Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hurricane Irma? OT

Options

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I have a teammate from my college football days is one of the crazy SOB's that fly perfectly good military scientific aircraft in an out of hurricanes.  Tuesday 9-6 at 2pm flight, sustained winds at 185 and occasional to 215 near eye wall.  He is scheduled to go back in today.....  He is NUTS!!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I thought homeowners insurance paid a straight percentage of the house's value for personal possessions/contents. The amount is listed on the policy statement. I don't think there's a need to document items at this point. Just gather your priceless items and get the hell out of Dodge. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I thought homeowners insurance paid a straight percentage of the house's value for personal possessions/contents. The amount is listed on the policy statement. I don't think there's a need to document items at this point. Just gather your priceless items and get the hell out of Dodge. 
    i think most flood insurance caps off the house value at around 250k which isnt much if you are rebuilding to hurricane codes. anything you get for lost possessions is going to go towards rebuilding. then theres the payout date, around here its a 2 year wait til an insurance company HAS to pay. could all be different in florida.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Which model was the most accurate for Harvey?
    You can Google this.  It's the European model.   
    @nolaegghead Correct!!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-irma/predicting-irma-s-path-giving-supercomputers-challenge-n798961

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    PSA - this storm is coming for me and many others. Can we please keep the politics out so the thread doesn't get buffaloed? Thanks. 
    Agreed. I know when a killer storm is about to slap me around my top priority is to read what's being said in a cooking forum!

Be safe!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Screw all the models. You know it's about to get real when Disney World is gonna shut down! If even for just one day. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Screw all the models. You know it's about to get real when Disney World is gonna shut down! If even for just one day. 
    The Rat is fleeing Orlando? Yep that's serious.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - Thanks for your suggestions. I took pictures of everything last night, even the contents of closets and kitchen cabinets. I have family pics and diplomas and homeowners, flood and boat insurance policies ready to leave with me (plus the contents of my wine fridge!).  No pets to worry about, thankfully.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Florida Grillin Girl I'm taking photos and video today myself. We try to do this once a year regardless but, it's especially wise before a known threat. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Apparently the Mayor of Miami Dade has NOT committed to an all out evacuation as of yet. My gut thinks he is trying to make sure it is 100% necessary before creating pandemonium amongst this large of a populous. It would be my guess that Miami will get the evacuation order sooner or later and when it does happen 95 North bound is going to be stupid crazy...even more than it already is. 
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171514717.html
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2017
    Options
    For everyone pushing people to evacuate out of South Florida. At this point there is no Evacuation. Gas is out across florida and there are basically only 2 ways out of Miami. The turpike or I95. And both are clogged. If a person were to leave Miami now, the wouldn't make it to Orlando before running out of gas with no where to fill. They are stuck unless they can carry their own gas and already have said gas.

I wonder how much more difficult it will be to raise money and support for Irma after Harvey. A lot of people just dumped there extra money and items to support Houston. It's probably going to be more difficult to raise support for another hurricane so quickly. Its not going to be the "fad" thing to do.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    ...It would be my guess that Miami will get the evacuation order sooner or later and when it does happen 95 North bound is going to be stupid crazy...even more than it already is. 
    If they do a SFL evac order, I expect that they will turn around the SB lanes as well.  If I was down there, I would GTFO, post haste.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    For everyone pushing people to evacuate out of South Florida. At this point there is no Evacuation. Gas is out across florida and there are basically only 2 ways out of Miami. The turpike or I95. And both are clogged. If a person were to leave Miami now, the wouldn't make it to Orlando before running out of gas with no where to fill. They are stuck unless they can carry their own gas and already have said gas.
    That is bad news for those that are stuck.  Hunker down hard, ya'll.

I wonder how much more difficult it will be to raise money and support for Irma after Harvey. A lot of people just dumped there extra money and items to support Houston. It's probably going to be more difficult to raise support for another hurricane so quickly. Its not going to be the "fad" thing to do.
    I'll bet they do great.  Houston has seen the destruction and felt the help from around the country, and I expect folks will dig in again for the SE.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I think there are a lot out there that'll still be willing to help at all cost.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 20stone
    Options
    I think there are a lot out there that'll still be willing to help at all cost.
    I am pretty sure that Operation BBQ Relief is packing up in Houston this weekend and heading that way. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just closed the schools here tomorrow and a Friday.  That means not much is coming here. Godsoeed my East Coaster Homies!  Stay safe. We're praying for everyone is our Beautiful State and for all the folks in the Carolinas which look like Irma's headed there next. I'm 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Apparently the Mayor of Miami Dade has NOT committed to an all out evacuation as of yet. My gut thinks he is trying to make sure it is 100% necessary before creating pandemonium amongst this large of a populous. 
    It's a decision I'm glad I don't have to make.  I understand Houston's mayor not calling one immediately, after a debacle years earlier where (iirc) 70 people died on the highways!  (that hurricane wasn't as bad)  Yet, you see all these heroes rescuing people with small boats, you'd wonder how many more they could've gotten out using the roads.  But we've never seen 40+" of rainfall in one storm, ever.
    It's a decision I'm glad I don't have to make.   :|

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    South FL is sooo isolated if all of FL gets hit, not many ways to get out or get aid in.  Not the same as Houston.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Legume said:
    South FL is sooo isolated if all of FL gets hit, not many ways to get out or get aid in.  Not the same as Houston.
    This is my fear.  I am gathering supplies to head down after the storm is done but I'm not sure I can even get to South Florida after this storm hits. I lived in West Palm for 3 years and gas gets sucked up quick down there.

It's going to be bad. Worse than Harvey in terms of death, injury, and displacement. Harder to get supplies there as well.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy is spot on - getting recovery down there is going to be the hard part.  Like its been said, its either the turnpike to I-95 to get in or out....  Only other option would be a water-borne insertion IF there are facilities open that can handle it!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GATraveller
    Options
    I'd think you'd do better transporting supplies by boat.  After the storm of course.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    Options

I'm really hoping that Irma bounces more off the Carolina's so she mostly misses Virginia a week from now.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy is spot on - getting recovery down there is going to be the hard part.  Like its been said, its either the turnpike to I-95 to get in or out....  Only other option would be a water-borne insertion IF there are facilities open that can handle it!!!!
    There are three ports that handle ocean going ships.  There are rail lines serving the area.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    There are three ports that handle ocean going ships.  There are rail lines serving the area.
    It will be weeks before a ship will be able to dock at any of the major ports in South Florida after the storm. It took nearly 2 months here in Gulfport, MS after Katrina before we could recieve a ship. 

The rails will probably be the best bet.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Naahhh, who needs ports? The Navy will just send some of their LCAC units down from Virginia so trucks can be delivered right onto the beach. :)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Real life, 2017

The day after tomorrow, 2004

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @20stone @Thatgrimguy @Botch what makes hurricane Irma unique is the direction it has taken. If it goes straight up the throat of Florida that means the entire state has to take either 95 or 75. Even if they open up both directions to go northbound you're screwed. Sure it may keep you from only being able to go at 5 or 10 miles an hour but not much more considering you're talking over 3/4 of the state wanting to get the hell out. Even if it hits South Florida and kicks over to the east a little bit and stays in the Atlantic it's going to have an effect the entire State one way or another. Lots of power outages to be expected. And considering a lot of efforts have been brought to Texas (understandably so) power restoration and clean up may be delayed. People need to take a step back, get a grip, hopefully be or already prepared, make sure their family is safe, and either make a decision to leave or hunker down. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd rather hunker down than ride it out in a gasless car.