy with my large BGE and used it extensively. However when I started cooking things in the 400-500 degree range, I bought a slide top to make it a bit easier to control the flames. After I already had both, BGE introduced the combo top :-(.[p]-MikeO
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    GJ,
    I have all three tops, slide metal, daisy wheel and daisy/slide comb. I cook low and slo as well a high temp using no top what-so-ever. I control my temps using the bottom vent only.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    JJ,[p]Great minds think alike, brother dear.[p]Cathy
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Cat,
    Little Sis's teach well.[p]Jack

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GJ,
    Man, you have received a bunch of great answers. The type that remind you how great this forum family is. I agree with C~W that if you get the fire hot enough first, you can maintain 400-450 with the daisy, but also agree with the others that say the dual function makes it simpler to obtain higher temps. Infinite possibilities for 180-650 or so. I use mine all the time instead of my original daisy.[p]Or you can be like JJ, Cat and Smokin Bob, who cook mostly with no cap at all, and fully depend on the bottom vent for temp control.[p]Seeya..NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    What is the dual function top?  I thought DFMT was all they have?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Not sure why, but I find your new hobby entertaining.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    How will we know when you revive the VERY FIRST POST on this forum?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm trying to find it, but finding older posts is a bit tricky.  Oldest posts I have found are January 2000.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Forum sections sort by "newest to oldest" so the one on the very bottom of the last page might qualify. 

A bunch are January 2000 so I can only guess that the forum started after the Y2K Panic was over. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm a bit of a historian and I know THIS forum didn't come into existence until after Ed Fisher turned over the reins to Arnie, which I believe was in 2007. So that is at least a rough reference of the starting point.

As for your speculation about GreenEggers forum not starting until 2000 that isn't right as it had been around much longer than that and to this day still exists.

When this forum came into existence historical forum files were turned over along with the membership and passwords. My guess is 2000 was just an arbitrary date.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    found my first post =)

fishlessman
    April 1 1995 edited 11:35AM in EggHead Forum
    what is the best lump to use in my egg

Comments

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this discussion is older than 2000, the op, gj, was last active in 1999 ;)
    fukahwee maine

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This seems like the place to ask - why do some members not have a join date in their profile?

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i never joined this forum, i was kidnapped during the take over  =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    GJ HAS NEVER EVEN VISITED THIS FORUM
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    blasting said:

This seems like the place to ask - why do some members not have a join date in their profile?

There was a merger/takeover of another forum. The members with profiles ported over don't have join dates.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I thought it was because they have always been members - joined infinity ago.
    Options
    In a previous life.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nope. I have no join date and I joined the original forum in August 2009, hardly ∞.

At that time, Ed fisher still ran the joint. Ardy came a couple of years later. Or at least I never heard of him until a couple of years later...when forums started changing and people in Tucker started losing jobs. This forum didn't start up until sometime in 2011 I think. No idea when the original forum started. THAT could have been ∞. =)

What I wanna know is, why would anyone want to revive 17+ year old threads?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I originally missed the dates above and thought I was having a flashback!!!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Nope. I have no join date and I joined the original forum in August 2009, hardly ∞.

At that time, Ed fisher still ran the joint. Ardy came a couple of years later. Or at least I never heard of him until a couple of years later...when forums started changing and people in Tucker started losing jobs. This forum didn't start up until sometime in 2011 I think. No idea when the original forum started. THAT could have been ∞. =)

Michael,
    back in the summer of 2006 Jim Nufer was heir apparent and he and BobbyQ, the resident chef at Atlanta HQ attended the Eggfest held in Oswego, IL. Shortly thereafter and I think that year end Ed Fisher surprised all and brought Ardy on board and canned Jim and Bobby. This forum came in to being then in 2007 give or take a year.
  • RRP
    edited November 2017
    Options
    RRP said:

Michael,
    back in the summer of 2006 Jim Nufer was heir apparent and he and BobbyQ, the resident chef at Atlanta HQ attended the Eggfest held in Oswego, IL. Shortly thereafter and I think that year end Ed Fisher surprised all and brought Ardy on board and canned Jim and Bobby. This forum came in to being then in 2007 give or take a year.
    I stand corrected!!! The Oswego Eggfest I was referring to was in 2009 - not 2006. So that moves up the date for this forum to more like 2010.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah, I just did some digging cuz I knew that couldn't have been right. I had barely even heard of BGE until mid-09 and I wasn't on any grilling forum in 2006 or 7. And yet I know about Bobby Q and Ardy. And this forum didn't exist when I started. I joined the old forum in August 09 and everything was still peachy. Well, until tweev. Bobby was still at BGE and Ardy was not. I don't know anything about Jim Nufer. Name sounds familiar, but that's it.

I remember when Bobby was let go and all the us vs them uproar when this ("new") forum started up. Both in 2011, not '10. You can still see some the of the threads if you care to look.

As for Bobby Q's time with BGE, this is from Bobby Cresap's Linkedin profile...

"Executive Chef and creator of Big Green Egg Academy

Big Green Egg

November 2005 –  February 2011 (5 years 4 months)"

According to THIS, Arani didn't come on board until 10/1/10. Took him only 4 months to dump Bobby.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Very interesting stuff.  Time to go digging.  Didn't realize all the turmoil in the not to distant pass at BGE.