Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

living the life of Riley...with ABT's on the way!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
Nothing like sippin a cold one while waiting for 27 ABT's to cook. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ron, if I had just half of your money, I would be living the life of Riley as well =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I hope you don't have food in there that egg isn't burning clean. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job!  Don't forget the Tums!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Who is "Riley"? 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Who is "Riley"? 
    I think that's @SGH's real name. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    yljkt said:
    Who is "Riley"? 
    I think that's @SGH's real name. 
    If that was so brother Horn, he would be starving to death. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I will say that football season is the time for cranking out ABT's.  I use them as my entry into the tailgates or neighborhood watch parties (college-not the No Fun League til playoffs).  Pain in the a$$ to prepare but definitely crowd pleasers.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    RRP said:
    Between the Raging River rub and the apple chunks the bacon got a little darker than usual, but man-o-man are these tasty! 3 of them didn't even survive the trip in from the deck! =)

I would say you practiced a bit of self restraint if you only downed three of those on the trip in from the deck. Looks great.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nice Job @RRP they look so good. I love your Sig statement "Re-gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time..."  So true.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Awesome cook!  I've found that I don't need to toothpick them anymore... the bacon 'sticks' as is.  May save you a little time in prep work - AND EATING!!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Awesome cook!  I've found that I don't need to toothpick them anymore... the bacon 'sticks' as is.  May save you a little time in prep work - AND EATING!!
    Thanks - but all of these had just a half strip of raw bacon and when wrapped there was little flap to lap over so pinning was necessary due to typical shrinkage of raw bacon.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I haven't made ABTs in ages, but I, too, use half a strip of bacon, and I'm positive the bacon would unravel if I didn't.  I love those things.  Someone here suggested pimento cheese instead of the cream cheese, and that sounds even better to me.  Gotta try it one of these days.

Ron, your ABTs look scrumptious!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Theophan - I adjust the filling for the expected crowd.  For the football tailgate I will cook up hot sausage or chorizo, then mix in habanero cheese for the filling.  Pulled pork with the right cheese for the heat is also a great win as is freezer recovered brisket flat.  
    In truth, you can't mess up ABT's.  Just tailor for the masses.  
    This time of year I crank out around 40-50 per week (average) til the end of the football season.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ... This time of year I crank out around 40-50 per week (average) til the end of the football season.  
    Holy TOLEDO!!!  That's amazing!

I don't know why I find them kind of a pain.  I don't know that I spend a lot more time fiddling with them than most other cooks, but cutting in half and scraping out the jalapeños, putting in a dab of cheese, add a lil' smoky, cover it with the top half, wrap it in half a piece of bacon, stab it with a toothpick, and then repeat that a whole BUNCH of times... it just seems like a pain, and I don't do it often.  But I really love those things.  Gotta make them again.

Your variations on the theme all sound good!  I've only done the cream cheese and lil' smoky sausages, and they're so good I haven't messed with success.  But I gotta say, pimento cheese sounds a lot better to me than the cream cheese, and I'm gonna try that for sure.  I might try some of your other ideas, too.  Maybe next time I smoke a pork butt I'll try the pulled pork in them.

Thanks!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    RRP said:
    Between the Raging River rub and the apple chunks the bacon got a little darker than usual, but man-o-man are these tasty! 3 of them didn't even survive the trip in from the deck! =)

burn the roof of your mouth then, did ya?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Theophan - your process is much more complicated than mine.  I cut off the stem/part of the pepper (see below), split and then use a gloved hand and scrape out the seeds and veins.  Load with the blended filler, wrap with half a slice of bacon (no tooth-pick) and away we go.  BTW- I down-size the jala such that the half-strip of bacon does the coverage job.  
    I pre-cook any meat to be used such that I know all is good when the bacon is crisped up.  Indirect at around 350-375*F.  (Sometimes cook over a pan of mac & cheese).  FWIW-
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Those look great @RRP
    I do them with pimento cheese - ohhhhhh so good.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Theophan said:
    lousubcap said:
    ... This time of year I crank out around 40-50 per week (average) til the end of the football season.  
    Holy TOLEDO!!!  That's amazing!

I don't know why I find them kind of a pain.  I don't know that I spend a lot more time fiddling with them than most other cooks, but cutting in half and scraping out the jalapeños, putting in a dab of cheese, add a lil' smoky, cover it with the top half, wrap it in half a piece of bacon, stab it with a toothpick, and then repeat that a whole BUNCH of times... it just seems like a pain, and I don't do it often.  But I really love those things.  Gotta make them again.

Your variations on the theme all sound good!  I've only done the cream cheese and lil' smoky sausages, and they're so good I haven't messed with success.  But I gotta say, pimento cheese sounds a lot better to me than the cream cheese, and I'm gonna try that for sure.  I might try some of your other ideas, too.  Maybe next time I smoke a pork butt I'll try the pulled pork in them.

Thanks!
    wet gloved hands and spoon, nothing sticks and time improves drastically, i do most of the work at the sink with the water running. scrape fill, scrape fill. stretch the bacon out and wrap, works best if the bacons warm, no picks needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    Options
    PSA: First time I made them I wrapped the bacon too tight.  When is crisped it shrank and squeezed all/most of the cheese filling out.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited September 2017
    Options
    First place I ever had one (probably 6 or 7) was in the wine ghetto in Lompoc CA. Highly recommended for anyone doing the central coast. http://www.lompoctrail.com/index.php/info/maps/lompoc-wine-ghetto

They look awesome.
  • Theophan
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Theophan - your process is much more complicated than mine....
    wet gloved hands and spoon, nothing sticks and time improves drastically, ...
    Very interesting, thanks!  I may try some of your techniques.

I've never tried only using half a jalapeño, but I like the jalapeño, so I worry that if they had half as much jalapeño I might like them less.  Dunno, never tried it.  I always use both halves of the jalapeno.

Using a pre-made combo to just spoon in, instead of a cheese step plus a meat step sounds handy, but I like the little smoky sausages.  I don't know.  I may have to experiment, some.  There's little point in insisting on doing them "my" way if I hardly ever do them at all...  ;)

Thanks again!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nothing like sippin a cold one while waiting for 27 ABT's to cook. 

I can think of something like it Ron probably even better. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    ABT's may be my favorite thing off the egg, and yours look amazing!

Im sure there will be no survivors off that plate. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    RRP said:
    vb4677 said:
    Thanks - but all of these had just a half strip of raw bacon and when wrapped there was little flap to lap over so pinning was necessary due to typical shrinkage of raw bacon.
    Yeah - I use 1/2 slices as well, kinda the same way @lousubcap
     does.  Maybe I just tug on my meat harder than you do...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    RRP said:
    vb4677 said:
    I wouldn't bring up "shrinkage" as we approach Friday night. 
    New Albany, Ohio