Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Collard Greens - What do I do with the Ham Hock?

Topo GigioTopo Gigio Posts: 98
edited 4:35AM in EggHead Forum
As a side to my BBQ ribs, I'm cooking up some collard greens for the 1st time. I have no idea what they taste like. Going to be simmering them with a ham hock. Can anyone tell me what I do with the ham hock after cooking? Is it good to eat?[p]Thanks in advance.

• Topo Gigio, by the time they are done cooking, the meat will fall off the hocks and YES, nice eating :)

• Topo Gigio,[p] They have an earthy taste like Spinach and Turnip Greens. In the South they never cook them without some form of pork in the water with them. GOOD EATS!!
  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Topo Gigio,
    Don't know where you got your recipe, but in this kitchen you'd want to add chopped onion and a sprinkling of crushed red chile.[p]Dang - now I'm hungry for collards.[p]Ken

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    <p />Topo Gigio,[p]A smoked jowl will give them more flavor, but smoked hocks or neck bones are necessary for some meat. Collards are more fussy when it comes to cleaning than when cooking. The link below is a good general collard recipe.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Topo Gigio,
    Add a can of rotel

• BYCBYC Posts: 358
    Topo Gigio,[p]Being from SC I grew up on collards and associated and complimentary soul foods. Forget the ham hocks and used smoked turkey parts. Much better flavor.[p]Just my .05