Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwback Thursday

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    This was my second picture taken and posted. Not that I recall precisely, but I assume I did the ABT's as appetizers before we would eat the "old yellar mustard" coated ribs. And by the size and gauge of that grate I know that was a 13" wire one which I would have set on top of 2 vertical fire bricks - direct - on my large egg.

Thats a great cook whenever it happened.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I was waiting for that pic to surface.  Lmao. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Glad that made you happy! So did the $1,000 cash PLUS the Large BGE I won that day.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Glad that made you happy! So did the $1,000 cash PLUS the Large BGE I won that day.
    OH SNAP!!!!! LMFAO
    Haters gonn hate bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    April 20, 2014

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    All that money... still can't buy back your dignity.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    That is awesome Ron.
    Here is a rib comp we did August 11, 2007.

We took a Sam's bag of Tyson wings and a big bag of sweet corn to feed the crowd, a 30 pack for me and my bro.  Out of 14 teams, "Hot Mess" took home the hardware.  $250, trophy, and apron.  We were gonna call ourselves "Mesquite Skeet".  Almost wish we did in hindsight, having them announce our name, and getting on the radio airwaves. 

A couple teams hated so hard with their big trailer pits after the event, peanut butter and jealous.  I took my 18" WSM, and a OTS, a card table, and cooler lol....no EZ UP canopy or chairs.  We got blasted in the sun by the river.

My Dad was passing by after a car show.  Was special having him there for the call, as we were half-drunk and having fun.  We really weren't there for the comp aspect. Lol

The radio station called me the next day for their morning show.  I was on a fork truck in our lumberyard bullpen talking to the guys for a bit.  My brother was a WSM believer after that day.  He has since bought two WSMs and two Performers. A special day no doubt.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Maybe not the oldest, but some of my favorites. Good times. 
    RIP Jason. 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @RRP is that picture real or photo shopped? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I think the shirt was a gift.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    That just about made me crap my pants =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    It was from 11 years ago after I had won a contest for the second year running and both times I won $1,000 cash plus a new Large BGE. Both times I pocketed the $1,000 but donated both BGEs to Easter Seals for their silent auction. Seeing that the contest was held on an unshaded asphalt parking lot on that 100 degree day I'm surprised that I wasn't buck naked!..but to answer your question - no, that was a real photo taken by my wife here on our deck an hour later.
  • RRP
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Not a gift, but one I designed and paid to have made. That was the second year after winning the first so I knew others were gunning for me. So just to piss them off I thought it would be funny to give them a bulls eye.  BTW I was the only contestant both years cooking entirely by myself and the only one using a BGE. And yes it was a juried contest. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:
    Not a gift, but one I designed and paid to have made. That was the second year after winning the first so I knew others were gunning for me. So just to piss them off I thought it would be funny to give them a bulls eye.  BTW I was the only contestant both years cooking entirely by myself and the only one using a BGE. And yes it was a juried contest. 
    Incredible story Ron.  Amazing, really.  

Did you pay for more than one?  I bet some folks here would buy one or two if you still have them.  
  • Focker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:
    Again, just awesome all around Ron.  
    Having cooked with you several times, I know firsthand, you don't Fock around.  You would cook circles around these clowns.  Funny thing is, I'm not joking here.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:
    Having cooked with you several times, I know firsthand, you don't Fock around.  You would cook circles around these clowns.  Funny thing is, I'm not joking here.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

Who are the clowns you purport to be superior to Brandon?  I didn't think you were one to judge.  Am I wrong?
  • Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

Who are the clowns you purport to be superior to Brandon?  I didn't think you were one to judge.  Am I wrong?
    Come on man.  I think you're smart enough to figure that one out on your own holmes.  

Not judging, but gathering data over a time span, and being guided to this conclusion.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is no a BGE cook either. But it's the oldest cook that I have on my phone. 
    A true southern delicacy. 
    Deep fried soft shell crabs. 
    6-6-16. 

Deep fried shrimp. 

Deep fried crab claws. 

A small boil to compliment the deep fried main course. 

A trip down memory lane. 

Im surprised that I don't have pics older than that. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

Come on man.  I think you're smart enough to figure that one out on your own holmes.  

Not judging, but gathering data over a time span, and being guided to this conclusion.

Judging bro.  KKK post was not cool.  I'm just sorta smart.  Not genius by a long shot.  Living what I believe is a good life.  Surprised you can't discern comedic interaction from insult.
  • Focker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

Judging bro.  KKK post was not cool.  I'm just sorta smart.  Not genius by a long shot.  Living what I believe is a good life.  Surprised you can't discern comedic interaction from insult.
    Comedic to who, you?  And the "gang"?
    I know, Ron isn't laughing.
    I know, I haven't.  
    There may be a few others, not laughing.

Baffling, how a group here, bullies such a nice guy? 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

Comedic to who, you, and the "gang"?
    I know, I haven't.  

Baffling, how a group here, bullies such a nice guy.  
    KKK wasn't comedic to anyone I know here in the south.  It was in fact repulsive. 
    We all know Ron is a good guy who made a terrible post about prostate cancer. That's irrefutable. That you interpreted the response to Ron's post as acceptable is your failure. There has been bullying on this website, but not here. Either participate here or quit. Personal choice. 

• Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

I know, I haven't.  

KKK wasn't comedic to anyone I know here in the south.  It was in fact repulsive. 
    We all know Ron is a good guy who made a terrible post about prostate cancer. That's irrefutable. That you interpreted the response to Ron's post as acceptable is your failure. There has been bullying on this website, but not here. Either participate here or quit. Personal choice. 

Are you high?

His menu in one day is crazy.
    I've had Monkey bread, Clay's Hodags, Georgia Red Wings, Kahlua cake, chili, and there are probably a couple others I missed, with one large egg.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    g8golfer said:

I know, I haven't.  

Are you high?

His menu in one day is crazy.
    I've had Monkey bread, Clay's Hodags, Georgia Red Wings, Kahlua cake, chili, and there are probably a couple others I missed, with one large egg.  
    Brandon,
    I'm not high and I'm not sure what you mean.  I am sure you posted KKK **** on here inappropriately and that Ron has been hypersensitive.  We are a group of educated friends.  Open to each and everyone of our brothers on this forum.