Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

POLL - How many of you use the wire spark screen behind your lower draft door?

Options

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I use it

think I read or saw on a video once that not using it gives about 1/3 more air flow. Obviously don’t know the accuracy of that
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I always use it.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Always. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I wonder why KJ didn't put one on the Jr. Seems like the insurance companies would have made them put a screen on it. 
    Why? Do all the other kamado makers have screens on their models?

I know Primo doesn't, not sure about all the others.

I guess it happens but I've never seen any sparks shoot out of the bottom of my KJ Jr. And that is with a KAB which I have no idea if that would make it more or less likely to happen.
    It's almost like @DoubleEgger was trolling for someone to jump to KJ defense. Hahaha.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My screen is falling apart, but I've always used it unless I'm trying to heat up really quickly, like fully open.  I think it would be harder to hold really low temps without it.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Always.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Another always.  Better to have and not need than need and not have.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Yup!  I have the same.  Now I just need to install it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    thetrim said:
    smbishop said:
    Yup!  I have the same.  Now I just need to install it.

It slid right in, no need to take anything apart....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Is this a for real question?  Why wouldn't you use it?   Unless your on 10 acres of concrete that is is just silly!! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:
    I wonder why KJ didn't put one on the Jr. Seems like the insurance companies would have made them put a screen on it. 
    Why? Do all the other kamado makers have screens on their models?

I know Primo doesn't, not sure about all the others.

I guess it happens but I've never seen any sparks shoot out of the bottom of my KJ Jr. And that is with a KAB which I have no idea if that would make it more or less likely to happen.
    It's almost like @DoubleEgger was trolling for someone to jump to KJ defense. Hahaha.
    Well, somebody has to feed the troll. :)

Am still curious about all the other makers - do they all have screens of some kind? Is this something the CPSC needs to investigate?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Nope.  Probably a good idea for most tbough 

My cooking patio gets no wind, and is concrete.  Yard is gravel. House is brick.  Fence is block.
    Phoenix 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    blasting said:

My cooking patio gets no wind, and is concrete.  Yard is gravel. House is brick.  Fence is block.
    So if your running 350 you have your bottom door open and the screen open too?  Why?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jones2289
    Options
    I've used mine from day 1, aside from having both open right after I light the charcoal, or to spike the temp for reverse sear, etc.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    so, what are the poll results?  Any interpretations on them?  influences from not-giving-a-fck cement slabs, vs wood decks, vs perceived lowered flow, degraded mesh, Amazon substitute dampers, etc.

A poll must have a purpose.  and a conclusion
    Options
    My eggs are so old, they don't have screens.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

So if your running 350 you have your bottom door open and the screen open too?  Why?

No reason at all.  If my situation were any different, I'd be using it.

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My eggs are so old, they don't have screens.
    If I didn't get a free replacement from a friend courtesy of a cracked base warranty claim flower pot in the yard, I'd still be rocking my rusty but trusty.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My eggs are so old, there are dinosaur bites in the ceramic.  And fossils.
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. This topic was inspired by a recent conversation my friends and wife had about if you wipe your rear sitting or standing. Interestingly enough, we've found this topic to be nearly 50/50. Whats even funnier is that nearly everyone that does it one way has never contemplated trying the other way. 

I'm going off on a tangent, the results are overwhelmingly one sided on this topic though. The trend seems to be better safe than sorry. I believe I will be using the screen more often. 

Uses screen: 29

Does not use screen: 4

Some times/did but doesn't now: 2
    Pratt, KS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Can we save the azz wiping poll for Friday? 
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I think it would be a good topic for Friday haha. 
    Pratt, KS
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    What is this screen you speak of???  20+ year old eggs did not have them!  (Of course on my MiniMax... yup, it use it...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    with regards to the screen itself, since it is a safety hazard, is it covered under warranty. they disintegrate in no time =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Yes they are: 

3. METAL COMPONENTS: METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, cooking grid, fire grate, upper vent cap and lower draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Structural Integrity Warranty to the original purchaser. The Big Green Egg makes every effort to utilize materials that resist rust and to apply high temperature coatings on metal surfaces. However, metal materials and protective coatings can be compromised by surface scratches or exposure to substances and conditions beyond BGE’s control. Among other things, chemicals, chlorine, industrial fumes, fertilizers, extreme humidity, lawn pesticides, trinidad moruga scorpion peppers and sodium chloride are some of the substances that can corrode paint and finish on metal coatings. For these reasons, the Warranty on Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Components DOES NOT COVER RUST, OXIDATION, FADING, DISCOLORING, BLEMISHES or REPLACEMENT DUE TO ADJUSTMENT OR ALIGNMENT OF PARTS OR COMPONENTS, unless it also results in a loss of structural integrity or a failure of these components of the EGG.  Band and Hinge Alignment and Adjustment support is available from an Authorized Dealer.
    Pratt, KS
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I cook on a deck and never use mine. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    blasting said:

Do you live in prison?  :smile:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI