Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lazy man's question

Options
hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am far too lazy to turn wings. Far, far too lazy. [p]So. I have a couple of extra grills, and what I have been doing is to place the wings on one grill, place a second grill, same size on top, and then use twist ties at three places. I then turn wings by flipping the grills.
This worked very well with a small, guess 15 inch, setup, leftover from one of those damn water smokers I rusted out. So, I went to Lowes and got an extra 18 incher and did same thing with the porcelain egg grill, and i kind of had a mess, seemed like I hadn't secured the thing enough places.[p]Anyway, any thoughts on how best to secure? More twist ties? Use something else?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    hounddog, that is LAZY!!! Just flip them thangs ... in between sips of beer! Or maybe try a a fish basket![p]Smokey[p]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    hounddog,
    Awesome idea..let us know if you get it worked out
    maybe some type of hook secured to one and latched to the other in various places?????
    my $.02[p]Wess

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Smokey,
    Yes. I was going to suggest the same thing. Some sort of gripper hook that would hold the two grills together with a make-shift hinge on the opposite side. You'd have to be sure that the two sides were fastened tight enough so that whatever is held between them wouldn't fall out during flippage.

• char buddy
    Options
    hounddog,
    I use a grill basket designed for veggies and such. It holds 25 wingettes. It has a detachable handle so that whenit is sitting on the grill it looks a little like that rig you tried to make. The detachable handle doesn't work too well, so you have to put gloves and flip it take way. But it flips easily enough. I have not tried it uncut wings. [p]I got it at the BBQ store, the one in Texas that sells Willie's ceramic chicken sitters - my all time favorite waste of money. I've had to buy four of'em because I keep dropping'em after finishing off the beers I put in'em.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    hounddog,
    I made one for my egg,i used 2 small chrome key rings on one side for the hinges and a stainless steel carriage bolt with a washer and wing nut on the other side,works great.I flip them with the grid gripper.[p]Larry

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    bd,
    Flippage. My brand new favorite word! Thanks for coining it.
    Cheers,
    G.

• hounddog
    Options
    Perhaps what i want to do is get three carriage bolts, each with a big washer and a big wingnut. Then i could crank down everywhere. I am not sure the "hinges" you talk about would be tight enough for my kind of lazy. I have both hands free and holding the two grills together as tight as i could manage and I still lost a couple. So i want something tight i think.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    hounddog,
    The one bolt and the 2 key rings hold the wings real tight.[p]Larry

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bd, Not only is "flippage" a great word...I think it is the fun part. Plus I have found direct wings to need some moving around to utilize the hot spots. Otherwise known as "selective flippage and movage"
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • hounddog
    Options
    Ok then I will give it a try
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, I agree, wings need to be shuffled about on occasion to account for hot spots. There's the lazy man's approach and there's compromising the end results; IMHO, a flip of an entire grill would be a compromise. Nothing worse than a burnt and/or undercooked slimy wing, again just MHO.
    ps--It's a great phrase from bd, but working in the moving industry, I know that there is already a 'Selective Moving and Flippage' company in business and bd may in violation of a registered trademark at this point......
    BBQfan1

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    "Selective Movage and Flippage" is actually a rock group. I have all of their albums...both on vinyl and CD. I would be careful about the trademark thing.[p]Happy flippage.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Nature Boy and Fan,
    The term,"Flippage," mentioned in my previous post, is used by permission. No trademark infringement. I am vice president of the Flippage fan club. Thanks, nonetheless, to both of you for the kind words.
    bd

• bdavidson
    Options
    Gretl,
    Thanks, it's a French import, pronounced "Flee-pahj," and is defined as, "to turn over with authority and purpose."
    :-)
    bd

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 10
    Options
    hounddog,
    there are also fish flippers that do this, i have a square one with a handle, the whole basket opens up and a ring on the handle secures the opening. I never thought of using it for wings until now but will use it the next time i do wings.