Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Eggs or More

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi fellow Egg-heads,
I am pretty new to the egg-scene. Had my Large Egg almost three weeks now. So Far I have cooked Burgers 3 times, Chicken, Boston Butt, london broil, pork chops twice and Pizza. Just curious how fellow eggers work up to 2 eggs or more. My wife in particular is curious about why you need two or more eggs. Maybe, if the stories are good I can get a small BGE for fun! Egg-cited to read all the stories about people that own two or more eggs. Please let me know what you do with these eggs what kinds of food are you preparing simeltaneously with two grills.[p]Regards, Pharmeggist

Comments

• Pharmeggist,[p]You can cook different things at different temperatures at the same time.[p]While your brisket is chugging along @ 225 or so for 12+ hours, you can Trex a steak for dinner. If you have three, you can grill vegetables at the same time. Where are you going to bake that pumpkin pie? You just might need FOUR.[p]Coo coo Kachoo
  • Pharmeggist,
    i have 3 eggs (2 larges and a small). ..started with a large, added the small, then a second large. .. i use more than one quite often . . .on thanksgiving i'll have my turkey in one large, yams and bread pudding in the second large, and probably grilling up some appetizers in the small. . ..[p]not unusual for me to have going at the same time on a regular basis. . .recently had family over for dinner ... .had chicken roasting in one egg, and a cheese souffle going in the other. .. after the soufle was done, i put a chocolate soufle in the one the cheese souffle came out of. . . this way, i had the chicken in one egg with some wood smoke, but the souffles were cooked in a very clean burning egg so there would be very little smoke flavor. ..[p]hope that helps. ..

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Pharmeggist,
    seared a pork tenderloin tonight on the small as the large came up to temp. pulled off the pork and it went into a pan with some olive oil and herbs. the large was for some sweet potatoes (cut into planks) and egg plant at 350 or so.[p]the small then got a cedar planked salmon which roasted as the veggies and the pork tenderloin finished .[p]since getting the small, we've used it for 90% of the cooks. but the large is the go-to for ribs and pulled pork.[p]versatility, in a word

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pharmeggist,[p]hmmm...
    Do you have more than one size pan in your cupboard?[p]I find the small to be a good size to take along on picnics.[p]At home, if I'm cooking for just myself, or just not cooking a lot, I use the small. [p]Steak dinner - I cook side dishes in the large, then at an appropriate time sear the steaks in the small and transfer them to the large to finish.[p]To cut this list down a bit:
    I could toss out every pot and pan I have and just use a couple large cast iron Dutch ovens for everything. It would be much simpler that way. I'd have a lot less clutter. No decisions. I find it convenient to have several stacks of different styles and sizes of pans. I also find it convenient to have a second BGE. Some day I may buy another convenience. ;-)[p]Mike

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    It didn't take me long that I needed two Large eggs.....We entertain fairly often and I like to cook / grill / smoke multiple things....If I'm cooking a nice 20lb. prime rib....and I want to cook up some ABTs and Chicken Wings....it ain't easy to do on just one Egg.....Ya needs two to pull that off.....So...I got another one....as simple as that.....[p]Me personally....I would never add a small or mini....I would get one at least as big as you have....double your pleasure...double your fun!![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Pharmeggist,[p] Simple answer is: Because I want too. :) [p]We can give you all the excuses in world but it comes down to because we want to and because we can.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Pharmeggist,
    while I have four BGEs myself I've only had three of them at work at the same time. Do you need 2 or 3 or 4? no, probably not, but unless you have found the secret of taking your wealth with you when you leave this world then why not join us multiple owners crowd?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist
    RRP,
    It took me months to convince my wife for the large Egg purchase. The reason it was hard was that I got a Weber silver genesis B propane grill 3 years ago thinking it was the ticket... until my Mom bought my Dad a Green Egg for Fathers day this past year. To make a long story short my Brother and Dad are Medium Egg owners. My Sister and her husband bought a large Egg and I finally got one three weeks ago. All of us got them within the last year me being last. My wife and I have an 8 month old little girl... and I am working on attending Eggtoberfest in Georgia next year. Anyway, I convinced my wife we needed the egg instead of Patio furniture and a million other things. So far I am doing great at cooking most meals outside on the BGE with my new enthusiasm and passion for grilling/smoking/Q-ing. I just wanted to hear some great stories from multiple egg owners as something to egg-spire towards.
    Right now I am trying to figure out how much I can sell the Weber for to buy a small BGE if possible. Problem is I am totally sold on the BGE and would rather have friends buy a BGE than my barely broken in Weber.
    As far as taking wealth with me my wife will see to it that doesn't happen (just kidding) I am blessed with a good one. Anyway, I hope to be purchasing another egg in the future for a little more outdoor egg-citement.[p]Regards, Pharmeggist

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Pharmeggist,

bge. since then i have talked 8 people into buying one and still working on several more who LOVE comming to my house, sometimes i wonder is it me or my EGG??? needless to say my old boss and the fellow who owned the whole place all own one. and when they have a question they ask me. people love them, i love mine, i have had it for four years now and just beginning to think about my next one and my advice to you is if you can then do. i will buy another soon but not right now.just bought a new for my egg so funds are not looking good for him getting a new brother or sister (just depends on how you use it)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Pharmeggist,
    The small large is the way to go.
    HappyFamily.jpg
    One by itself is all sad and lonely. Two or more makes a happy family. I've been thinking about an XL to go with them for those occasions when I'm cooking lots of food. I've done a packer brisket and two butts on the large before. WessB's boston butt cook makes me think with the large/XL combo I can cook enough pork for our church picnics.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Pharmeggist,
    I have a large and a small. See the link below for one way I use both eggs at the same time. [p]BeerMike[p]I think it's time for another beer!

[ul][li]cold smoking with 2 eggs[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    eggfamily1.jpg
    <p />Pharmeggist,
    Add an XL to this picture...we have 5 eggs...there is no combinations of foods that we cant cook....The large and a small were the first 2 and that is an absolute perfect pair...the rest become more like toys...not a "have" to have kinda thing more like a "would like to have" just cause I can...and my wife screamed about the first one until she started eating the food coming of of it, now it`s no questions asked when I want anything to do with the BGE...[p]Wess

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Pharmeggist,
    It's fun to be able to cook the whole meal outside.At Christmas and Thanksgiving your wife can relax while you do alot of the cooking.I have 2 mini eggs and a XL thats not in the picture.
    Larry

[ul][li]Thanksgivig at the Wards[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    dhuffjr,
    i wouldn't necessarily say the small/large makes for a happy family. since getting the small, all the large gets to do is watch me go in and out of the kitchen door tending to the small. i have to keep the two of them apart. the large is very jealous...[p]small/large is a great combo

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Pharmeggist,
    multiples are so you low an slow for tommorow and can cook for tonight also. then the wife volonters your boston butt for 80 people (grill 3/guru2)

• That's a little eggstravagant, isn't it?[p]ottawa_egger
  • Pharmeggist
    WessB,
    Now that is an EGG-CITING outdoor kitchen if I have ever seen one. Looks like you could handle an entire football team with that set up ;+) Next question what is on the EGG for dinner tonight? EGG-FANTASTIC

• Pharmeggist
    BeerMike,
    I haven't had smoked cheese before. However, looking at your set-up looks prety EGG-STRAVAGANT. Looks like it may be along time before I can try smoking cheese with one grill huh? Pretty Cool --- I must admit.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Pharmeggist,
    You can smoke cheese with one grill (don't tell your wife). I've done it but it takes a lot of ice. If your interested in knowing how I did it, let me know. [p]BeerMike

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • WessB,[p]Where did you get the one holding the business cards?!![p]Mike
  • WessB
    Cory,
    Naahhh...you cant take it with ya..LOL[p]Wess

• WessB
    Pharmeggist,
    Thanks...we did ribeye`s and corn on the cob....you can see detailed pics of the entire build on my website..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • WessB
    Michael B,
    We got it in Atlanta a couple of years ago, not sure if dealers are carrying them or not.[p]Wess

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Pharmeggist:[p]Didn't notice this post over the weekend, but I now have three eggs, 2 large and 1 mini (4 if you count the business card holder on my desk at work). I started with a medium, but when we got the second large and built the outdoor kitchen, the medium went to my son.[p]Here's where we spend most of our time at home.[p]closeregg.jpg[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Is your chocolate souffle recipe posted, Max? If so, I'll need to check it out. If not, please post or shoot me a copy. Thanks!![p]All the best,
    Jim