Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roll for dinner

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835

With all the recent talk about cooking a Chuck Roll, I decided to give it a try. Bought an 18 pound one at Costco – USDA Choice, CAB.

I decided to cut it in half and freeze the other half so that it would take less time to cook.  I watched some Youtube videos and decided to cut off 2 Chuck Eye steaks and freeze them for a future meal.

Here it is after being cut in half – didn’t require much trimming since it didn’t have a lot of fat.  Significantly less fat than a brisket.  Just a few pieces of silver skin and a little hard fat.

I prepared it like a Brisket and covered it with mustard then added a rub with salt and pepper.

It weighed about 8 pounds and I put it on the BGE around 7:15 this morning.  Cooked it at around 250 raised indirect

Around 3 PM it reached 160 IT. I put it in a metal pan and added some bouillon and covered it with foil and returned it to the egg.

Around 4:45 it probed tender and was about 205 IT.  I FTC’d it for about an hour.  I decided to slice it into chunks and tried various parts of the roll and it was really great with lots of nice bark.

We were hungry and it smelled so good that I didn't take a whole lot of time taking the final photo.

Definitely worth the time and it came out better than any brisket that I have made in the past.  Not sure I will ever cook a brisket again.

Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments