Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White chicken chili

Options
Looking for a recipe for the egg. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't use a recipe, but goes something like this:

Grill your favorite cuts of chicken, or a whole chicken. Boneless is easiest.  Or don't grill it if you don't want.

Grill or saute some onions and green chilies.   Any green chilies - you control your own destiny with heat and flavor.

Optionally, grill some garlic. Otherwise, add fresh garlic.

Saute or mix in the grilled stuff, diced up.  The chicken can be cubed or you can just cook it long enough so it pulls.

Add a can or three of any white beans, great northerns, butter beans, fava, whatevz.

Pour in chicken broth. 

Add a can or two of green chilies with juice

Cook all that in a pot on the egg (so now it's a BGE recipe).

Season with:

A small bit of chili powder - not much, you don't want to turn it pink.  Course grind is the best.

Cumin to taste (good bit)

oregano

white or black pepper

Cilantro if you want

Some people add white cheese like Monterrey jack or something you like

Warning:  don't add salt until the end.  Check if too salty - the broth will evaporate, so don't add broth in lieu of water unless it needs salt.

Garnish with cilantro or parsley, sour cream or creme fraiche or mexican crema and maybe some fresh grated cheese
    Options
    One whole chicken spatchcock or rotisserie, from the grocery store, One block of pepper jack cheese grated, one medium onion diced, 32 ounces of chicken stock, 3 cans great northern beans, one jar salsa medium or hot what ever ya like, cumin. You can add anything you want we like a can of corn. Pull all the meat from the bones, sweet the onions with a little oil, add all the other ingredient's and heat till it's hot and enjoy.  We got this from Rachel Ray's show, it was a chili cook off and a lady named Wendy won with her white chicken chili.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I like this.  I cook a whole chicken rather than the breast suggested.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    +1^. I was just about to suggest that recipe. I just ate that last weekend.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174446/dutch-oven-day-2-white-smoked-chicken-chile-photo#latest

This is the thread that has the White Chicken Chile I've cooked many times. It was a top recipe at the 2014 Eggrtoberfest in Atlana. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rinsing canned beans is optional as well but with a lighter chicken chili, please rinse them, wait... always rinse them ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lest anyone has noticed, all these recipes are extremely similar with differences like tomatoes/no tomatoes, using salsa, draining juice, etc.

Add what you like, and watch the salt.   Learn to cook based on guidelines, not measuring cups.  (exception there with baking).
    Options
    Thanks again to all. I shouldn't have really asked for a recipe. We make white chili regularly but was wondering if anyone had anything special. We never used canned beans in anything that we intend to cook down at all. The white chili we make in the winter will be made with homemade turkey broth. This time I am using skinless boneless thighs and will smoke them and the veg prior to assembling and then will let it spend several hours on the egg with the occasional stir. I am toying with the idea of smoking/roasting grape tomatoes and adding. Will post the results.

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I grill the thighs w/ skin on and then remove. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited October 2017
    Options
     I'm thinking the skinless might give me a better smoke profile. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here  is one I like.  Thank photobucket for  trying to holding the photo for ransom.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=763609&catid=1

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Lest anyone has noticed, all these recipes are extremely similar with differences like tomatoes/no tomatoes, using salsa, draining juice, etc.

Add what you like, and watch the salt.   Learn to cook based on guidelines, not measuring cups.  (exception there with baking).
    That's why I suck at baking, can't be bothered with all of the measuring and timing.
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    This was one I made a while back that I really liked. The weather just flipped up here to Cold so it's definetly chili season!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186795/smoked-chicken-and-white-bean-chili-with-bacon#latest
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I like this.  I cook a whole chicken rather than the breast suggested.  

Thanks for sharing, saved!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My wife makes a white chicken chili similar to those presented above. She adds cloves too. It’s great with some yogurt or sour cream added. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
     I'm thinking the skinless might give me a better smoke profile. 

I pull the chicken then put the finished product back on the Egg at 250 and smoke for a couple hours w/ hickory and sometimes will also add some apple. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Image result for mccormick white chicken chili

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• GrillSgt
    Options
    3+ lbs boneless chicken thigh, 2 poblanos, 2 jalapeños seeded, 2 large sweet onion and a carton of grape tomatoes. All done low and slow @ 250 with pecan for 2+ hrs. Cooking beans before adding. Will bring to simmer inside before spending a 2-3 on the egg. 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited October 2017
    Options
    To thicken it up a bit, I mash (or smash with a fork) 1/2 the white beans before adding toward the end of the cook.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Turned out awesome. Thanks for all the different suggestions. This is for all the parents at daughters trick or treating party.