Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New big green egg owner as of last nigh!-Beef Ribs today-help?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just became the proud owner of a xl big green egg!
I want to impress my wife and justify the money I spent last night, she is still not talking to me..:)
I plan on doing some beef ribs today and want see if that does the trick, any help to get the best and most tender ones?
I did some steaks last night but they came out too well done for her taste even though they did taste really good, but she was not impressed.
Thanks!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    likefre, I'd shoot towards a chicken or pork ribs before beef ribs.
    The best beef ribs need to have a good amount of meat on them and not the trimed versions you see alot of. Good meating ribs that I do take about 5-6 hours indirect at 250 dome.[p]

• Thanks for the tip tach!
    I would but my wife has already asked me for beef ribs and even seasoned them already...she wants to see if there's a difference in taste.
    Any more details on recipe?
    Thanks for the help!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    likefre,[p]My experience with beef ribs is that they are considerabley harder than pork ribs. I usually marinade them first. I like soaking them in lime juice for a few hours before putting on the rub. Usually I use a bit of fruit wood for smoke. Otherwise, I use the 3-1-1 method, which is mentioned frequently on this forum. The ribs are cooked at a low dome temperature, about 250, with at least a drip pan between the meat and the coals. Then, the ribs are placed meat side down in a sweet fluid, such as apple juice in a foil packet for an hour. Then, the ribs are taken out of the foil, and grilled with mopping and a final finish sauce for another hour. The times may vary depending on exact temperature and size of the ribs.[p]While I've had good luck with pork ribs when not using foil, just frequent mopping after the first few hours, I've not tried beef ribs.[p]I'm not sure, being a pretty new egger, but I've noticed that keeping the fire temperature steady seems to yield more tender meat. If I can sneek up on a 250 dome, let it stay there long enough that putting the cold meat on doesn't drop it back down to far, most of the meat I've done seems to cook somewhat faster, and is very tender.[p]Best luck. Getting used to how the Egg works usually takes a little time. I had to forget many of the methods/habits I'd used with other kinds of grills and smokers.[p]About 80 per cent of my results have been good enough that my wife hasn't objected a bit to the various accessories I picked up for my Egg, and when I can find a good place for it, she has no objection to getting a second.[p]gdenby

• Ditto. I find my best beef ribs are done indirect at about 250F, for about 6 hours. They need to be very meaty, which are hard to find for me.
  • likefre,[p]I prefer beef short ribs, where the ribs are between 4-6 inches long and 1-2 inches thick. I cut mine between the bones into individual ribs, you don't have to though. Prep and cook them like pork ribs. Trim off any huge chucks of fat if you can. I cooked about 10 lbs. a few weeks ago and they took about 7 hours, indirect.
  • Thanks for the tip...
    I am doing about 3 pounds, not very meaty though.
    Indirect?
    meaning with the plate setter or whatever is called, rack and pan?

• likefre,
    I don't have any cooking help for you- just manly comisseration. [p]I got my egg in early August and am thoroughly enjoying it- but my wife has yet to agree that it was worth "all that money". [p]It has turned my two girls from picky eaters into serious carnivores, but my wife remains unconvinced. As she says she likes food "plain"- no smoke, no spices, well done (not rare at all) but not burnt, and moist.[p]I am planning a long campaign that, in the end, will win her over. I do not think she will ever admit that the cost was worth it as she has categorized the Egg as "another dumb guy thing".[p]So my advice to you is to embrace The Way of the Egg. As you become enlightened in The Way, she will come around. She is not be able to help herself, it's just the way it is.

• Thanks flash!
    What I did is that I told my wife I paid half of what i really did..:)
    This is why I have to convince her that it was worth the money before the credict card bill arrives!

• scole,
    Thanks for the tip...
    Indirect?
    meaning with the plate setter or whatever is called, rack and pan?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Flashback Bob,
    "well done (not rare at all) but not burnt, and moist". i guess thats why im single, i would never be able to understand that, that must be what they call "mixed signals". what does that mean

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    likefre,
    your wife cannot logically blame the BGE for overcooking the steak! ...but it probably is better to have her blaming it than blaming you.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Likefre,[p]Yes, platesetter with a drip pan on it, cooking grid resting on the legs of the platesetter.
  • 08-22.jpg
    <p />Likefre,
    Yes.
    Indirect can be achieved with a plate setter or if you don't have one, you can make a raised grill to set on your regular grill and put a pan with liquid on the lower rack while your meat cooks indirectly on the upper rack[p]The grid in the picture is an 18" webber replacement grill on (3) 4.1/2" carriage bolts (with nuts and washers).

• Correct!, but you know, she is just.....a woman, can you blame her?
  • Thanks bob, I do have the plate setter, rack and pan..
  • fishlessman,
    Yes, it is impossible to satisfy all the requirements. I often see marriage as a kind of real-life Zen riddle or a test for Oddyseus where there is no right answer.[p]"What's your favorite color?"
    "Blue.....NO, Yellow!"[p]Boing

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Flashback Bob,[p]It seems to me that the Egg wasn't really all that much money. They seem to last almost forever. The longest lasting metal grill I had lasted 5 year. Most of 'em, I had to patch the bottom after 2. They're really good with fuel. While the lump costs a bit more, its not filled with filler,and shutting down the Egg saves much of it for the next cook. I only ever ended up with piles of ash with the meatl grills I had. You can cook year round on them. After 2 attempts a Thankgiving turkeys that had to be finished in the oven because all the charcoal burnt up in the cold, and the birds were still half cooked, I'm really looking forward to this Thankgiving because I've already cooked a few degrees above freezing, and there seemed to be little difference than at 90 degrees.[p]Maybe something you can try with your wife is hot tubbed steak, done at around 500 dome. By accident, I didn't have my fire well enough established, and had to leave some steaks on longer than I would have at searing temp. The meat came out medium well, but very moist and tender.[p]gdenby
  • fishlessman
    Flashback Bob,
    maybe its a yellowy blue, but definatly not green : )

fukahwee maine

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Likefre,
    I have found that they do not need to be really meaty to be tasty - but if they are not meaty, it is important not to let the temp jump much past 250. I use the plate setter with a drip pan on it and I always fill teh drip pan with hot water - the steam from this does help the tenderness of the beef and helps it not dry out. I use the 3-2-1 method but dependeing on hoe they are at the end of the 2 I may let them go a tad longer.[p]Also for the big racks like I make you MUST remove the membrane from the back!!!!!![p]I like using a hearty BBQ sauce or even a mop of apple juice diluted A1 - Yummy!.[p]Try a yellow mustard rub with some good beef spices or a Dizzy Pig Cow lick coating on top of the yellow mustard. Do not worry, the Yellow mustard cooks away and leaves a nice crust behind.[p]Oh yeh - Take a picture of your results and post it here!

• likefre,[p]In regards to the steak... Try cooking a tri-tip roast by the T-rex method at the naked whiz's site, or just sear at 700, put it on a raised grid and cook to 135 internal. Slice into 1/2 slices and give her the edges that are more cooked. That way you get a nice medium rare and she can have the more cooked stuff. Eventually, she will migrate to eating steak the way God intended and you won't have to worry about trying to ruin a steak, but still have it taste good.
  • Bigfoot,
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    I will post pics....only if they come out good.:)

• Edintx,
    Thanks!
    Although she found them to be over cooked...we like them rare to med rare

• Likefre,[p]Did you T-Rex the steak? That's all it took to convince my wife it was worth every penny. Nice thick 2-inch New York strip, or a rib-eye or a tri-tip ...mmmmmmmm. The crab stuffed, bacon wrapped prawns on the dizzy pig site didn't hurt any either. Wait, I may be having a brainfart, because it could have been the crab cakes at the dizzy pig site, and the crab stuffed shrimp recipe may be somewhere else. Those crab cakes are great too BTW.[p]Ed
  • Likefre,[p]T-Rex is a high temp sear followed by a 15-20 minute rest followed by a final roast at 450. Instructions at nakedwhiz.com. Great way to make a steak.[p]Ed
  • fishlessman
    2005233303.jpg
    <p />likefre, get yourself a thermapen and learn the trex method, you will be makeing great steaks every time. with the egg, thick steaks 1.5 inches or better are the way to go. also get some of the dizzy pig rubs, they have 2 that are great on steaks
    01fd68e1.jpg
    d73fa1c6.jpg

[ul][li]trex[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    I see from the last photo that you have a Global knife (assuming these are your photos and not ripped off from some food web site). I just got a Global a couple of weeks ago and holy balls that baby is sharp![p]I was cutting some veggies like I alway do - fingers curled in holding the veggie with the knife following the fore finger - when I got tight on a cut and the dam thing took a portion of the nail on my index finger clean off. I mean a perfect shaving with no pain, until of course the blood started which began the process of realizing that something is different and then the screaming and crying and the laying down on the floor with my feet elevated.[p]Thank god that my wife was there to put a band-aid on it or who knows what would of happened.[p]Bottom line - I like it!

• fishlessman
    3d5229c2.jpg
    <p />BurntRaw,
    global single bevel deba and the bunmei oroshi knife are the go to knives. dont even think about picking up the bunmei if you have been drinking, its that scary sharp. the global is probably the best knife ive ever owned, super sharp, holds an edge better than any german knife i have ever used and sharpens fairly easy. that bunmei is sharper, holds an edge the longest, but it takes me 3 or more hours once a year just to hone it. the knife all the way to the left came with the house, must have had great chefs living here at one time

fukahwee maine