Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use Pyrex in the Egg?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As the subject implies, are Pyrex vessels usable in the Egg? I've got a cast iron Dutch Oven, I've seen BGE ceramic casseroles, and soap stone used, but never Pyrex. Does any one know if there is a shattering problem?[p]TIA
gdenby

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning gdenby:[p]I've used Pyrex vessels quite a few times and never had any problems (except the wife not happy with cleaning the smoke deposit off, but I'm covering them with foil most of the time now). HTH[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    gdenby,
    my pyrex lasagna pan has stood up fine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    gdenby,
    yes it is possible to use in the egg i have used mine for mad max's turkey recepie cover in foil if adding smoke i have also used mine on a ham or two. i am not sure but i believe they have a disclaimer that says no stovetop so i think there is a barrier that they will not take giot to be somewhere over 400 degrees
    HTH
    terry

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    SSN686,[p] Save the foil and apply a light coat of dish soap to the outside before it goes in the smoke. This trick works on metal too. Just don't do it on Cast Iron or Cast Aluminum.
  • DSC02180.jpg
    <p />gdenby,
    I scoured the archives before I used mine on the Egg. There were a few “Don’t do it” warnings, “direct flame” is a no-no kind of thing. I have done exactly once with no problem. [p]rb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BasementDwellingGeek ,
    of course, that's not really direct flame![p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    gdenby,
    Ok, this is pretty stupid but I was in a hurry a couple of months ago and used a pyrex pie plate as a drip pan under a roast. After about 10 minutes of direct exposure to heat. Blam! I was lucky because I had just checked on my cook and lowered the lid. The thing shattered spectacularly, spilled its contents (some water), and caused a dual plume of sooty smoke to shoot out the top and bottom vents. Yes, I should have known that pyrex can't handle the thermal shock of a direct cook, but I was in a hurry! [p]Paul

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks, all[p]Thanks for letting me know what the problem with Pyrex is. Way back when I was young, I remember commercials that showed what I seem to recall as pyrex vessels with one half in a block of ice and the other under a blow torch. There would be captions like "Straight from the refrigerator to the oven!" Seems like it needs a little protection from direct heat, and I'd guess that it does better with somewhat slow temperature changes.[p]gdenby

• stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    yours truly (confirmed dinkus) did something similar.[p]took it out of the BGE (was indirect) and put it in the sink. It was filthy with burnt on drippings. I honestly recall thinking "No. I don't think I should add water. I won't add water, it'd probably break. Would it break?"[p]And then I watched myself as I stupidly eased the tap a little, dripping it into the dish.[p]KA-SNAP! a million jagged pieces of glass. Guess what? I shouldn't have done it.

• fishlessman
    Options
    100_0808.jpg
    <p />gdenby,
    i think its fine for under 400 inderect heat only, but maybe ive just been lucky. this was a pork roast, casserole, and potatoes all cooked at the same time inderect, and it was probably at 350 if i remember correctly. maybe i was just lucky : )

fukahwee maine

• stike,
    Fear, based on what I had read, caused me to use the fire bricks![p]rb

• fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    LOL, thats a great routine, i think every one plays it. starting up the stove one year, logs are wet, no parafin log starter. maybe some news paper will work, its going out, what else do i have, ive got some white gas, maye i shouldnt, its dangerous, well maybe just a little, half capful wont be too much, open the door, stand back, toss it in, Kabbooom, im laying on my back in the center of the room, fires lit. wish i could say that it wont happen again. til next time

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    hahahahaha[p]

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Back in the 50s or 60s when in the boy scouts we used that technique. I remember telling one of the newbies to soap the pan before using it and then watching him get sick from his food - seemed he soaped the inside of the pan rather than the outside.
  • cmemphom
    Options
    Re: Kaboom! Same exact thing happened to me but I was cooing indirect. Will not use pyrex again.