Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT... Records, vinyl in jacket

Helping my family in Friendswood, South Houston. About 40-50 water soaked records. Any realistic chance of salvage?

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Vinyl will survive water fine... Labels on the vinyl and covers... maybe (probably) not.... could lay them out flat to see how the covers dry but ...

Best of luck!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    edited August 2017
    Take photographs of front/back covers--front/back labels. Write down numbers/letters on inside ring of front and back of each record. Add info to a spreadsheet for each album. That is a precaution in case your labels peel off. 
    If the labels do peel off you will at least know which label belongs with which album and which side when you can finally re glue them.

Clean both sides of record carefully and stack between newspaper. You are trying to dry out the labels and protect the records. Put something heavy on the stack to keep the newspapers down. Sand in a couple of ziplock bags on the top layer would do. Keep a fan circulating on the records if you have electricity.

You will need to carefully dry the album covers. Put paper towels inside to soak up as much water as you can.  You can stack them but make sure you have some way of keeping the album covers flat. Maybe cut two squares of plywood to put the covers between and put a weight on them. A fan circulating on the covers will also need to be used. Again assuming you have power. Good luck. Per the above link make sure the edge of the album is not smashed when you stack the covers between wood. Forgot that and photograph of the edge of covers.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    SamIAm2 said:
    Take photographs of front/back covers--front/back labels. Write down numbers/letters on inside ring of front and back of each record. Add info to a spreadsheet for each album. That is a precaution in case your labels peel off. 
    If the labels do peel off you will at least know which label belongs with which album and which side when you can finally re glue them.

Clean both sides of record carefully and stack between newspaper. You are trying to dry out the labels and protect the records. Put something heavy on the stack to keep the newspapers down. Sand in a couple of ziplock bags on the top layer would do. Keep a fan circulating on the records if you have electricity.

You will need to carefully dry the album covers. Put paper towels inside to soak up as much water as you can.  You can stack them but make sure you have some way of keeping the album covers flat. Maybe cut two squares of plywood to put the covers between and put a weight on them. A fan circulating on the covers will also need to be used. Again assuming you have power. Good luck.

Good advice here.  It's amazing what you can salvage from a flood, but it takes patience.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Unless there are some especially rare/valuable records in there I wouldn't bother.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2017
    What ever you do, don't put them out in the hot Texas Sun.....to dry. Not that you have any of that right now.   Sorry, the last thing you need right now is a smart ass. My bad.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Put each record in a ziploc bag quarter filled with rice for few days.  Then use a cleaner solution with a brush or cloth.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    What ever you do, don't put them out in the hot Texas Sun.....to dry. Not that you have any of that right now.   Sorry, the last thing you need right now is a smart ass. My bad.
    It's all good buddy. Have to keep a sense of humor. But we did some nice clear skies today
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't let them dry stacked together.
    Separate as mentioned. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Water logged mattress is a ****...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    How high did the water get in those houses?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Photo Egg
    jeffwit said:
    How high did the water get in those houses?
    About 3 feet in the one I'm at.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    You are correct, I forgot to mention wax paper between each cover. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.