Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool chicken cooking techniques

I see a few tricks I'm  gonna try next time I cook up a chicken.
https://youtu.be/uI9WGsFUhpI

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Looks good. Hanging it probably helps the skin dry and adds smoke. Dutch oven and then a sear. I'd eat it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I really want to try stuff like that! Reminds me of Mallmann...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think @Jeremiah made a rig for hanging chicken from the top of an egg.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
     Maybe another run for @20stone and @caliking before the wives get home.  A little rigging on the pit and waalaaa    

As much as I want to I just can't see it working with the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    edited September 2017
    Forget those guys, @SciAggie already has it done! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Carolina Q I'm going to look for a whole thawed chicken after work.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    SciAggie said:
    @Carolina Q I'm going to look for a whole thawed chicken after work.
    Looking forward to it! 

I actually have a fire pit on my patio and an old folding cooking grate that we used to use when camping. I even have a dogwood tree that has branched out OVER the fire pit (35 years later). I could hang a chicken from the tree, build a fire in the pit and put the DO on the folding grid. If only I had firewood. LOL

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    The PiT Barrel Cooker runs with the hanging process-just charcoal, no wood other than some smoke wood.  Will have to give the dutch oven follow-on a run some day when I'm ambitious.  No worries-not any time soon.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @lousubcap - how you liking the Pit Barrel?   I can see this cook between a barrel and and egg or even a barrel and a pile of briquettes- Dutch oven - an briquettes on top of the DO 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    @Mattman3969 talk about a high capacity, fire and forget rig, that is what it is.  I think it is best with chix-the dripping fat just yields quite a flavor.  Solid performance with ribs, especially if you want to crank out 8 racks and all you have is a LBGE.  For the $$ it has a place in the line-up.  As you know every cooking fuel results in a different flavor profile.  I would buy it again.
    @Jeremiah also has one.  Perhaps he will be along with his insights.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I've been contemplating this style of cooking for a little while. I think I'm going to have to rig me up a deal that can be setup over my fire pit and moved when done cooking. All you would need is something on one side to cook for coals and a metal hanging rack wider than the pit. @Carolina Q  I watched something the other day with him cooking something like this and it got me thinking about it. 

Hmm....   let me drink on this.  More to follow. 

Thanks for the inspiration.  

Also don't judge my fan and fire. My wife has already busted my balls. It's like 85 degrees out but it smells great. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    You could do that with a decent Santa Maria setup.  Grid down lower, ci do on part of the grid, chickens hanging from the crossbar, part of the grid to crisp up the chicken.  Just need one with enough real estate and rig something to hand the chickens.

• Carolina Q
    edited September 2017
    I think I'm going to have to rig me up a deal that can be setup over my fire pit and moved when done cooking. All you would need is something on one side to cook for coals and a metal hanging rack ...
    Me too. I trimmed my dogwood just a couple of days ago. Wasn't thinking about cooking, just that the branches were a bit too low when my boys come home and decide to channel their pyromania (i.e. bonfires). Anyway, I just went out to look and, directly above the fire pit is nuthin' but clear blue sky. Didn't realize I pruned as much as I did.

However, now that I think of it, I do have a 6' bird feeder hanger that would probably work. =)
    Single Deck Screw Mount

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    @SciAggie - my money is on you.  Love me some Shiner Bock as well.  Have a fun time playing with fire.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410

Cheers @SciAggie
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Legume said:
    You could do that with a decent Santa Maria setup.  Grid down lower, ci do on part of the grid, chickens hanging from the crossbar, part of the grid to crisp up the chicken.  Just need one with enough real estate and rig something to hand the chickens.

First I'd seen this setup was in the courtyard of a Spanish mission in San Juan Bautista, CA, buried in the ground up to the top of the "firebox".  
    I thought it was some kind of Inquisition-style torture device, and stared at it quite awhile trying to figure out how it worked.  d'Oh!   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Legume
    San Juan Bautista - 4th grade field trip for me.  Every kid in CA does a California Mission unit in school in 4th grade (or they used to).  I built a sugar cube Mission.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited September 2017
    Legume said:
    I did. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1172084/im-hanging-a-chicken-too/p1 Thanks for the shout out. It worked pretty well, maybe still better than spatchcock. The PitBarrel is even better, worth the price just for chickens, but turkeys, damn the PitBarrel is awesome for turkeys. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Jeremiah said:
    Legume said:
    I did. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1172084/im-hanging-a-chicken-too/p1 Thanks for the shout out. It worked pretty well, maybe still better than spatchcock. The PitBarrel is even better, worth the price just for chickens, but turkeys, damn the PitBarrel is awesome for turkeys. 
    I've had his pit barrel chicken. Really amazing. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    You're still dead Brent. #skeered. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Was contemplating burn barreling the T Day bird this year with the 22 WSM and Cajun Bandit spit at my Dad's. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• My son loves his Pit Barrel. @Jeremiah brought his to Butt Blast and won him over. The advantages for it to drip over the coals changes things greatly all the way around. Holds temp well and requires little to no intervention when using it...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Weber used to sell a rack for hanging stuff in their 18" & 22" WSM's. I used to hang ribs and chickens in mine until I got my KBQ.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    HeavyG said:
    Weber used to sell a rack for hanging stuff in their 18" & 22" WSM's. I used to hang ribs and chickens in mine until I got my KBQ.

I've got those racks for both the 18 and 22, found them on clearance for super cheap.

They work great for cold smoking whole belly.  Been wanting to make my own sausage, and use them for that.

I'm with ya on the KBQ, it's the chicken and rib combo killer.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    La Parrilla... this isn't chicken, but it would be great on here.  Good music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sdQ7qBiUyU

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @texaswig I bet you could build a chicken rig like that with stuff already in the Dodge House.

Its in there. Its calling out to you. You just have to find it...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @caliking I'm sure your right. I've got some cinder blocks and a couple of shopping carts. Tons of stuff to burn. Old peg board various stap pieces of wood. And even a bunch of old novels. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Cool set-up and approach.  I did get a lil annoyed that he kept calling the leg a thigh though.  Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    cazzy said:
    Cool set-up and approach.  I did get a lil annoyed that he kept calling the leg a thigh though.  Lol

Thank god I'm not the only one who thought that. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA