Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on How to Reheat Prime Rib?

Options
I thawed out a +/- 3 pound chunk of boneless prime rib. It was cooked to medium rare so I don't want to cook it any further. Should I keep it in a plastic bag and put it into a pot of warm water? Something around 150 degrees maybe? 
Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you have a SV, that's the way to go, 135-140 is closer to medium IMO, 150 is getting into well done. Good hot tap water and monitor it (change it) to keep the temps right if no circulator - sounds like a great excuse to expand the cooking arsenal.  =)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I don't have a SV...yet. My tap water goes to 145 so I will try you method with my makeshift SV. Any idea how long to SV? The meat is 3 inches thick. Thanks.
  • OhioEgger
    Options

Here's the reheating guideline from Chefsteps:

A slab of meat—like a steak:

• 0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 20 min reheat time
    • 1 in (25 mm) thick: 1¼ hr reheat time
    • 2 in (50 mm) thick: 3½ hr reheat time
    • 2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 5½ hr reheat time

A cylinder—like a roulade:

• 0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 11 min reheat time
    • 1 in (25 mm) thick: 40 min reheat time
    • 2 in (50 mm) thick: 2 hr reheat time
    • 2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 2½ hr reheat time
    • 3 in (75 mm) thick: 3¾ hr reheat time
    • 3.5 in (85 mm) thick: 4¾ hr reheat time

A sphere shape—like a meatball or a round roast:

• 0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 8 min reheat time
    • 1 in (25 mm) thick: 25 min reheat time
    • 2 in (50 mm) thick: 1½ hr reheat time
    • 2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 2 hr reheat time
    • 3 in (75 mm) thick: 2¾ hr reheat time
    • 3.5 in (85 mm) thick: 3½ hr reheat time
    • 4 in (105 mm) mm thick: 5 hr reheat time
    • 4.5 in (115 mm) mm thick: 6 hr reheat time

Keep in mind: These are not pasteurization times! All the calculations above assume that the water’s temperature is between 110 °F / 45 °C and 175 °F / 80 °C. 

Also, some roasts are more slab than sphere, some legs of lamb are closer to cylindrical, and some things don’t really have a specific shape at all. For these types of meat, go with the average of the time to reheat the two shapes. For example, reheat a big slab of a roast for the average of the time to reheat a slab and a sphere of its size.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • 1voyager
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank-you. 5+ hours won't work. Time for plan B!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Can't see you reheating then slicing, so why not slice it before going into the hot tub? 1" thick is good in under an hour. My usual PR slice is only about 1/2" so the SV has it upto temp within 30-40 minutes, right out of the fridge. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 1voyager
    Options
    Just in case anyone is curious of the outcome. I used the 2-zone indirect method on the gasser to reheat the beast. Propped the lid open about 2 inches to keep the heat at about 185 degrees. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get it to 130 degrees. It came out moist and juicy. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i dont like reheated beef but theres french dip sandwiches and the pho to put thin slices on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Mmmmmmm pho

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I carve it into steak size portions and let them come to room temp. While they are warming I get a chimney of Kingsford Mesquite going in my Weber. Spread coals to a uniform thickness to get a pretty hot fire. Grille quickly, establishing a nice thin char on each side without letting the internal get too hot. Paint meat with garlic butter while it rests for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I would sv reheat 135 for an hour-1.5
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I carve it into steak size portions and let them come to room temp. While they are warming I get a chimney of Kingsford Mesquite going in my Weber. Spread coals to a uniform thickness to get a pretty hot fire. Grille quickly, establishing a nice thin char on each side without letting the internal get too hot. Paint meat with garlic butter while it rests for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
    I've done this once before and it worked it great, only difference was I painted both sides of the steaks with olive oil and and added s n p
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf