Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Owners Heads Up

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just returned from Home Depot with a Hayes (brand) Kingston (model) 20-inch plant stand. It cost about $22, in the garden dept. It is just right for the mini Egg: looks and fits like it was designed especially for it.[p]Eggbert, our mini, was getting routine use before: he's in for a real workout now that the users don't have to bend over to use the grill, or regulate the damper.[p]Ken

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    IMG_0701.jpg
    <p />Ken,
    Does it look like this or is it more secure? I only paid about $7 at the end of the season for this one from Wally World. While it serves the purpose I wish it was more sturdy - and here I go again equating your $22 to my $7 and assuming yours is better!!! I may have to go look!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    RRP,[p] Well you could get a 2'x2' square piece of 3/4 plywood. Use 4 U-Bolts to attach your stand to the plywood. I am sure I don't need to remind you to countersink, make sure the U-Bolts don't extend past the plywood and all dat!![p] Viola' Stable Mable..
  • RRP
    Options
    I thought of that, Pete, but actually that would only make it even more top heavy. My concern is the legs tend to splay out and wobble when sitting on the deck. This shot was made on the screened porch where "Baby" resides when not being used.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    I'm "photo posting challenged"... but we'll have a picture up later today or tomorrow.[p]In the meantime, my stand is heavier metal: I'm guessing the legs at quarter to 3/8 inch diameter rod. I could have gotten a lighter weight stand for only about $12, but am delighted with my purchase.[p]Ken

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    RRP,[p] OK but wouldn't that using u-bolts on the bottom of the legs into a piece of wood on the bottom stablize the legs. [p] I don't see how that would make the stand top heavy..[p] But hey I am a Network Engineer not a carpenter :)
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I know every one doesn't have the room for this, but I made a little stand out of a piece of tile, plywood, molding and some wheels. It's waist high and she rolls out of the way when I don't use her :)[p]915minichops.jpg[p]Oh, here she is with some of Chef Wil's G'Rilla Shaker'd chixie breasticles last night[p]minibreasticles.jpg

• RRP
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    excuse me! I was thinking that you meant on top instead of the bottom! Sure your idea would work, except that when I transport Baby I turn the stand upside down and the egg slips right into it thus saving space.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    RRP,[p] Geesh do I need to think of everything!! :)[p] Cut a circle in the center of the plywood platform. Problem solved
  • Grillicious
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I've been wanting a simple solution for this. Looks like you've found it. Is the stand painted? My only worry would be if the heat would melt the paint. But I could use the feet that came with my large to raise it up a little. Now if someone could find a cover for the mini! The list one on the BGE eggcessories page, but I called and they don't actually carry it.

• Rumrunner
    Options
    Grillicious, Mel (follow link) made a cover for my Mini[p]minihat2.jpg[p]Probably not listed, but call or email her for a quote.[p]

[ul][li]Mel's BBQ Covers[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Looking forward to that picture. A mini would be a good stocking stuffer this year. Still have to drive to Ft. Fun to pick one up but we'll pass by on the way to Denver anyway for X-mas shopping.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery