Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg owner -- egg not assembled properly?

Options

Hi everyone— Brand new egg owner here, eager to start contributing to the forum. But before I can do that, I think I need to make some adjustments to my large egg, which came assembled by my local dealer. I don’t think they did it properly. For starters, when they set the egg in the nest, they positioned it so that one of the nest supports was running across the bottom vent. I couldn’t even open the screen! I got a buddy over here to help me lift and rotate the egg, so now the vent is free. But now I’ve noticed that the bottom and top parts of the dome are not aligned properly.

If you look at the photo attached, you’ll notice you don’t see the vent. That’s because it is positioned near the back of the egg relative to the front handle. Only when I looked at photos online and watched the assembly videos did I realize the vent is supposed to be at the front — and for good reason. It’s easier to get to there. As it is now, I couldn’t position my egg up against my fence and still have convenient access to the vent. (You can also see in the photo that the BGE logo is askew relative to the handle. I think these guys just assumed it doesn’t matter how you line up the dome.)

I think I understand what I need to do, which is remove the bands and get this thing lined up correctly. My tentative plan is: Remove the two springs for safety, loosen the two bolts in the back, rotate both the bands and the top of the dome until they are in their proper positions, and then tighten the bolts back up and put the springs back in. (Note: It appears I have the newer-style bands for the large egg.) Is it as simple as that? I'm also wondering how helpful it would be to have the red assembly spacers -- I don't have them since the dealer put it together. I could certainly call up the dealer and try to get them back out here, but I’m not sure from the first go-round that these guys know what they’re doing.

I doubt a spatchcocked chicken would care whether this thing is aligned, but I figure I may as well get this egg lined up right. Thanks for any advice!

Side note: This bad boy won't be sitting in the grass for long -- just temporary until I get the patio area cleared.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

You're correct that the Spatchcock chicken would not care a lick, but my OCD would be going nuts.  My vote is to fix it.

But, no urgency.  welcome and have fun

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Wow.  You're dealer needs some serious help.  I would just loosen the bolt that tightens the bottom band and then spin the dome with the bands to the correct position (vent in front below handle). Then just re-tighten the bolt for the bottom band. 
    XL BGE
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    With the assembly issues I would confirm the firebox opening is aligned with the vent
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    With the assembly issues I would confirm the firebox opening is aligned with the vent
    And to help get the vent and firebox aligned I stick my hand in through the vent and rotate the firebox so my hand is in the middle of the opening. Good luck and welcome!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Wow, evidently your dealer doesn't pay a lick of attention to detail. what @SPRIGS said though. 
    Pratt, KS
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @HotTake  I might be a little more anal than most but if my egg came assembled and looked like that. I would have them back to my house and fix it. In most cases it is the hired help that is not paying attention or maybe new. I am willing to bet if the store manager knew about this he or she would have no problem fixing it. Most egg dealers I have heard about are great at customer service. My 2 cents. Oh and Yes Welcome to the Group

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    All that's been said above plus I would send the pictures to BGE customer service. That dealer does not deserve to sell BGE.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'm with @six_egg here.  Make them fix it otherwise the next customer order will be just as hosed up.  No need to continue the poor practice.  
    Also welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Once you get your BGE straightened out, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    As @SPRIGS said. Just loosen lower band bolt in back and spin. Also make sure both the top and bottom bolt are tight. The bolt will slightly bend when it's tight.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I had issues with the XL I bought last year. Sent the dealer pics and they were out in a couple of days to fix it. 
  • HotTake
    Options
    Thanks very much to everyone for the helpful responses. Right now I'm leaning toward taking care of this myself, but letting the store owner know that it wasn't done properly and they need better quality control. The good news is that the cashier didn't seem to know what he was doing either. He gave my wife 10% off when she paid for the egg just for signing up for a rewards account. As I told my wife later, I'm guessing BGE products were supposed to be excluded....

Time to get cooking.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That is kind of embarrassing for your dealer :) Good advice above! Good luck.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • calracefan
    Options
    If I remember correctly there is a small indention cast into the top and bottom that should align when the dome and bottom are mated up .
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Assembled on a Friday at the end of the day. No rush to correct but, that would make me :anguished:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My 2 cents:

BGE costs more than various other options you could have selected but didn't. Embedded in the premium price is the unconditional warranty and the strong, knowledgeable dealer network.  Based on the dealer's assembly, you didn't get what you paid for.  That may or may not be ok with you -- it's your money and the fix isn't particularly difficult to do yourself.  But when I pay for Heineken, if I get home and Busch is in the bag, I'm back at the store to be sure I got what I paid for.  

Thank goodness the forum is free!  That's the bargain of the century!

Welcome and enjoy the ride!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I'd take those pics on your phone and go back to the dealer, show them those pics, and ask "Is this the way it is supposed to be setup?".

Their response will tell you if you have a good dealer or not.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    That would drive me crazy! If you decide to fix it yourself, which I would.make sure to look at the pictures in the assembly manual as it looks like your nest is not quite right. There is a front and back to them.When you put it back together pay attention to the pictures. Good luck your almost there!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @MeTed - Good eye. The cross-member on the nest should go on the backside of the Egg.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Exactly!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Welcome, and your dealer sucks. 
    Jacksonville FL