Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg table question

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m really jumping the gun on this one, as I don`t even have the egg yet, will pick it up at Eggfest.....I am going to build a table for my egg using the plans by Wise one...can anyone tell me what size stone block I can get away with underneath the egg? Home depot sells them in 12x12 or 18x18, I would prefer to use the 12x12 as it would be less obvious, but I don`t know if it is big enough for the egg to sit on properly. Gonna be a lot of newbie questions coming from me in the near future but I feel I already have a good start on things as I have been reading this forum for some time now, and am very much looking forward to meeting and eating at Eggfest..
Thanks in advance..
Wess
my user profile hasn`t been added yet but it has been filled out

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    WessB, Thats a good question to pose, and I am gonna elaborate a bit on this one. IMO (in my opinion) its better to have a airgap of sorts under the base of the BGE hence the ceramic feet supplied by BGE with the units. These do tend to be a bit wobbly at times. So 3 or 4 bricks around the bottom would suffice.
    Here is a warning to those that use wooden bench's. Make sure that the lip of the BGE (between dome and bottom) is raised to at least a inch higher than the adjoining circle cut out. How come....????[p]I went out after a high temp 400 F cook for "broiled" chicken 2 nights ago, to check and see if I had closed the lower vent. I had, and I noticed a red glow. My bench was on fire. My wood was glowing red coals from ignition from a gap in my dome seal. A quick cup of water extinquished it, but I was lucky. My BGE sits under a wood overhead 2nd story deck and had we closed the drapes, I think I would have had a hot night. [p]Cheers..C~W

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Char-Woody,wow, that sure could have turned out catastrophic......I`m glad it didn`t, just imagine if you had gone to bed for an all night cook like I`m doing tonight.....[p]I haven`t made my bench yet, I`m gonna wait for the nice weather I think...[p]Mop!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WessB,
    All I use is the little feet that come with Eggie and I've never had a problem. why spend any more money on unnecessary things than you need to?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    WessB, here has been my experience. I started with a 16" round exposed aggregate cement stone for my large and didn't use the feet. That was a bad idea. Within a couple months the stone had broken in half probably from moisture collected from the rain/air and then without circulation. I replaced that with two 15x7.5 red smooth cement patio bricks from Lowes plus the three green feet. There actually is a space between the stones because that 15x15 pattern isn't quite large enough, but I see no problem as it permits even more air. At that point I had alterd my table to accept a small egg as well and another 2 red stones worked perfectly under it...again with the feet. My approach was more from appearances as I wanted the same size stones under each and I was particularly after the red color as I had used the "brown" treated wood vs the "green" treated wood. If you want more particulars on this subject email me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    WessB,
    Under my medium egg on top of the shelf I have a fireproof flexible concrete mat made by Diverstiech and the 3 feet from BGE. I purchased the mat at Lowes the stock number is 117446. I agree with Char-Woody with the air space between the egg and the shelf things should be ok, but the matt is a saftey precaution.
    Fireball

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Sundown,
    WessB - If you use only the little green feet, be sure to move your bottom shelf up to compensate for the difference. I made the measurements assuming both a stone AND the little green feet (which is what I use).

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks to all for the great responses...
    I think I will get 3 extra firebricks and use them under the feet to provide a good air gap.[p]Wise One...are your plans laid out for the height of the lower shelf to only accomodate the egg and no stone???? In other words would I lower the bottom shelf from your 17 1/2" the thickness of my stone say approx 19" ????[p]If I had the egg here to measure I wouldn`t be asking these stupid questions so please bear with me.[p]Thanks again..
    Wess

• Char-Woody
    Options
    WessB, I think the measurements are available..I will do some digging and if you need em, e.mail me at
    bbq-dude@home.com
    I will file and forward em to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Wise One
    Options
    WessB, No my measurements were for a medium egg with stone and little green feet. Adjust accordingly.

• WessB
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the mail..however all the numbers came out as one long string of numbers for each size. I couldn`t tell what the individual measurements were. I think what would be the most important measurement for me would be the base to the top of the opened grill so I can determine how high the shelf would need to be to insure that the gap where the lid closes is above the top of my table...hope I didn`t confuse things even worse....I know I can get the diameter from the website but I have never seen the dimensions for just the bottom section of the egg as if the top were open....
    If I made the lower shelf the exact measurement as the lower half of the egg it would work perfectly by adding a 1" or 1 1/2" block under the egg itself..[p]Sorry..and Thanks
    Wess

• Wise One
    Options
    WessB, you're right on. That's pretty much the way I measured it and it cam out right. Any lower and I wouldn't be able to open my dome all the way (at least with the autolock).

• Char-Woody
    Options
    WessB, I see what you mean..scrambled egg all over the place..funny!! Check my post up above for the info..
    Chow..
    C~W[p]