Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener (Ken Onion Edition) on sale for $39.95. Free ship.

Options

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I wasn't quite as cordial as some of you might have been. I said the they offered an item at a price and I agreed to purchase at that price. That is a contract that has been broken. What if they sold me something at $40, ship it to me, and I suddenly send them a message saying that I will only be paying $10 for the item due to an "error" on my part and $10 was all I was willing to spend on the item so that is all they get. They would not go for that so why are they doing that to me?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I feel they should have fixed the price error, but still honored the sales that were made.  Obviously i have no idea how much of a hit they would have taken.  If you have an amazon store yourself, you could buy 250 of them and resell them for double that in your own amazon store.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Toxarch just got off the phone with their customer service. 

Girl sounded like a scared little bunny. I made her hand the phone to the supervisor who was clearly putting out fires left and right. 

She said "Sir I have the email right here in front of me. Our marketing department made an error. I can offer it to you for $139"

$hit that's more than on Amazon right now!!!

I explained that that's not my fault and I wanted a discount. She said it wasn't her fault either and wasn't authorized to offer one. 

Then I told her that decision just cost them a customer for life. *explicative phrase*  I hope you have a great weekend!

A company that big won't care but I hope they eat $hit on the bad press over this. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I get that some folks may be upset but the law allows for these sort of mistakes and if you read the fine print in Amazon's terms of service it is all spelled out.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'll never shop NT again 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yeah, you guys are gonna probably cause Northern Tool and Amazon an incredible amount of PR damage.  They will probably just send you a free ones to get back into your good graces.

It's not like you were buying a trash pump to get the fecal coliform contaminated water out of your hurricane flooded homes or a generator to keep pee-paw's oxygen system running when the power goes out.  

Try a little perspective with your cocktail tonite.

Peace, love, and ooooommmmmmmm.

Also - Namaste, y'all. =)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It's a missed opportunity for them not a legal issue (looking at you HeavyG esq).  They could've owned it and offered 50% off normal price and it would've landed differently and they would've still sold a bunch.  Customer service is a choice.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Got me too. Damnit. Now I reeeeally want it lol. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The freaking belts cost more than that. That is a steal. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Bastids- wasn't really in the market but now I'm pissed I won't have one. Not even a very apologetic email- basically stuff it. Oh well-
    Greensboro, NC
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    It's a missed opportunity for them not a legal issue (looking at you HeavyG esq).  They could've owned it and offered 50% off normal price and it would've landed differently and they would've still sold a bunch.  Customer service is a choice.
    This sort of thing happens all the time in retail. Laws have been in place for decades to address this. It's one thing to hold retailers accountable for obvious/intentional "bait and switch" efforts it's something else to expect that everyone is perfect and never makes mistakes.

Decades ago, I worked in retail for a year or so when I was in high school. Our favorite days were those when a pricing mistake was made in an ad in the newspaper. You really learn a lot about different types of people in these incidents.

Northern could have done as you asked. Perhaps tho they received a thousand orders for those things and really couldn't afford hand out 50% off deals. I suspect some folks would still be pissed if they did even offer to sell them for half their normal price. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I were NT I would make it up by offering it for cost and a huge, heart felt apology.  

Anyway, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Options
    I believe Canada has a law that favors the customer in situations like this. Can any of our Canuck eggheads elaborate? @Canugghead?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Not that it will alleviate the butt hurt for some but here is the pertinent part of the Amazon ToS regarding pricing:

PRICING

"List Price" means the suggested retail price of a product as provided by a manufacturer, supplier, or seller. We regularly check List Prices against prices recently found on Amazon and other retailers. Certain products may have a "Was Price" displayed, which is determined using recent price history of the product on Amazon.

With respect to items sold by Amazon, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order. Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If the correct price of an item sold by Amazon is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation. Other merchants may follow different policies in the event of a mispriced item.

We generally do not charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping process or, for digital products, until we make the digital product available to you.

• HeavyG
    Options
    caliking said:
    I believe Canada has a law that favors the customer in situations like this. Can any of our Canuck eggheads elaborate? @Canugghead?
    Amazon Canada has the same policy as Amazon USA:

Pricing

"List Price" means the suggested retail price of a product as provided by a manufacturer, supplier, or seller. We regularly check List Prices against prices recently found on the Amazon.ca site and other retailers. Certain products may have a "Was Price" displayed, which is determined using recent price history of the product on the Amazon.ca site.

With respect to items sold by Amazon.ca, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order. Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation. Other merchants may follow different policies in the event of a mispriced item.

We generally do not charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping process or, for digital products, until we make the digital product available to you.

I have no idea if Canadian law has different conditions/restrictions for vendors that offer items for sale via Amazon.ca separately from the terms shown above.

• ScarletFire
    Options
    I'm really just p*ssed they will not let me cancel the 2 extra boxes of belts I ordered to go with the sharpener. I have to receive them and send them back, is what they told me. Wanna be mad, but we just get so much stuff from them each month!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I'm really just p*ssed they will not let me cancel the 2 extra boxes of belts I ordered to go with the sharpener. I have to receive them and send them back, is what they told me. Wanna be mad, but we just get so much stuff from them each month!
    Yeah it's BS I cancelled the order like 6 hours before I got the shipping confirmation and never got any response to my cancellation request. Pretty pissed.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @HeavyG.... Quit being rational and get on the screw them bandwagon 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have been giving them 1 star reviews on all their products on Amazon. Starting to feel better.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Got my cancellation.....  They miss priced and will not ship!  Knew it was too good to be true!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I bought expecting a cancellation. It was obviously an error. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Had something similar happen with a $91 35qt Pelican.

Called and talked to an amazon CS supervisor about a third party fock up, and they(amazon) honored it.

You guys aren't doin' it right.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Is it worth buying at regular price? 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    DMW said:
    Yes.
    That's what I was thinking. Ordered it anyways. Oh well. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hell no.  At that price, you're not far from an Edge Pro Apex.  A much better system IMO.  

I didnt think it was worth $40.  A concave edge with a flexing belt system, makes zero sense to me.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I called Northern tool and they said they had the wrong price and that was just too bad go buy the one for $139.99. They were not even very nice about it.

I just asked for a discount on one and they said no discount paying full price was my only option.

I gave them a bad review and sent an email. 
    Oooohhh a bad review AND an email - is that like going right for the triple dog dare?
    A slight breach of etiquette..
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    edited September 2017
    Options
    caliking said:
    No such luck!  On the contrary my general impression (could be wrong) is you folks have better consumer protection than in the GWN.

Most retailers got themselves covered, for example homedepot.ca has this:

Product Orders

While we use our best efforts to fulfill all orders, Home Depot cannot guarantee the availability of any particular product displayed on this Site.  Home Depot reserves the right to discontinue the sale of any product listed on this Site at any time without notice.

Product prices offered on this Site may vary from other advertised prices due to varying conditions in different geographic markets.

The prices displayed on this Site are quoted in CDN dollars and are valid and effective only within Canada, and such prices do not include shipping and handling (unless otherwise indicated) or sales taxes, if applicable, which will be added to your total invoice price. You are responsible for the payment of any shipping and handling charges and taxes that may apply to your order.

While our goal is an error-free site, we do not guarantee that any content is 100% accurate or complete, including price information and product specifications.  If we discover price errors, they will be corrected on our systems, and the corrected price will apply to your order.  Home Depot reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions (including after an order has been submitted and accepted).

For further information about purchasing products from Home Depot, please read our Shipping FAQReturn Policy, and Products FAQ carefully.

canuckland
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ^That's almost identical to what NT said to me. I asked where that disclaimer is on the ad, because it's not there. They are privately owned so **** ups like this and bad mouthing them won't mess with a stock price. I always like to tag stock tickers on Twitter when I bad mouth a company's CS. Sometimes it's stocks I own.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Canugghead - my bad. I was thinking of the Scanner Price Accuracy Code, which probably doesn't apply to online sales.

https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.