Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I love my new Big Green Egg!

Options
Big Jim
Big Jim Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ChickenDone.jpg
<p />I purchased a new small Big Green Egg last Monday, and I love it! Yesterday, I cooked my first chicken on this egg. I have cooked many chickens, but yesterday's result was easily the best ever. I have always preferred dark meat primarily because it is moister, but the breast on this chicken was unbelievably juicy and tender.[p]This forum is great. I found lots of answers to the questions I had about cooking with an egg, and in particular, how to cook indirect on a small egg.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Big Jim,[p]66a344f4.gif to the neighborhood. [p]Feel free to ask for anything you need and share what you know. That chicken is looking good. We love pictures around here. What kind of ceramic heat shield is under the dripping pan?? [p]~thirdeye~[p]PS loose the pop-out timer. 531fd5a2.png

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big Jim
    Options
    I meant to remove the pop-up timer, but I forgot. I promise it won't happen again.[p]The heat shield is an "Old Stone Oven" 8-inch round pizza stone. It is actually 8.5 inches in diameter, and about one-half inch thick. They come in a set of two for $20 from amazon.com so I can double the mass if I want.
    [ul][li]Old Stone Oven 8-Inch Round Pizza Stone[/ul]
  • GHEgger
    GHEgger Posts: 37
    Options
    Welcome from another "newbie"! That chicken sure looks tasty.... :)

Careful... EGGING IS ADDICTIVE. But, I think it's a good addiction! Enjoy your egg, and keep the pics coming!
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Big Jim,
    That pizza stone's a great idea!
    I've seen Mad Max does a thing where he puts the pan on 3 BGE feet so that the pan isn't directly on the stone. (He does that for his famed Turkey cook)[p]welcome to the neighborhood!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    IMG_0756.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,
    three copper elbows will do the same if you don't have the spare feet.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Big Jim,
    I like that picture in so many ways. It's a beautiful golden bird. And it is nice to see a gasket that's still gray and a dome that hasn't totally blackened.

• Big Jim, was the bird uniformly done or were the thighs a little under-cooked? I've had better luck placing the drip pan on the plate setter and the bird on the grid above it. When I cooked chickens down inside a drip pan, the thighs would not get done by the time the breast did. Just curious if your ecperience matches mine, and at what dome temp you cooked it?

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Big Jim,
    I share your success. Years ago, I bought a set of Spaneks. I cook all birds/fowl on them. My family will only eat fowl that is cooked vertically.[p]Heat flows over the outside of the bird & up the chimney. Thus, it cooks from both sides. Also, the fluids drain from both inside & outside. We do not save or use any drippings.[p]I have tried several setters. I dismissed the beer can after 1 try due to fears of the paint on the can & the metal.[p]Spanek is the only way I cook.[p]

• Big Jim, I also intended to ask if you have a beer can under them, in your holder, or not?

• Big Jim
    Options
    Chuck/Tx, the bird was uniformly done. My egg is a small, and using the vertical chicken roaster, the bird barely fit inside the dome with it down in the drip pan. Unless I get a bigger egg, putting the bird on a grid above the drip pan is not an option.[p]The dome temperature was a steady 300° during the cook.
  • Big Jim, noted, thanks. If it was uniformly done, that's all that counts, i.e. no need to change the set-up even if you could. I have a large egg and plan to cook two tomorrow. My wife likes leftovers for a meal the next day and also for other recipes.