Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Brisket Tracker

Options

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2017
    Options
    $10.99 for tri-tip is crazy.  You can get trimmed prime tri-tip at Costco for a lot less than that.  If you watch the local grocery store sales you can get untrimmed choice tri-tip in a 2 pak or by the bag for under $3 p/lb. on a regular basis.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    logchief said:
    $10.99 for tri-tip is crazy.  You can get trimmed prime tri-tip at Costco for a lot less than that.  If you watch the local grocery store sales you can get untrimmed choice tri-tip in a 2 pak or by the bag for under $3 p/lb. on a regular basis.

Must be nice. 
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    Picked up a Prime Brisket for $2.99 last night.  Checked out a store further from home as I was out playing golf with some buddies in the area. 
    Doubled up as I shot a 38, my low round ever, usually more like 44.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • windnsea26
    Options
    That's alot for tri tip.  Right now in San Diego it's $2.88lb for choice at our local Vons.  Costco sells prime for about $6.99lb.
    San Diego, CA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Indianapolis has 3 Costco Warehouses and they all have Prime whole packers in various sizes ( I buy the ones with the smallest portion of point) for $2.99/lb

I have 10 lbs cooked and portioned in vacuum bags in the freezer right now. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• bkhooegger
    Options
    Costco at Pentagon City in Arlington, Virginia had prime packers ranging from 9 to 16lbs for $2.89/lb. this past weekend. It was the first time I have seen anything but flats there.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Costco here sitting at $2.99/lb last week-down from around 6 weeks ago.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Star_TrEGG
    Options
    Costco at Pentagon City in Arlington, Virginia had prime packers ranging from 9 to 16lbs for $2.89/lb. this past weekend. It was the first time I have seen anything but flats there.
    Glad the DC metro area is finally getting prime packers.  I also saw prime packers at the Glenarden, MD location on the east side of the beltway.  $2.89/lb is not bad at all.  Smoked one of the two packers I bought a couple days ago and it turned out great!
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Costco Hayward California,prime full packers for $2.99 lb.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Winchester, VA Costco today. Finally down to $2.99 so I bought 2 of the 4. 

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    I can only source choice packers in Hagerstown. I might have to join costco and road-trip to Winchester.
    Winchester, VA Costco today. Finally down to $2.99 so I bought 2 of the 4. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    I noticed that my local Costco in Fairfax intermittently gets a box of prime packers, but according to the meat manager they don't know when they get them or how many. And they can't order them (I asked). Weird, it's apparently luck and timing if they have them in or not.

Anyone know if Leesburg or Winchester Costco regularly carries packers now? I bought a chest freezer to store some venison and have room for some packers...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I bought 2 from Costco in October. Thawed one out over the weekend. Trimmed probably 5# of hard fat off. Egged it for 13 1/2 hrs. Once finished, the drip pan had almost 1 1/2" of fat in it. Upon slicing it up, this "prime" brisket was mostly fat. This was a colossal waste of time and money.  Not sure I even want to bother with the one still in the freezer. Is there any way I could have known that this one was a dud?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Woodchunk
    Options
    I like their flats, pretty much trimmed up.
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    @kweitz I noticed that too. I was at the Costco in Fairfax, they had some yesterday, but notice the fat cap was as thick as the meat. Great price, but I passed.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Wow, our Costco in Gaithersburg does not have anywhere near the prices they do elsewhere.  I looked this week and Beef Brisket Flat was $5.89/lb

My local Wegmans was at $6.99/lb, though.

Looks like I'll still get my next one at the Amish market which is usually $4.99, but I haven't checked recently.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chelnerul said:
    I noticed that my local Costco in Fairfax intermittently gets a box of prime packers, but according to the meat manager they don't know when they get them or how many. And they can't order them (I asked). Weird, it's apparently luck and timing if they have them in or not.

Anyone know if Leesburg or Winchester Costco regularly carries packers now? I bought a chest freezer to store some venison and have room for some packers...
    YES on Leesburg
    Just picked up 4 beauties yesterday for our brisket class on Saturday! They said they have a ton of them.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Wow, our Costco in Gaithersburg does not have anywhere near the prices they do elsewhere.  I looked this week and Beef Brisket Flat was $5.89/lb

My local Wegmans was at $6.99/lb, though.

Looks like I'll still get my next one at the Amish market which is usually $4.99, but I haven't checked recently.
    That's what the flats cost here, but I don't have to trim several pounds of waste off them. 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Costco in Knoxville has had prime @2.89 for several weeks.  Yesterday I was in and checked the meat case.  It was full of choice @2.99. I dug down and found 2 primes at the 2.89 price.  Needless to say they went home with me. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Chelnerul
    Options
    Thanks Chris. I will start going there.

Separately, I too have noticed 2/3 of the prime packers that I've seen at both Fairfax and Fredericksburg are laden with hard fat. Way more than I've seen before this year.
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Picked up a 13 lb Brisket this afternoon for $2.99 lb. Costco in Tri County/Springfield Pike  in Cincy.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    One of my Buddies that moved to TX a couple years ago sent me this pic yesterday.   He’s outside of FW. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
    Costco in Charlotte, NC had a bunch sitting out yesterday.  $2.99/lb, smallest was just north of 14lbs.  I think the price is fair, but the prime does have more fat on it, so the trimmed weight offsets some of the cost savings IMO.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Jacksonville FL finally  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Not in your area, but Novato California sometimes has them (and then again, sometimes not).  But they've been ~ $8.99/lb.  Thats for a full brisket.  Most places in the county only stock flats.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I was just at our Lancaster, PA, Costco and saw that they had Prime Packer briskets.  Never seen them before.  I didn't buy one this time but will give them a try in the near future.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Picked up a 14.5# prime packer at Costco in Winchester, VA. They only had 4 out but the one I chose seemed to be well trimmed and "squishy". This will be  a big part of my July 4th cookout. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I was just at our Lancaster, PA, Costco and saw that they had Prime Packer briskets.  Never seen them before.  I didn't buy one this time but will give them a try in the near future.

Hopefully they show up at ours in Sanatoga.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I was just a Costco here in Clovis last Thursday and picked up another one (got three in the freezer)  Meat manager told me that in a few weeks they will not be getting anymore because they will be going to the mid-west.  I'm going back and get another one or two tomorrow.  Just braised a flat I cut of today with wine, beef stock and mirepoix that was superb.  But I guess it was in my dreams cause no pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    Options
    I smoked a choice flat from Franklin, TN Costco this past weekend. I look for Prime brisket every time I go in there and I wish they would carry them. I am also interested in locating stores that carry prime brisket flats or packers.  I travel regularly along I-40 from Virginia to Oklahoma. 

Its not Costco but the Franklin Sam's had a 2 whole prime briskets today for $3.48 lb.
    Franklin, TN