Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

starters?

what do experienced eggers use to start their hardwood? chimney, paraffin, electric?
·

Comments

• GHEggerGHEgger Posts: 37
    I don't consider myself "eggsperienced", since I've only had my BGE a few months, but I LOVE MY MAPP TORCH!

Tried the paraffin cubes first, but the torch is awesome.
    ·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    dock,
    I like to use MAPP gas.
    Larry

[ul][li]Lighting Egg With MAPP Gas[/ul]
    ·
  • SuperDaveSuperDave Posts: 319
    dock,[p]
    I've used parrafin starters from either BGE or Wal Mart since I bought my egg. The first couple of cooks I used the Chimney to start the lump, it was just easier to light it in the egg to me, and the sawdust and parrafin starters and clean, simple and safe.
    Mapp gas would be faster, I'm sure, but I'll stick with what I'm using... if it ain't broke, don't fix it![p]Happy Egging!

·
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    dock, This propane weedburner works for me.
    Flame1.jpg
    Mike

·
  • jwirlwindjwirlwind Posts: 319
    FlaMike,
    Go with the weed buner. It is much safer and quicker than any other starter. You can purchase one at most hardware stores. [p]Chef Jerry

·
  • SigmoreSigmore Posts: 621
    SuperDave, Same here. 144 for 10 bucks at ACE. If I was in a hurry I'd get a gasser.

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,611
    dock, while I have a MAPP torch I have reverted to the tried and true Weber parrafin starter cubes. When I'm caught short I use Rutland SafeLite Fire Starters. Another matter is that in order to sell more cubes and blocks all of the manufacturers recommend using several to start your fire - that's pure marketing bunk IMHO! BTW I don't use a fire chimmey either - just bury the cube or block a little and let her rip.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    dock,
    I use a MAAP torch. -RP

·
  • dock, Mapp torch; fast starting, clean, easy, cheap.

·
  • Woody54Woody54 Posts: 148
    dock,[p]propane weed burner. I actually use it on weeds, too[p]Woody
    ·
  • dock,[p] Weber parafin starters ... clean, safe, no sparks no accidental burns. Why hurry with a fabulous BGE?[p]Tom B (EggSport)

·
  • dock,[p]One of those paraffin wood startes or fireplace 'matches' you get at the grocery store.[p]That and patience.[p]RE
    ·
  • penfreshpenfresh Posts: 103
    dock,[p]started with an electric started a couple of years ago, switched to the green gel. When it became unavailable I tried the cubes and am now back to electric. no smell with it.

·