Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

moose pie

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_0986.jpg
<p />read a recipe in the maines sportmans journal last week, seemed easy enough to wing. need to find someone with a moose, i used sirlion steak instead. just a little too much cloves, will change that next time and added dp firewalk to the crust recipe which i really liked, cowlick went into the filling. the filling was steak, potaotoes, mushroom condensed soup, beef gravey, green peppers, lots of mushrooms,and a little corn starch. 375 for an hour
100_0992.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]That looks really nice, including the crust!! did you dust that meat with flour and brown it first?[p]Don't know if you saw this big bull elk picture or not. It has been circulating for a week or so. Killed with a bow up on the Idaho/Montana border. Score is 575 Boone and Crockett, breaking tho old record around 450. Some think it was raised on a private reserve.[p]65912ee0.jpg[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    thirdeye,
    when i went out there and fished the park i was impressed with the elk, big animals and you can get pretty close, seen families walk right up to them with kids. must be the same people i see walking on thin ice with kids out here. thats a nice elk, alot of pies there. i went with trexed steak this time with gravy as i already had the steak from the night before, ive got a nice 8 pound chuck roast for this weekend that will get the flour sear for pot roast and then maybe another pie. i really liked the firewalk added to the flour for the crust, usually make it with lard, but the lard smelled off, used crisco and butter for this one with an egg wash

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GHEgger
    GHEgger Posts: 37
    Options
    Thirdeye - that's a monster bull if it's real. I got that pic in my inbox about a week ago and forwarded it to a buddy who guides in Idaho. I'm waiting for confirmation. I've heard that it's a Photoshop Special - fake.

That would absolutely SHATTER the World Record if that kill is legit.

Meat will probably taste like boiled owl, though. ;)

That's a great looking meal, fishlessman!
  • fishlessman,
    Did you precook the meat, or potatoes? TIA

• Bluegillman
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Looks sooooo good, can I ask for the recipe if you still have it? I love cooking in the cast irons in the big green egg too.