Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Prepping for a Friday night party:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Looks great @JohnInCarolina.  Football is definitely ABT season.  Did you eat the other half already... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Watched The Accountant last night.  He had some sweet armaments.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Looks great @JohnInCarolina.  Football is definitely ABT season.  Did you eat the other half already... ;)
    Great questions.  I agree with you regarding that.  I am a fan of using the top of the pepper on these as well. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Enjoying some fall like temperatures.

They closed some schools around here and pushed Football game times back.

Some schools don't have air and ambient classroom temps are 100+

Looks like some relief is ahead.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    kl8ton said:

We'll send this morning's snow your way!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• kl8ton
    Options
    Botch said:
    kl8ton said:

Whoooaaaa!  Easy there.  I want to taper in to winter.  Snow can come on 12-24.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Been playing on the 4720 today.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@kl8ton  I like the way you roll.  I miss that kind of stuff.  If I lived near you, I'd volunteer to help out with your projects.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    Been playing on the 4720 today.  
    Quite the Playboy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I just can't make this stuff up.  

I went home to start working on some fence so the turkeys can graze. Seeing the chicken barn reminded me that the power was not working out there.  I usually am out feeding the chickens and turkeys before work in the dark. I have no extra time in the morning to investigate and I don't think of it until I am back out there again in the dark.  The breaker was tripped so I flipped it back on.  Still no power.  I went up to the "hay loft" where power comes in.  I thought maybe a recent repair I did was too blame.  I doubted that it was but the kids have made themselves a fort up there so I suspected some sort of shenanigans. 

Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I just can't make this stuff up.  

I went home to start working on some fence so the turkeys can graze. Seeing the chicken barn reminded me that the power was not working out there.  I usually am out feeding the chickens and turkeys before work in the dark. I have no extra time in the morning to investigate and I don't think of it until I am back out there again in the dark.  The breaker was tripped so I flipped it back on.  Still no power.  I went up to the "hay loft" where power comes in.  I thought maybe a recent repair I did was too blame.  I doubted that it was but the kids have made themselves a fort up there so I suspected some sort of shenanigans. 

Oh that was nice of them. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Eoin said:
    @kl8ton are you allowed to kill / butcher your own and sell them? Plenty round here do, but it's not officially allowed. For larger animals we are not officially allowed to kill and butcher for our own consumption, must be done at an abatoir.
    To my knowledge, yes.  I am sure I can't sell directly to restaurants and grocery stores.  I will have to look into where the line is drawn.

@kl8ton around here we can raise what you want for your own consumption, as long as you have the property as the township mandates.  How they come up with some things I do not know. 1/5 acre per fowl, min of 5 acres to have pigs, then one for every additional half acre you own. Beef I believe starts at 10 acres then 1 for every 1 you own.  Sheep and goats: minimum 2 acres and one for every additional half.....
    Again, I applaude your effort.

Freedom rangers are the breed we liked for the ability for them to free range in the open as you said. They are better tasting for that reason.  Seeing the Cornish not being able to stand and just feed/stuff their beaks all day was just not right in my opinion. Commercially I get it, but was not right for us.  Having a place that processes them for you as you described sounds like a perfect system.

I would love to follow a thread of yours as they progress with this flock of birds. If you are interested that is.  Can't speak for all, as I think many do not want to admit what meat really is.  Even my wife - if eating a good steak/lamb chop/pork something.... if she pictures the animal in her head she will just stop and she is done for the meal. Sometimes it actually works to my favor and I get a double portion.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @Sea2Ski

I will start a thread right now! 

Grand Rapids MI
  • thetrim
    Options
    Let's all have a moment of silence for @lousubcap his liquor and his liver!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Nice evening 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:
    kl8ton said:

Whoooaaaa!  Easy there.  I want to taper in to winter.  Snow can come on 12-24.
    We wanted to, too.  Ten days ago it was too hot to mow the lawn.  :bawling:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Nice evening 
    It was a little north as well. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Just put this on the kid's shelf in her room.  No parental help on this.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I'm throwing a bunch of dogs and burgers on the egg.  Our preacher is dropping off his 6 kids to eat and watch football and it just may give him and his wife a few hours of alone time. 
    Right now the whole house smells like homemade chocolate chip cookies  :)  It should be a intresting afternoon. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sounds like they've had plenty of alone time.  :o
  • thetrim
    Options
    This Valiano Beach just North of the St Augustine Pass.   I'm not 100% sure, but I think these bouys work better when they are in the water.   

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Going for a run when I get the energy to get off my a$$ and quit reading this forum.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2017
    Options

Got a decent deal on some pork sirloin roasts a few weeks back.  I just put one on.  Rubbed it as normal, then applied a mixture of apricot jam thinned out with jalapeno juice.

It's shaping up to be a good day - puttering in the shop - tunes playing - and smelling Q all afternoon - life is good.

Phoenix 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Watching the tree guys take down four trees. They brought a wood chipper with them. Cats are going bat $hit because of all of the noise. We decided to leave one of the Bradford pear trees for overhead cover for the outdoor cat. We have lots of hawks around here. They withstood the winds and rain from Irma, so, hopefully, we made the right decision.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Used Rutland Gasket for sale $1 OBO. 

• DoubleEgger
    edited September 2017
    Options
    In all seriousness, that gasket held up well against three days of roaring fires in a used XL base. The Permatex is the weaker link.