Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Three Egg Cook . . .

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This winter has been extremely long for me. I have not been able to do near enough queing as I would like.[p]That is gonna change on Saturday though. My son is going on a weekend ski trip and I have no work responsibilities. In fact I will be off Friday so I can prepare for the weekend.[p]On the large will be three to six pounds of jerky. This will be GFW's pile method with his recipe altered to include some homemade jerk sauce.[p]We will also be doing a couple of SMOKE AND SPICE lobster tails on either the small or mini for Saturday dinner.[p]At some point on the large we will cook some naan.[p]I am looking for a couple of other suggestions of items to do on the small or mini while my large is making jerky all day.[p]BTW, what experiences do folks have with jerky on the egg? Does it really take 12 hours at 180*? Could it be less? Does it need to be turned every hour?[p]This will be a grat day for me. Nowhere to go but the back porch to tend to the eggs. I look forward to slowing down and enjoying some good eats.[p]Fritz

Comments

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Options
    What's the deal with GFW's pile method for cooking jerky? Guess just like it sounds, pile it high!...do you need to stir the pot every now and again?
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Fritz,[p]Some little side items I like to cook are sausage, red peppers, shrimp, mushrooms, and chili. I like to take a can of Dennison's hot chili, Bush's honey baked beans, and a can of Caribbean black beans. Mixed together with items such brown sugar or molasses, bacon, bbq sauce, salsa, chili powder, and whatever items and spices are available. The beans were great. Each batch is different and that is what makes it fun.[p]Cheers,[p]Dec
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Dec,[p]That does sound kind of fun and interesting. A couple of questions for ya.[p]You put the mix in a dutch oven or the like. Do things cooked like this still get a charcoal taste?[p]What temp, how long, and do you stir?[p]Jethro
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Fritz,
    If you want to take the time to hang them on tooth picks it takes a lot less time. Like 3 to 4 hours. Its my favorite

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Jethro,[p]The beans I cook on a stove, I should have noted that. However, I do know that on GWF's site he does cook some beans on his egg. I am pretty sure he has it-documented step by step.[p]BTW, Diced green peppers are also a great addition, I think stag may put some in their chili. If you try mixing your own beans don't add to many things or it may become inedible. [p]Happy Q'in, [p]Dec

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MAC, your right on the timing..about 3 hours for tender jerky, 5 hours for stiff all day chew jerky..:-)
    I use regular jerky screens. I can stack 3 in a BGE.
    Good for ribs too..and chicken..and, and, and...!!
    C~W[p]