Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt in Progress HELP NEEDED

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,
I am just a little over 12 hours into my first time cook of a Boston Butt. I used Brant's Boston Butt Recipe on the Big Green Egg Official recipe section.[p]Here is my Progress so Far.
Fri. 9-29-06
Time: Temp Boston Butt (F) Temp of Grill (F)
1830 START TIME 36 250
1930 56 250
2000 73 250
2020 95 250
2130 125 250
2235 136 260
2258 139 250
SAT
0200 131 100 (see note)
0550 182 280
0725 188 240
0815 186 220
0910 181 220
0940 179 200[p]note: At 0200 hours Sat morning I had to take Boston Butt out of grill wrap and foil. Take out plate setter and drip pan and restart fire. Then I put back plate setter drip pan etc. back into place.[p]Right now my grill vents are open at bottom and top and grill is at 200 degrees. My question is this ok or should I take Boston Butt off grill now and wrap in foil and putt into home oven or crock pot? Or should I take off grill and get fire going again On the Large egg. Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]I would wrap in foil and finish in the oven, then rest in a cooler for at least an hour or three.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]Wow, I see that you didn't get any sleep last evening![p]Your butt seems to be cooking fairly quickly, must be a little guy. I generally allow 16-18 hrs for the 6-7 pounders that I make upon occasion.[p]If you have a raised rack that fits into a baking pan, do yourself a favor and finish it in the oven, you are already beyond the point where it will pick up any more smoke flavor. No foil is needed. You should only need a few more hours to hit the 190-200 mark where the butt will start to collapse on itself. Then foil it and place in a dry cooler covered with towels until dinner time. It will stay hot for hours this way.[p]I'm surprised that you ran out of lump twice since the cook started. Don't be afraid to really load it up next time right up to the bottom of the firebox and you'll be good for 36+ hours on the Large Egg.[p]K~G
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thanks for the advice. Kenny I used Big Green Egg charcoal and I filled it almost level with the firebox BUT I did not want to get too close to the fire ring. The fire for some reason smothered out at 0200 hours and that is when I took out everything and re-started it... I guess I should have at that point added more lump. Anyway, this morning I posted the message here because I noticed the temperature of the dome dropping again. I took your advice and took the Butt inside and put it at the oven at 250 degrees. The Boston Butt taken off the egg looks beautiful it has a nice crust on the outside... almost fell apart while taking it off the grill. Anyway, I went back outside.. took the grill out and the plate setter and there was some unburnt lump left on the sides middle lump completely gone. Thanks for your advice again.

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the advice. I did wrap the Boston Butt in foil as you suggested and put it in the Oven. I appreciate your timely advice and that Of Kenny's. Hopefully I will have some great Barbecue tonight.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]Whoops, on the fillup, I meant to the top of the firering.[p]K~G

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]From your times I figured you had a 5 or 6 pound butt. Foiling is a good tool to preserve color of the bark and also prevent drying. Not to mention you can sop the pulled pork with the juices you save from the foil. I finish a lot of butts in foil.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Pharmeggist, You need a wiggle rod and the Long Ranger. Problem solved.