Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef chuck underblade pot roast bbq

Options
stevep
stevep Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ive got a beef chuck underblade pot roast im currently slow cooking for bbq. its about 7.2 lbs, cut into two equal size pieces. my original intention was to leave it on all night (started today at 1300) at about 220, cooking indirect with a drip pan, both sides on each side of a v-rack. Now im starting to doubt myself, should I let it go till tomorrow morning? my intention is to have pulled beef bbq. What do yall think? I prepared it using mustard and JJ's rub.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    stevep, I bet this is gonna be a surprise roast.
    If it fails, don't toss, make BBQ beef in the crock pot..It's a standard routine with me, and makes great BBQ beef.
    C~W[p]

• stevep
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    why would this be a surprise? i admit, im going on the recommendation of the meat cuttter at costco who recommended this, i was looking for a pork butt at the time, but they dont sell them and this guy swore by the beef shoulder. did i get the wrong piece of meat? I did a butt last weekend for 18 hours and it was superb, i was hoping to repeat the experience with beef

• Char-Woody
    Options
    stevep, beef and pork shoulder butts cook just a tad differently. You may be cutting some new ground with a beef blade shoulder roast. Keep notes and let us know how it turns out. I have personally never one "yet".!
    C~W[p]

• stevep
    Options
    Thanks CW
    I just checked, after 8 hours the internal temp is at 143, outside is humming right along at 220, I just topped off with charcoal and hit the 2nd beer of the night. I believe I'm close to beddybye and plan to check it around 3am.
    The outside is developing a deep brown almost black crust, thatd be JJs rub doing its magic, ill wet my pillow with saliva ill bet, and dream of pavlov's dog.......[p]

• Char-Woody, you must add the word "tried" one yet! That ending was terrible...! C~W
    I agree with me...Char-Woody
    :-)[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    stevep, with that kind of enthusiasm, its gotta be good. I'll bring the buns and coleslaw.
    C~W[p]

• stevep
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    well, couldnt sleep so checked on the chuck roast bbq at 3:00. Internal temp was at 204, outside REAL charred, so I pulled it off the egg and pulled it. REAL tender, the inside still moist after 14 hours on the grill. pungent aroma of JJ's rub fills the house. Boys, its BBQ![p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    stevep, way to go...I love it when a grand success happens. From now on...your da man on da blade roast. I will try it here sometime.
    C~W[p]

• stevep
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    The next time I'd do this, I would probably pull it off after about 10/12 hours. Its probably a wee dry, a generous helping of JJs sauce made it eminently palatable.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    stevep, this is where a remote polder does its job in a first time cook for a particular type of roast. You get a pretty good idea for the next time where the ultimate doneness is. Everything seems to get better and better each time as one gets relaxed to the cook.
    C~W[p]