Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All these posts on expensive charcoal

Options
DynaGlide
DynaGlide Posts: 54
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
I guess i must just be lucky. $13 always in stock at home Depot less than 5 miles away. Made in USA. I briefly considered trying these fancy bags everyone talks about but if it ain't broke.

Pic didn't work but they're RO
2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Whatever works for you.
    And, it is Friday eve.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Don't ever buy a bag of Rockwood. You'll never be able to quit. 

I was like you once, perfectly content with Royal Oak. Then one day I bought a bag of Rockwood and it ruined my life. I had to buy pallets. Take a second mortgage out on my home. Drink cheaper bourbon. All to get that Rockwood clean burn. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I do not like the flavor BGE lump, or rockwood lump leaves on the food. Clean burning lump for me.
    Rockwood.
    I got no problem with inexpensive bourbon, and no problem buying skids.
    I do get the shakes when I am down to my last 5-10 bags though.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Keep eating campfire food if you like.  I guess I'm one of the many that doesn't know how to burn a fire clean.   I'm a Rockwood guy in n out.    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit Drink cheaper bourbon?  You poor bastard! RW @stlcharcoal aren't you ashamed of yourself? :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
     RW @stlcharcoal aren't you ashamed of yourself? :lol:

Yeah shame on me, BGE, Flameboss, and every other company that strive to do something better, when an adequate product already exists.
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    Just got a Rockwood shipment from firecraft today. I spent over $1,000 to buy the egg, I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks for quality charcoal. To each his own. 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Just as long as you aren't using Cowboy. Using Cowboy with a $1000.00 Green Egg is like filling up a Porsche with cheap rotgut moonshine.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @blasting covers all responses   hands down.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • MrA46221
    Options
    I just ordered some Jealous Devil on Amazon, it's 35 lbs. for $44. I'm still new and it rated well on the naked wiz, thought what the hell. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @MrA46221 - nice move.  Always good to give something new (that hasn't been really trashed here) a go.  It all burns.  Hope it works out well.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MrA46221
    Options
    Ha! For sure. I got an egg to make amazing food and have an excuse to start fires in my backyard at will. 
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Use Rockwood and KJ for long cooks but tried Fogo and it's hard and huge chunks I like it but it pricy.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I see that Friday is starting early here....... :) 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I do not like the flavor BGE lump, or rockwood lump leaves on the food. Clean burning lump for me.
    Rockwood.
    Im confused

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    Options
    It's a lack of sleep thing.  Trust @YukonRon with the virtues of Rockwood to his last bit of dust.  ;)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    Im confused
    That's the cheap bourbon talking.  Sorry, inexpensive bourbon.
  • MrA46221
    Options
    My 100 proof Evan Williams has a nice long burn for $14.99! So maybe the weekend has started early. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    It is Friday eve.  Go forth and seek out LEO or beyond.  
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    Im confused
    My bad. I need to keep it to one word on the best:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @YukonRon why are you not asleep?  Maybe we are your problem. Hmmm...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Royal Oak works great I have never had a complaint cooking with it. To each their own I guess. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon why are you not asleep?  Maybe we are your problem. Hmmm...
    Working in the lab tonight, you guys keep me from going nuts. Waiting on some test results.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Rockwood.
    Im confused
    My bad. I need to keep it to one word on the best:
    Rockwood.
    That is all.
    Yeah I was yanking your chain. We knew what ya meant. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lit said:
    Royal Oak works great I have never had a complaint cooking with it. To each their own I guess. 
    You're an idiot. RW is truly much better. Live in your happy place and be half way up the mountain.  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have yet to try Rockwood, because the stupid Prop 65 rules in the nanny state of California make it difficult to do business here. I have been quite content with Fogo. Delivered to my door free, big chunks, burns well and lasts a long time. I know that Rockwood will someday be in this area, but with tax it will be almost the same price as Fogo. We shall see when that time comes. I am certainly open to see what the holy grail of charcoal can do for me!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Yno said:
    I have yet to try Rockwood, because the stupid Prop 65 rules in the nanny state of California make it difficult to do business here. I have been quite content with Fogo. Delivered to my door free, big chunks, burns well and lasts a long time. I know that Rockwood will someday be in this area, but with tax it will be almost the same price as Fogo. We shall see when that time comes. I am certainly open to see what the holy grail of charcoal can do for me!
    Coming soon......maybe another month?

The shipping will most likely be "free", but like any "free shipping", you're still paying for it no matter how we spin it.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    @Yno - Spare the Air Day guidelines will expand to where you can only BBQ every other Thursday between 1:12AM and 2:37AM. Your neighbors will be watching you.  :o
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.