Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally nailed it ... smoked scotch eggs with runny yolks (with pics)

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,060
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
I've had scotch eggs down for some time, including adding Dizzy Pig rubs to match different sausage meats. However, adding smoke into the mix whilst retaining a runny yolk proved elusive. After several failed attempts I stood back and applied logic and rational reasoning to what I was doing (which surprised the heck out of SWMBO) and found the solution.

Full details are in the blog post below:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/09/08/smoked-scotch-eggs/

TL;DR - par boil the eggs for 3-4 mins only and then immerse them in very, very ice cold water for at least 30 mins. Then make the scotch egg and smoke for 50-55 mins at 275F.

Five scotch eggs smoking in a Minimax:

Testing with a thermapen ... this one needs a little longer:

Swiftly slicing in half:

A double yolker! But one of them fell out, knife action wasn't swift enough:

Thanks for looking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If you need more test data, I'm your guy. Awesome!!!!!
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Looks good!  This is interesting - I have heard the term Scotch eggs, but didn't know what they were.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Those are friggin awesome.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Decades ago, I used to make "Scotch meatloaves," which are what they sound like: meatloaf wrapped around hard-boiled eggs.  Sounds weird, but I used to love them!  Sometimes I think I used to have them with sort of a tomato sauce, don't recall whether I just added it at the end or cooked them with a bit of sauce, sort of like really big meatballs with an egg inside.

Anyway, I've never had Scotch Eggs with sausage around them, but they sound wonderful.  But because I was so used to hard-boiled eggs, I'm not sure whether the runny yolks appeal to me or not.  I'll have to try it one of these days.  Your pictures look yummy -- thanks for sharing!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    That looks fantastic. Great job!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Those look great!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • That looks delicious. Great job on those!
    Stillwater, MN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Bombdiggity!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I guess you can cook anything on an Egg.
  • I've had scotch eggs down for some time, including adding Dizzy Pig rubs to match different sausage meats. However, adding smoke into the mix whilst retaining a runny yolk proved elusive. After several failed attempts I stood back and applied logic and rational reasoning to what I was doing (which surprised the heck out of SWMBO) and found the solution.

Full details are in the blog post below:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/09/08/smoked-scotch-eggs/

TL;DR - par boil the eggs for 3-4 mins only and then immerse them in very, very ice cold water for at least 30 mins. Then make the scotch egg and smoke for 50-55 mins at 275F.

Five scotch eggs smoking in a Minimax:

Testing with a thermapen ... this one needs a little longer:

Swiftly slicing in half:

A double yolker! But one of them fell out, knife action wasn't swift enough:

Thanks for looking!

Looping in @DoubleEgger, whose name would imply a likely appreciation for the double yolker!!

Have never had a scotch egg and nor have I really had the desire to try one.... until your post. Looks great!
  • Man those look fantastic, nice job!
  • Thanks folks, it's been a fun journey getting runny yolks and fully smoked eggs. They really do taste as good as they look.

@pgprescott - in the highly unlikely event that you're in the neighbourhood, I'll cook some for you. :)

@Theophan - for me, the runny yolks make take them from very good to outstanding. The yolks are warm, and more like viscous oil than completely runny, so have texture. That was the aim of the exercise.

@GrateEggspectations - that hadn't occurred to me, good call on @DoubleEgger looping :D. And SWMBO was like you in that she really didn't like the scotch eggs she had tried. This all changed one fateful day a few years ago when we sampled the scotch eggs made by Gareth Webster, formerly one of Simon Rogan's chefs and now heading up his own operation in the Lake District. Gareth explained how he made them, I tweaked it a bit, added in the smoke element and voila!
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Those look awesome!!

I've only had them once before in a restaurant and really loved them.  Look forward to trying them some time.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Those look lovely @Stormbringer

I'm not keen on shop bought scotch eggs as the eggs are usually rock hard. Might try these without the fryer stage (don't own one).
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Made these yesterday.  Not runny, but will try again.  I think my Egg temp was too low and ended up cooking them too long...  Tasted great!  Warmed up left overs worked this morning as well.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Love scotch eggs and the runny yolk would definitely kick it up a notch for me. They look awesome.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    edited September 2017
    I usually cook the eggs the day before and let them cool down in the fridge.  The next day when I cook the scotch eggs, I usually cook at a higher temperature (375F) just to cook the sausage and it is typically not very long (about 10 minutes).  The higher temp also helps with the crispy exterior.  That being said, I feel like the deep fryer methods gives better results.

Your eggs look great!

paqman said:
    I usually cook the eggs the day before and let them cool down in the fridge.  The next day when I cook the scotch eggs, I usually cook at a higher temperature (375F) just to cook the sausage and it is typically not very long (about 10 minutes).  The higher temp also helps with the crispy exterior.  That being said, I feel like the deep fryer methods gives better results.

Your eggs look great!

Great advice, thanks!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Never heard of em, but looks like good results!!!  I'm not a big boiled egg fan but I'd try em just to see how it goes!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    @smbishop nice looking eggs! The runny yolk comes with practise, it took me several attempts to get it right. Not that SWMBO was complaining about the experiments. I guess the Ghost gave it a kick, which sausage meat did you use?

@paqman thanks! I cooked at the temps you did, but it wasn't that much different to the result from a fryer, and I really wanted to get smokey flavours into the Egg. I tried at higher temps but found that lower temps gave me the flavours I was looking for. By combining the fryer and smoking techniques, I found a good balance between crispy, crunchy coating, smoke flavours and most importantly a runny yolk.

@Eoin I know what you mean, the pre-made scotch eggs here are mostly dire. The best ones I've had are from the Baker Brothers shop in Chipping Norton, but even so it's not great. Homemade and fresh is the way to go. :)

@Jai-Bo hope it works for you, feel free to ask me any questions.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    @smbishop nice looking eggs! The runny yolk comes with practise, it took me several attempts to get it right. Not that SWMBO was complaining about the experiments. I guess the Ghost gave it a kick, which sausage meat did you use?

@paqman thanks! I cooked at the temps you did, but it wasn't that much different to the result from a fryer, and I really wanted to get smokey flavours into the Egg. I tried at higher temps but found that lower temps gave me the flavours I was looking for. By combining the fryer and smoking techniques, I found a good balance between crispy, crunchy coating, smoke flavours and most importantly a runny yolk.

@Eoin I know what you mean, the pre-made scotch eggs here are mostly dire. The best ones I've had are from the Baker Brothers shop in Chipping Norton, but even so it's not great. Homemade and fresh is the way to go. :)

@Jai-Bo hope it works for you, feel free to ask me any questions.
    I used a mild sausage with not much flavor.  I added a bit too much of the Ghost, but they were amazing.  Will experiment with different rubs, different quantities, and a higher temp next time...
  • Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    @caliking the runny yolk was key for me as well, as was the smoke flavour. The clincher was immersing in very, very cold water for a long time. Other than that, it's tweaking time and temp to work for you.

• I'd say you brought the storm with those. Perfection.  
    Snellville, GA

• Nailed it.  We love Scotch Eggs and yours look great!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx