Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briquets question

Options
Ok folks I have used lump for 18 years . My question is has anyone ever used briquets in their egg and what the pros and cons? 

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I had 3 bags of Kingsford sitting around gathering dust, so I've been using them for my last several cooks (I know, go ahead and brand me a heretic). Both for low and slow and hot and fast. My verdict is that they work just fine, but wow, they produce a lot of ash. They're about gone, and I'll have to give my egg a good cleaning when they are. But they work just fine. Going back to lump after they're gone, tho. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have them in two eggs right now.  They work fine.  Some advantages and disadvantages relative to each other, but totally fine.  The taste is different, not better or worse.
    Options
    I have them in two eggs right now.  They work fine.  Some advantages and disadvantages relative to each other, but totally fine.  The taste is different, not better or worse.
    Can you shut the egg down and use em again the next cook unlike one could do with a kettle?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Powak said:
    Can you shut the egg down and use em again the next cook unlike one could do with a kettle?
    Absolutely, yes.
    Options
    Nothing wrong with briquettes.  More ash, so be aware of potential airflow issues, but otherwise, no problem 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Can't believe most don't have a Weber kicking around... briquettes are ideal for hot fires, much better and cheaper than firing the egg with lump. Ash is not an issue in the kettle, the egg, it can be a problem.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I've never had a problem with ash from briquettes in the egg.  You can't, however, just keep adding briquettes without cleaning the ash.  You can get away doing that with lump for a while.
    Options
    Powak said:

@Powak. I actually shut down and reuse in the kettle all the time.
    Phoenix