Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chips vs. chunks

Just bought this at Sam's for $4.  Though I prefer chunks, I couldn't pass this up.  What do you use?

Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Chunk guy here
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I like chips for poultry and fish. Something you don't want to over smoke. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Both depending on how I can get the product.  Only oak I can get around here is Jack Daniels chips.  Prefer small chunks for the low&slow cooks but it all burns.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited September 2017
    Chunks only. I'll split a chunk into smaller pieces if I'm doing a quicker cook. 
  • Chunks here ....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Chunks. In order of use:
    Pecan
    Peach
    Sugar Maple
    Cherry
    White Oak
    Hickory
    Need smaller? Split or shave the chunks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chunks!

Flint, Michigan
  • When I grill hot and fast and want some smoke - chips.

Anything low and slow - chunks, dry.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Chips for the eggs.  I like Chigger Creek's chunk size, perfect for the egg, great quality wood too.
    http://www.chiggercreek.com/products.html?page=all

They are much smaller than the standard, I scatter them in the lump getting better coverage.  Hickory County Industries are the perfect size too.  Used to get them at Schnucks, as they're out of Mizzou as well.
    http://www.hickorycountyind.com/

Got tired of seeing unlit chunks after bbq smokes.  

Chunks go in the kettles and WSMs.
    Chips are poof, and gone.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Woodchunk said:
    Chunks of course
    Curious- why "of course?"
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • When I grill hot and fast and want some smoke - chips.

Interesting. I would be the exact opposite. Chunks for hot and fast and chips for low and slow. In a bge anyway. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    When I grill hot and fast and want some smoke - chips.

Interesting. I would be the exact opposite. Chunks for hot and fast and chips for low and slow. In a bge anyway. 
    This discussion makes me laugh.  Chunks and or chips both work well if you know where to put them.  In the egg as we all know, the fire burns downward and posteriorly 100% of the time.  Chunks and chips both work very well so long as you place them appropriately for your given cook, you can chose your smoke.  Personally I prefer chunks, but will throw in chips on occasion.  This is not a religion issue.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    edited September 2017
    My eggs, or lighting technique, must be different, as I never knew where it would go, even placing them towards the back in anticipation, or going a step further and placing a chunk over each place lit after the egg and fire were established/preheated.

We are dealing with a small fire in the egg, compared to other smokers when running low and slow.

Cook Sunday burned down at 7 o'clock, hot spot at 6.  

With higher temp grilling and pizza bakes, the 1 o'clock hot spot, on both my larges, is more frequent, but no 100% guarantee.  Burning downward when lighting from the top, yes, as it has to.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    Focker said:
    My eggs, lighting technique, must be different, as I never knew where it would go, even placing them towards the back in anticipation, or going a step further and placing a chunk over each place lit after the egg and fire were established/preheated.

We are dealing with a small fire in the egg, compared to other smokers when running low and slow.

With higher temp grilling and pizza bakes, the 1 o'clock hot spot, on both my larges, is more frequent, but no 100% guarantee.  Burning downward when lighting from the top, yes, as it has to.
    Not your Eggs Brandon, your are different ;)
  • Focker
    edited September 2017
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    My eggs, lighting technique, must be different, as I never knew where it would go, even placing them towards the back in anticipation, or going a step further and placing a chunk over each place lit after the egg and fire were established/preheated.

225 raised direct is different, but I like it.  :) 
    When I turn, crosshatch 15 min in or so, you can tell by the marks, or lack of them, where the fire/heat is at, rotating, evening things out. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

25 raised direct is different, but I like it.  :) 
    When I turn, crosshatch 15 min in or so, you can tell by the marks, or lack of them, where the fire/heat is at, rotating, evening things out. 
    What's cool is how each of us finds our own personal sweet spot.  You're in the groove.  Most here too.  Pretty cool.  Egghead country.
  • DoubleEgger
    bgebrent said:
    When I grill hot and fast and want some smoke - chips.

This discussion makes me laugh.  Chunks and or chips both work well if you know where to put them.  In the egg as we all know, the fire burns downward and posteriorly 100% of the time.  
    This isn't true at all. It all depends on how the charcoal is distributed in the egg. Smaller pieces will tend to ignite faster than bigger chunks so the fire will take a path of least resistance.  I always light in the center and often times the fire will burn out to the sides of the egg. 
  • Chunks burn longer.  But chips make it easier to control your smoke time.  Not gospel, just personal preference.  I have heard any bark on chunks will give you a funky flavor in your cook. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited September 2017
    Woodchunk said:
    Chunks of course
    Longer lasting and (wood..chunk)

lots  of oak on our property also

i do have some chips I use in a small offset smoker, but I have not used that smoker since I bought the egg
  • DoubleEgger
    Woodchunk said:
    Chunks of course
    Otherwise, his name would be Woodchip