Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    johnnyp said:

Just bought a Casper Mattress.  Let's hope it lives up to the hype

It came today! It's hard to believe that is a king sized bed. 
    Hopefully you don't have to put it back in there if a return is necessary
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    About to put some jerk chicken wings in the SV:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice wangs.   Stevie like Wingy!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am thinking about going to the doctor to get a sleep study done. I have 6 hours sleep since Sunday. I have cut out all caffeine, and sugar, am taking sleep enhancement meds, and can not shut down. Typical night's sleep for me is 4.5 hours/night. Not even getting close to that now.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I am thinking about going to the doctor to get a sleep study done. I have 6 hours sleep since Sunday. I have cut out all caffeine, and sugar, am taking sleep enhancement meds, and can not shut down. Typical night's sleep for me is 4.5 hours/night. Not even getting close to that now.
    Really sorry to hear that Ron.  Duke has a top notch sleep clinic if you want to pay a visit.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    YukonRon said:

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I feel you Ron.  My sleep machine tracks my sleep.  Over the last 30 days my rolling average is 2.7 hours per night.

Phoenix 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @YukonRon   Good luck. I went through a spell like that about six months ago and 2 years ago. It was brutal. Thought I was gonna go crazy. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Chillin' 
    That's an awesome view brother Double. 
    On a seperate note, my hammer is longer than your feet. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @YukonRon - you need to get checked out.  No need to be wondering why the no-sleep pattern.  There is no good outcome from the continuing behavior.  Good luck.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Are the propellers strong enough to fetch and carry you some Sheetz back to the house when needed?!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have heard there is a take home version that may be worth doing prior to the full blown hospital version. My experience with the hospital test was negative. Having said that, if you have apnea, it is paramount to get it treated prior to suffering potentially severe consequences. Good luck, don’t wait too long. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - you need to get checked out.  No need to be wondering why the no-sleep pattern.  There is no good outcome from the continuing behavior.  Good luck.  
    This is good advice Ron.  Start with your internist first.  No sleep is no bueno for health maintenance.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    BrookieP said:
    johnnyp said:

Just bought a Casper Mattress.  Let's hope it lives up to the hype

It came today! It's hard to believe that is a king sized bed. 
    Hopefully you don't have to put it back in there if a return is necessary
    Nah.  They actually have a pretty cool model.  

Apparently it's impractical to ship mattresses everywhere. As a return, they arrange for a charity to come up the mattress.  They refund your money and then write it off as a charitable contribution.  One of the reasons we picked Casper is that they arrange the pickup if need be. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    DMW said:
    Got a new toy delivered today.

Not all that fancy, but via a coupon code I got it for $40.

Took a few videos, still getting the hang of it.

https://youtu.be/a1aVg6N42QA

https://youtu.be/LnwgpasATUE

A couple more hours of practice and I think you'll be ready to hit the DRL circuit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZmSNL_0r8
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,474
    Options

It wasn't on my "bucket list", but today I had half a cup of Luwak coffee, courtesy a gift from a Sri Lankan Foreign Military Sales (FMS) representative. Fallen coffee beans are eaten by the palm civet, a half-cat/half-weasel-looking critter, which pass through the civet's digestive tract (civets don't sleep well, I'm told) and are "harvested" by the locals (huh, guess I only have the SECOND-worst job in the world), cleaned, "sanitized", roasted and ground for coffee. 

It tasted like ****, but I'm not a coffee drinker so what do I know? It's the world's most expensive coffee at $300/lb, but like an iPhone X, I'll pass.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Chillin' 
    Fantastic view.  Glad someone got a little relaxing in today.  You should invite @YukonRon and maybe he could fall asleep there.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Just ordered 100 of these.

I will be feeding them all natural, non GMO feed.  They will enjoy some pasture area.  They will be ready for my large big green egg in 8 weeks.

@kl8ton Amazing how fast they grow, isn't it.  Just a few questions if you do not mind:
    1) Do you sell on the side and is that why you bought so many? 100 birds, even factoring in a high mortality rate (which I hope you do not have), is a lot of chicken.
    2) I have done the raising, but had to get someone else to slaughter/butcher. Also did the slaughter and butchering of another persons birds, but not on that scale. Do you slaughter and butcher all yourself? Or do you have someone come to your place and do it? Or do you take them somewhere? I just could not kill my own birds after taking care of them, raising them and protecting them from other predators. Ironic, but true...

Regardless of any answers, kudos to you. Very few people out there ever experience raising an animal from days old to having them on the plate. I think anyone who eats meat should do that in some form and some way  at some point in their life to understand any and all meat was an animal with a life and even personality at one point. Tip of the hat to you....
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I'll get back at you @Sea2Ski

Outside founders at night. 

Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Very few people out there ever experience raising an animal from days old to having them on the plate. I think anyone who eats meat should do that in some form and some way  at some point in their life to understand any and all meat was an animal with a life and even personality at one point. Tip of the hat to you....
    If anything could destroy a barbeque forum quicker than multiple "anus" posts, I think you just won it.  
     :| 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Chillin' 
    Fantastic view.  Glad someone got a little relaxing in today.  You should invite @YukonRon and maybe he could fall asleep there.
    That's a nice view. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just read about the newest, hottest pepper that is rated at 3.18 million Scoville units.It is called Pepper X, grown here in the USA. You can not buy it in its pure form, as it is only available in a sauce. When introduced, the first 1000 5oz bottles sold out in less than 90 seconds, at $20.00 each, limit two. The sauce is called "The Last Dab".
    When does it become too hot?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited September 2017
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Just read about the newest, hottest pepper that is rated at 3.18 million Scoville units.It is called Pepper X, grown here in the USA. You can not buy it in its pure form, as it is only available in a sauce. When introduced, the first 1000 5oz bottles sold out in less than 90 seconds, at $20.00 each, limit two. The sauce is called "The Last Dab".
    The Hot Ones is one of my favorite Youtube shows. I typically hate 95% of what celebrities spew out their mouth but I do enjoy what this show brings. The show itself is a wing challenge. If the celebrity eats all the spicy wings they get a 30 second plug at the end of the show. The last hot wing they put on a extra "dab" of hot sauce on it. Cool to see Hot Ones make a second sauce. Their other hot sauce is supposed to be really good. 

https://youtu.be/trRc1_CATfo
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    kl8ton said:
    Just ordered 100 of these.

I will be feeding them all natural, non GMO feed.  They will enjoy some pasture area.  They will be ready for my large big green egg in 8 weeks.

@kl8ton Amazing how fast they grow, isn't it.  Just a few questions if you do not mind:
    1) Do you sell on the side and is that why you bought so many? 100 birds, even factoring in a high mortality rate (which I hope you do not have), is a lot of chicken.
    2) I have done the raising, but had to get someone else to slaughter/butcher. Also did the slaughter and butchering of another persons birds, but not on that scale. Do you slaughter and butcher all yourself? Or do you have someone come to your place and do it? Or do you take them somewhere? I just could not kill my own birds after taking care of them, raising them and protecting them from other predators. Ironic, but true...

Regardless of any answers, kudos to you. Very few people out there ever experience raising an animal from days old to having them on the plate. I think anyone who eats meat should do that in some form and some way  at some point in their life to understand any and all meat was an animal with a life and even personality at one point. Tip of the hat to you....
    @Sea2Ski

Yes, it is crazy how fast they grow.  The cornish rock is bred that way.  This is the breed you are seeing 99% of the time in the grocery store and at your butcher.  This breed is set up to grow slower the first 4 weeks to allow their legs to develop enough to carry the huge amount of weight they put on in the last 4 weeks.  I personally don't feel good about how fast they grow.  They are set up to maximize profit.  The less you have to feed them and the quicker they are ready to eat, the more money you make.   If this breed works out, I want to try the freedom ranger breed.  They are a mix between these commercial broilers and the heritage breeds and are ready in 9-11 weeks.  The freedom rangers are foragers and are great for raising in a pasture environment. This is my first go-round with meat birds in my adulthood. My grandfather helped us raise chickens when I was a kid.  I remember them barely able to walk when it came time to butcher them.

To answer your questions:
    1) I will sell them on the side.  If I don't count labor or electricity, I estimate I need to sell about 60 birds to break even.  I can put the rest in my freezer.  People around here go crazy for non GMO, organic chicken that was allowed to see the light of day.  I can sell for $3.50 per pound (averaging $21 per bird). Another reason I bought so many is, I am already doing the work, feeding 30 takes the same amount of time and effort as feeding 100.  (I haven't counted lately but I think i have roughly 70 in the hen house that I am taking care of every day.)

2)Eventually I want to be set up to butcher my own, but I am not there yet.  We used to do it when I was a kid, but it is a pretty big production.  There is a place about 30 minutes from me that you make an appointment a couple weeks in advance.  They do it for $3.50 per bird and they weigh, vacuum seal, and label them.  The night before the appointment, you go and get cages to put them in.  5 birds go in a cage.  You bring the birds to the processor the morning of your appointment and by the afternoon you can pick them up.

Eventually as I get our property set up, I would like to raise pigs, steers, sheep, etc.  Not on a huge scale, just a few at a time.

Grand Rapids MI
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @kl8ton are you allowed to kill / butcher your own and sell them? Plenty round here do, but it's not officially allowed. For larger animals we are not officially allowed to kill and butcher for our own consumption, must be done at an abatoir.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Eoin said:
    @kl8ton are you allowed to kill / butcher your own and sell them? Plenty round here do, but it's not officially allowed. For larger animals we are not officially allowed to kill and butcher for our own consumption, must be done at an abatoir.
    To my knowledge, yes.  I am sure I can't sell directly to restaurants and grocery stores.  I will have to look into where the line is drawn.

Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Options
    YukonRon said:

For me, a long time ago.  :blush: