Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felt line

Options
Just a quick question...  when doing chicken legs and thighs direct raised to felt line or above felt line?  350-400? On a large egg.  Thanks!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    Just a quick question...  when doing chicken legs and thighs direct raised to felt line or above felt line?  350-400? On a large egg.  Thanks!
    I use the "raiser" and cook at felt line. I'm a convert from indirect chicken. 
  • Grader07
    Options
    Thank you.... !!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep. Felt, direct, 400°. Some swear by indirect, but I was far from pleased the couple of times I tried it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grader07
    Options
    Thank you!!!  
  • Grader07
    Options
    Egg is at 400 now just making sure its stable and the smoke smells good.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Why so hot? I would approach at a lower temp....(350-375) lest you are in a hurry.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fairchase
    Options
    I like the results from raised direct . 
    However if I'm doing a egg full I still go indirect with a drip pan just to handle all the grease.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    Yep. Felt, direct, 400°. Some swear by indirect, but I was far from pleased the couple of times I tried it.
    Would you do a spatchcock this way or just for quarters?
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    CanDid said:
    Would you do a spatchcock this way or just for quarters?
    All of it. Ballpark temp. 350 is okay too, but i'm usually closer to 400.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just did chicken tonight too - raised direct at 350 degrees dome temp.  My DIY raised grid is a bit above the felt line.  Chicken pieces typically take 30 minutes.  I flip them every 10 minutes and pull them off the Egg at 165 IT.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Raised direct above felt about 3 3/4", 400-425° Flip once to help crisp the skin.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Grader07
    Options
    They turned out perfect.  Ended up about 400-425 temps about 40 mins.  Got to 170-185 IT.  Thanks for the help!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Why so hot? I would approach at a lower temp....(350-375) lest you are in a hurry.
    This^^^^^^^^^
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky