Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Foodie Cities USA- (a salvage thread) Top Three (or more)

A subset "Best Foodie Cities USA" conversation is running just below the self-destructive surface of  the most respected OT - What are you doing right now?
So, here's a chance to stake your claim(s) and preserve the OT - What are you doing right now?  thread.  And it's only Friday eve.  
To start things off:
Austin, TX
Louisville, KY (home boy)
DC
Go forth and hammer this thread.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nashville, TN
    Austin, TX
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    San Francisco
    Los Angeles
    Atlanta
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited October 2017
    disregard...I can't decide on only 3
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Santa Fe
    New York
    San Francisco

(honorable mention to the Twin Cities of MN)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    New Orleans. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Los Angeles
    Phoenix
    New Orleans
    Chi-raq
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Memphis, NYC, Las Cruces, (New Mexico)
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Foghorn said:
    New Orleans. 
    Gets my vote too. French cooking technique meets Cajun flavor. In so many different ways. What's not to like?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    My house, Tx.
    Austin, Tx. 
    Quien Sabe?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Orangeburg SC - Earl Dukes BBQ
    Charleston SC- too many to name (seafood)
    New York City- hard to find a bad meal
    San Fran - Chinese
    Texas- Tex Mex, brisket
    Ribs-Louisville (Ron's and Suzy's)
    Breakfest- Dawsonville GA (Nicole's)
    Italian Sausage- Marks in PA
    Cajun- Nawlins 

just to name a few.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cmclean
    cmclean Posts: 45
    Y'all are much more travelled and cultured than I
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• Austin
    Vegas
    NOLA
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I retract my list too, and it really is kinda silly.
    By the time you've hit the top-10 restaurants in every major city in just one medium-sized state, one meal per night, two of them have already gone out of business, or landed under new owner$hip.  
    Still, a fair goal for my upcoming retirement: tent on the back of the bike, hit every major city in a state, eateateat, blog about it (and you all can subscribe for a modest amount TBD), yeah, I can do that!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    As mentioned-this is meant as an outlet for those who feel compelled to extoll their choices.  Who knows, there are likely to be some sleeper cities that make the thread.  Go Friday eve.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • If you really want to get serious with this sort of thing, you should ask what are the best cities for food, period, and not restrict things to only the US of A.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Socorro New Mexico.  Best Burger I have ever had.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Hey, if smashed olive loaf cold cuts and brisket one hit wonders make the cut, Quad Cities belongs in that group.

Whitey's and Lagomarcino's are the best.  =)

QC style pizza joints are popping up in Chitown too. Lol

Let's be real, seems like several of the cities mentioned, are tailored for one type of food/cuisine.  Which isn't bad, but second tier IMO.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Any city with one of these in it is the top foodie city!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    im not much of a fan for the high end places, i would just get a burger there anyways. but, let me work up and down the north east coast and hit the clam shack, lobster roll, oyster house, chowdah places and im all in. suppose if im in florida i would be looking for stone crabs, would be happy in new orleans eating a muffuletta in one hand and a drink in the other. best place i ate in nyc was just a small out of the way guiness place and the bar keep took out a giant crock of cheese and has some really great bread ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    im not much of a fan for the high end places, i would just get a burger there anyways. but, let me work up and down the north east coast and hit the clam shack, lobster roll, oyster house, chowdah places and im all in. suppose if im in florida i would be looking for stone crabs, would be happy in new orleans eating a muffuletta in one hand and a drink in the other. best place i ate in nyc was just a small out of the way guiness place and the bar keep took out a giant crock of cheese and has some really great bread ;)
    Good point. 

Let’s add Eastham, Mass to the list just for Arnold’s seafood. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    devastating, place burned down this summer, will rebuild but it will never be the same. butter, lobsters, steamers, real lobster rolls, byob, and butter.  sits right in a stinky low tide salt marsh with biting green heads, what more could you want.  creaky wooden floors hosed down at night, hope they can rebuild it to original instead of some new clean antiseptic crap

Image result for browns lobster pound
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've never travelled much, so from a very narrow perspective:

1 New Orleans, based a bit on food from people who started out in that area, and from Cajun and Creole recipes that inspired me to start cooking.

2 & 3 in no real order. Portland OR, Chicago, IL

Places I've had really good food:

Bloomington, IN
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Detroit, MI
    Traverse City, MI
    New York, NY
    Baltimore, MA
    San Diego, CA

An intersection somplace in the UP with a cafe that served spectacular pasties.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited October 2017
    Weird and out of the way....
    Lexington, TN - The WORLD capital of real whole hog cooking!  (Don't go on a Monday... the town is closed!)
    Tompkinsville, KY - Fried (in 1/2 of grease) smash burgers and chocolate gravy for your biscuits!
    San Pancho (San Francisco), MX - Taco Loco... It's an experience watching hogs being cut up right next to the table you're eating at and the best Carnitas EVER!! Yeah, I know it's not USA but close!

As an aside... The food in Nashville sucks!  Please don't come to Nashville! (Too dang many tourists here already!) ;)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2017
    Haven't been to many of the big cities so this is hard to answer. Out of the places I have been:

Nola
    Chucktown
    SF

In no particular order.
    LBGE
    AL
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Austin
    SanFan
    NYC
    Seattle
    USVI
    ATL
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    Chicago-- good variety on just about anything
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Kansas City
    Chicago 
    Minneapolis 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hans61 said:
    Kansas City
    Chicago 
    Minneapolis 
    While I am not personally familiar with the Minneapolis scene I understand it’s quite good. 
  • Jackson Ga.. Buckners great fried chicken
    Dixie Lee Junction Tn. Little Joes Pizza
    Memphis, Tn Grisantis Italian
    Huntersville N.C. Mickie & Mooches burgers
    Atlanta Bones steaks
    Panama City Captain Anderson's seafood
    Atlanta Hsu's Chinese food
    Alpharetta Original Pancake House breakfast you name it awesome !
    Marietta Taquaria Tsunami Asian Mexican 

LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.