Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet cooking time

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning to all. Last night I did some filets , bacon wraped on the BGE. Put on some country bob's season then about a teaspoon of brown sugar on top. I know it sounds weird to put brown sugar on steak but it was great! Here's my question why does it take so much longer to cook a bacon wraped filet than a regular strip? I did 3 min each side at full temp to sear it in then about 8 min. on each side at 300. They still had a small sliver of pink in the center. Had I cooked a NY stip this long it would have been toast. Keeping in the spirit of this forum that stupid questions can be asked. Whats the scoop on this. Thanks uncle Dave

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Uncle Dave,[p]Leaner cuts take longer to cook than those with more marbling. Thickness is a big factor too. I do my filet mignons (2" thick) for 5 min per side and sometimes as much as 10-12 min per steak if I want a real chared outside. I don't dwell - just keep flipping until done and I use a thermometer to tell if its done. A ribeye for that time would look like a black mass of carbon. [p]Tim