Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To cover or not to cover

Hello All!  I am a new egger and have a quick question.  I live in South Florida and recently got my first BGE, in out sauna like region I have noticed that the inside of my BGE tends to get some mold on it.  I am wondering if covering it will actually intensify this.  Flip side is I don't necessarily want to leave this out in the blazing heat and sun.

I really appreciate all the great posts! They have been immensely helpful to this newbie!!

LG BGE
36" Blackstone
Weber Genisis
Cold IPA on tap!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    1) Welcome aboard.

2) I don't think the heat and sun will hurt it.  And covering it will probably increase mold build up.  I quit covering mine years ago.  It sits under a tree in San Antonio so it doesn't get a lot of sun, but I would still leave it uncovered if it did.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,896
    edited October 2017
    I have had this issue in the past. I travel nonstop so my egg doesn't get as much use as most. I found that when I cook things that contain a lot of moisture or a large cook I let the egg go for an extra 20-30 mins with nothing on it to dry it up a bit. Then I close the vent and put the cap on. Remove drip pan if used and cover the egg after it has cooled. Since doing this I have not seen any mold at all. Could just be luck but maybe worth a shot. Others will tell you it needs airflow. I just haven't seen the need for airflow if the ceramic is dried out before re closing up.
    Snellville, GA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    No cover. In addition to the humidity issue, the cover harbor wasps and bees. Opening the bottom vent helped with my mold problem on my XL. Interestingly enough, I've never had any mold issues on my medium. I only use my XL for slow and slows now so I'm sure that adds to the mold growth issue. 
  • Mold needs moisture to bloom. Eliminate the trapped moisture and you will eliminate the mold issue. Hence the thought of letting the egg run empty to dry it out a bit before shutting it down and trapping the moisture inside. Especially if you know you won't be using it for a while. Some don't mind it sitting out in the rain and weather year around but I like my covered. Different strokes for different folks. See what works for you and go with it. 
    Snellville, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2017
    Mine sits out in the weather all the time, though in a completely different climate. Thankfully! =) Mine gets sun all afternoon, has for 8 years now, and is fine. I bought a cover shortly after I got the egg, used it a few times and put it away. Have never used it since.

I have considered one of these, but haven't bought one. Would keep the sun and rain off, but I don't know how it would hold up to the heat from the egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  I have nothing to add to the cover or not conversation.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Cover
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166

Welcome!

I had a cover for my egg and table but it only really protected the table. I don't think the egg needs to be covered. To help with the mold issue, open lower vent and prop the dome open an inch or two.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    ... when I cook things that contain a lot of moisture or a large cook I let the egg go for an extra 20-30 mins with nothing on it to dry it up a bit...
    I sometimes go for weeks or more with no cooks, and I often get mold.  I never cover my Eggs, and have Smokeware caps so there's always some draft.  I agree with @Eggdicted_Dawgfan that in addition to trying to get rid of moisture, I think trying to cut down on "food" for mold might prevent it, either by doing what he suggested above, or, if you know you're going to be quite a while without cooking, maybe try to get it up to 600° or so for half an hour or more before leaving it.  I haven't tried this, yet, but I really think it should work.

So:
    1. Let there be some air flow to try to cut down on moisture (so I'm not a fan of covers), and
    2. Try to heat any leftover food bits, etc. into carbon before leaving the Egg for a long time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I should have been more clear. Cover for the Egghead's comfort. The egg could care less. Living in the Sunshine State we enjoy mild winters but, egging in direct sun and pouring rain is not at all pleasant. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Thank you everyone.  I have been doing mostly slow cooks and I agree that certainly has something to do with the mold problem.  I'm gonna go with the cover on but egg vented.  And I know the one sure fire way to fix it is to cook more so thats gonna be the plan!!  
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • Carolina Q
    Spillin said:
    I'm gonna go with the cover on but egg vented.  
    Careful here. I assume you mean you're going to leave the top and bottom vents open. If you do that after a cook and just let the lump burn out, it will be many hours before it's cool enough to put a cover on. If you shut the vents to put out the fire, let it cool (still quite a while), then open the vents and add the cover, don't be surprised if the lump re-ignites and you wake up to a cover that's melted all over your egg.

A cover really is not needed.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    Thanks @Carolina Q   I plan on closing off completely and letting in burn out. Then opening the bottom vent and cover the next day...  Odds are I'm gonna wind up ditching the cover after about 3 uses... lol

LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • Carolina Q
    It can take 48-72 hours before the risk of re-ignition is pretty much gone. If the vents stay closed, no problem. But give 'em some air and you never know.

I'm not sure I made it to 3 uses.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Welcome and enjoy!!

I cover them and dont have mold issues but I use em several times a week. I'm in GA and have had mold once or twice after being away for a while. I use the torch that I use for lighting to burn the mold off. Or if it's been a while since I've used em I'll do a hot cook and let it burn hot for a while before I put my steaks on. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited October 2017
    No Cover
    Use Rain Cap on top vent, crack the bottom vent open about an eight of an inch, then place a small stick (or golf tee) between the lid and base.  (I do this the day after a cook)
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I cover mine with a Black Weber kettle cover.  Sits in full sun ~4 hrs a day and in the summer its already 130+ before I ever light it.  I have never had mold issues but my percentage of L&S cooks is pretty slim.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    My cover has two mesh vents in it to address the airflow problem. I leave the bottom Egg vent fully open. No mold issues yet and frankly that would freak me out.
    Mountain View, CA