Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza sauce in process

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
2 or 3 times a year I take 3 hours or so to make my stash of pizza sauce. It freezes just fine and I package it in small "cookie" sack ZipLoc bags. This is a shot of the raw assembly just before the 1 hour simmer. After that it gets pureed and then simmered again to evaporate the water in the 18 Roma tomatoes. It really is a good pizza sauce and bread stick dipper as well.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    What's in there besides what we can see. Add any wine. Looks great
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    After the puree put it in the oven or the egg. You'll thank me.
  • Need details on ingredients and method please
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Woodchunk said:
    What's in there besides what we can see. Add any wine. Looks great
    Thanks - yes 3/4 cup. See full recipe post below.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll need to pick up some garlic salt.   Haven't stocked that in years.
    Good looking recipe.  Should make a great sauce!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    you can make garlic salt from scratch, did basil salt last weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looks like a nice sauce. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Pro tip:

:rofl:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    kl8ton said:
    Pro tip:

:rofl:

^^^^^
    This guy gets it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Thanks for sharing the sauce recipe :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Lit said:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:

For posting a breadstick in a marinara sauce thread? That's pretty stuff. Not sure what's UP with that. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    If you'd like to try a little different approach, fire-smoke roast ripe garden tomatoes, like Big Boys, until most of the liquid has evaporated, then use this recipe or similar, omitting the tomato paste as your sauce will be tighter due to the roasting.
  • Woodchunk
    edited August 2017
    Lit said
    Not amusing at all
  • Lit
    Wow lots of flags. You would think I told someone with cancer to kill them self. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Lit said:
    Wow lots of flags. You would think I told someone with cancer to kill them self. 
    Now that would be abuse!
  • Woodchunk
    Lit said:
    Really sad
  • Lit
    Woodchunk said:
    Lit said:
    Really sad
    It's sad you guys are standing up for someone that told someone that just had surgery for cancer to kill them self then when the person he told to kill himself responded Ron corrected the guy and said he never said it when it clearly said kill yourself on the first page. 
  • Woodchunk
    Lit said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Lit said:
    Really sad
    It's sad you guys are standing up for someone that told someone that just had surgery for cancer to kill them self then when the person he told to kill himself responded Ron corrected the guy and said he never said it when it clearly said kill yourself on the first page. 
    Your post stand on their own.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Oh.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2017
    You guys flagged Lit's initial comment enough times to make it disappear, which is ... interesting, except that some of y'all quoted it in full. So everyone can still see it.  Just an observation.  
  • Lit
    edited August 2017
    Woodchunk said:
    Lit said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Lit said:
    Really sad
    Your post stand on their own.
    Ron's doesn't....
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Try cooking that on the egg for the best sauce you will ever have. This is a marinara sauce but you get the idea. 
  • Woodchunk
    RRP said:

Need details on ingredients and method please
    Here you go.

PIZZA SAUCE FROM RRP

Based on a recipe from BGE board but altered for our tastes

• 1 oz package of fresh basil

• 3 T dried basil

• 1.5 tea dried oregano

• ¾ cup chardonnay

• ¾ cup fresh minced onion

• 5 finely chopped garlic cloves

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil

• 18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces

• 1  6oz can of tomato paste

• 3 tea California style garlic salt

• ½ tea freshly ground pepper (12 grinds per layer)

IMPORTANT first step: steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

OPTIONAL: In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently.

Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

Package in 3/4 cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 12 to 14” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks. 

Thanks for posting the recipe and sorry for the interruption but you know what happens when children come into the room
  • Going to give this one a shot, looks dang good.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot