Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs anyone!

Options
Nova Scotia Canada Black bear, Homemade pear slaw, Balsamic vinegar salsa & Nova Scotia Potatoes 

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
Canada
Large @ Small BGE 

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Looks great, I’ve had mixed experiences with bear.  Some of the best meat I’ve had and another time wasn’t so good.  They say the quality comes from what they eat...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I'm not a fan if the hunt , but that is a beautiful skim ...props to you 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How did the bear meat taste?  

Buddy of mine Red from Alaska said the worst thing he ever ate was bear ribs.  He's a picky eater though.
    Options
    I grew up in BC on Babine Lake and the only part of the bear we liked was the heart. 

Now, moose? Love just about every part. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    What was your cooking method? Those look top shelf.  Mount prep looks awesome as well. 

Ive done black bear ribs 3 times. Twice were crash and burn. 3rd time I cooked more like a beef rib but med-rare.  They were pretty good but I used a ton of pepper. 

Ive gotta agree with @JNDATHP every time I come across bear the heart has been my favorite. Cooked with peppers and onions. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    The ribs were fantastic. My daughter and wife were amazed Quote Mmm Bear!  

Here is the trick with bear meat:

After you finish the hunt you need to process the bear. (within an 1 hour)
    [With this animal taking pictures, hanging it, showing it off to friends, having a beer, processing it in the morning because its late, Doesn't WORK!!]
    Remove the fat off the bear right away, Take as much fat as possible if you think you got it all keep going. (the bear fat retains heat!  Any remaining fat will radiate back onto the meat which will cause it to spoil) once your bear is clean get it into a fridge over night to cool the bear down. (we built a hanging room with two window mount air conditioners for our processing room)
    The following morning process the bear like any other wild game/or cattle,  Trim remaining fat and cut up your steaks, ribs roasts etc..

Ive hunted bear for years the worst tasting bear was the one i bagged in the spring the second year i hunted.  Bears are just coming out of hibernation, they're all skinny, lost hair, not healthy looking.
    I don't believe in the spring hunt and haven't hunted in the spring since.
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Rzeancak glad to hear an update. 

My buddy is sending me a care package of meat from AK. He told me he would throw in some bear fat rendered in a jar. 

I have been told it's good for cooking but a lot of people also have said they use it to season cast iron. 

Any experience with it? I've never bothered to keep it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Rzeancak
    Options
    sorry folks I've been away.
    Cooking instructions:

season ribs and add sauce...
    wrap ribs in aluminum foil (air tight @ multiple layers)
    Top rack on egg @ 200 2 hours
    Open lid get the fire going (good flames)
    while the flames are starting to build re-season meat, add more sauce.
    grill direct to your liking (10-15 min) for a good char or sticky texture/taste.
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Rzeancak
    Options
    I've never used the fat for cooking or pans.  My wife has bad arthritis and she uses it as and rub/cream/ointment to relive arthritic pain. Its the only thing that works For Her!  I've used it also and it works. your hands arn't greasy  
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Nice. I've never hunted bear. My experiences have all been so so with the little bear I've eaten so I'm glad you were able to put it to use in a way that you enjoyed. 
    I've always been shy about bear for trichinosis but I know it's fine well cooked and your looks that way to me. Enjoy. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • spray
    spray Posts: 57
    Options
    Looks like a nice plate of food to me.  Great job!  Never killed a bear, but I've killed lots and lots of sea critters and deer, and taking care of the meat immediately from the time you get your hands on it is paramount to having it turn out fresh and tasty, IMO.  Sounds like you know what needs to be done to a bear to make the kill worthwhile.  
    Large BGE and MiniMax in St. Petersburg, FL
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    Rendered bear fat makes the best pie crusts.
    Yes, bear meat (black or brown/grizzly) is best when the bears haven't been eating decaying fish.
    Some of my most memorable meals when I lived in Fairbanks came from bear meat, but they were all bears I grocery shopped for and butchered.
    Gotta love free range organic grocery shopping with a gun. ;-)