Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg transport after Eggtoberfest

uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To anyone who has transported a (warm) egg after Eggtoberfest. I have a medium-sized SUV, and am planning to pick up a large egg. Will I need to bring tools to take off the top, or will I be able to secure it in the back of the car? If the top does have to come off, should I bring something to lock the springs closed? Should I bring rope, garbage bags, etc.? I'll be driving about 2 1/2 hours home after the event. Any suggestions or shared experience will be appreciated.

Comments

• uncbbq,[p] I brought my XL home from Eggs By the Bay in my Grand Cherokee. I know the Large has a higher profile, but I had plenty of head room. The only thing I needed to take off was the nest. I had it tied to the roof rack :)[p]
  • uncbbq
    Celtic Wolf,
    How did you keep it from tipping over in the back?
    Thanks

• uncbbq,[p] It was surrounded by Lump, and my cooking stuff I brought to the eggfest. The Jeep has tie downs in the back, but I didn't need to use them.
  • uncbbq
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks a million. I'll just plan to wedge it in with something. If the lump is cheap, that will probably be the ticket. Now to find someone to help me get it out without dropping it.

• uncbbq,[p] I am sure that part will be taken care of for you. The distrubutor who help Smitty put on the Fest in San Jose loaded it for me. I am sure the fine folk in Atlanta will do the same.[p] Now getting Humpty out of Jeep was the issue, but the promise of come good Q took care of that.
  • Big%20Green%20Egg,%20little%20green%20Honda.JPG
    <p />uncbbq,
    Rope would be good..evrything else will be OK..[p]Wess

• uncbbq,What Celtic Wolf says is correct. Last year I picked one up for a friend, road it around for a week, then carried it tp Lynchburg for delivery. Bring an old quilt or blanket to wrap it in and strap or tie it to the seat back. The nest can be loosened, folded, and want take much room. You can stack stuff against it to help support it.[p]They cool quick once they take the coals out. So that is no problem. Let the Egg folks retrieve your Egg and load it. The sound they make when they drop is not good. Once home two adults can handle it. I have move one by myself by taking the insides out. Main thing is take your time and have a clear path.[p]Welcome to the EGG,
    Poppasam

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Celtic Wolf,
    There was a crew of young guys there to help last year.

• uncbbq
    Poppasam,
    Thanks for the info. I am stepping up from a medium to a large this year, so I'll have a medium for sale soon--unless I can't part with it.

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    uncbbq,
    Keeping the medium will add a lot of veristility if you cook for more than a couple of people. I find a second egg useful for cooking several items that you want to be done at the same time or for doing ABT's while cooking a lo and slo for dinner. I really want to try the smoked cheese as was shown here a few days ago and you need two eggs for that.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Buzzy,
    you could do it with a cardboard box at the far end of the hose.... it's cold-smoking, and there's no danger of fire at that temp.[p]check alton's set up for smoked salmon. wire rack resting on some sticks poked thru the box. feed the dryer vent into the box from below, and load your meat from the lid above. shut the box and you are good to go. second egg is handy, but not required.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • uncbbq,[p]I picked up a Large last year and hauled it 700 miles to Northern Indiana in a Honda CRV. I took a small crescent wrench to partailly disassemble the nest.[p]I also had heavy-duty bungee cords and a 50 foot hunk of rope cut to two 25 foot lengths -- and some towels (Sams club, 8 large bath towels, about $12).[p]I stuffed the fully assembled egg in the back, wedged up against the seat-back, ran rope through the tie points on the floor up through the spring hinge and back down trough the handle. I used the bungies to secure the top to the head-restraint on the seat, and then wedged some towels in to tighten everything down.[p]Made the trip with nary a problem.[p]Tom
  • uncbbq
    QriousTom,
    Great ideas. I think I am ready now. I have all the stuff you mentioned, and I found some hidden tie-down points in my SUV, so all should be great. Thanks.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    uncbbq,
    Now all you need are Quickie Tie-Downs!
    Julie

[ul][li]Quickie Tie-Downs[/ul]