Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Crust Pork Chops Tonight

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nothing fancy, just some thick cut boneless pork chops that I cut myself. I am going to use Roasted Garlic Peppercorn Char Crust and grill them as hot as I can for 4 minutes each side and a dwell of 10 minutes.[p]I just put on some baking potatoes. I am doing a first time with them. Back at Eggtoberfest, the Egg Store had a sale on 9-inch ceramic baking dishes in Official BGE colors. I purchased on not knowing what I do with it. Well, I am trying it to bake the potatoes using indirect heat. I figure one hour at 325. After that I will let the egg take off and sear the pork chops.[p]Yum, I cannot wait.[p]Does anyone have a good idea to remove a hot ceramic baking dish from the egg?[p]RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I also have one of those dishes and have never used it. I was going to try deepdish pizza in it but never got around to it.[p]I don't think 1 hr will do it on the potato. I wrap mine in foil along with a pad of butter for 2+ hrs and 3 is still good. [p]Good choice on the Char-Crust![p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]So you want to know how to remove a hot ceramic baking dish from the BGE? I suggest you do so very carefully.[p]Sorry, but someone had to say it...[p]Cornfed
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]4/4/10? How thick are those puppies? We do lots of them and just grill like a steak of equal thickness. 140* internal is all you need for USDA "safe for consumption" with pork. Just seems like a lot of cooking time.[p]After scorching a couple of heavy BBQ mitts handling a hot pizza stone or plate setter, I picked up a pair of leather welders gloves.[p]Good eating to ya. For me it's leftovers, then bowling and brewskis with the boys tonight. Love those Tuesdays.[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Dinner is over and there are no leftovers. My two older children each ate two and even the little one had three helpings.[p]I had cut the chops about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. I grilled them 700 degrees. They came out in the Well to Well-Done stage, but still moist and that was just fine. I served them with Dixie Datilberry Jam, which is a raspberry and datil hot pepper jam. TimM was right; the potatoes should have cooked longer. After an hour, I pulled the ceramic dish carefully out by tilting the dish up with tongs and sliding a cast iron skillet under it. I was able to carry it that way. I put the potatoes in the oven to finish off at 350. Only the big one was not totally done, it was al dente.

To Cornfed; touché. I had that one coming.[p]The simple pork chops were simply great.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• bdavidson
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Have you tried SW spicey Char Crust on chops? They're our favorite. Garlic Peppercorn is a close second.
    bd

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Them porkers sound plum good,if Bama ever gets civilized,I'm gonna find some Char Crust to try.
    I found an old extra grill out of one of my old smokers that had a raised lifting handle on each side,I set the pans and stuff on that grill,still gotta use gloves,but the dishes are easy to lift out.Good luck. Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I did have the Spicy SW Char crust in my hands, but I opted for Garlic Peppercorn.
    Here is my ranking of Char Crust Flavors:
    1. Hickory Molasses
    2. Original
    3. Garlic Peppercorn
    4. Spicy Southwest
    5. Roto Roast (Very Salty)[p]That is just my ranking. For the Spicy SW, try laying down a layer of hot pepper first and then apply the Char Crust. It kicks the heat up just enough.[p]RhumAndJerk

• bdavidson
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I agree with you on the Roto Roast's standing. It's my least favorite as well. I've used the original and molasses hickory on pork butts as well (when I've run out of JJ's and am in a bind) and it works quite well. They're also great on chicken.
    Reminds me...I need to get more CC!

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Hit the website and order the variety pack. You will have fun trying all the different flavors on all different meats.[p]RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Char Crust[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I rank them the same way. [p]Tim