Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morn to all, My wife has brought home a 4lb beef tenderloin. I get off at 1:00 to day and will be home. Should I leave it folded? Should I use a poulder? I'm Planning to go the v-rack w/ drippan. Some of you experts tell me what temp and how long and what internal temp. At 6.99 a lb. my wife will have a fit if I ruin this.Off to work now will check this when I return. Thanks! Uncle Dave

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Uncle Dave, I don't know if this is the best way but here is what I did. I laid the whole tenderloin out and rolled it in char crust then sprayed with extra virgin olive oil. I let sit out at room temp for 1 hour before cooking. Got humpty up to 650 and seared on all sides for 2 minutes. Closed all vents and checked every couple minutes with a meat termometer. You will ruin a polder at this temp. When the biggest end read medium I took off. The smaller end was done for people who like their meat that way and the larger end was medium. I picked up 2 myself this week and will be cooking them next weekend.[p]CWM
  • Uncle Dave
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks for the help, I really am thankful. I am trying so hard to learn this egg. After being someone that friends always ask to come cook for there partys it hurts the ego alittle to not master this egg. However it shure is the best thing I ever bought. This truly is a different level of cooking. Thanks again

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    loin9.jpg
    <p />Uncle Dave,[p]Tenderloin is a tough one because there are many ways to cook one and it's a lean hunk of meat. You can go with low temps for a longer time and cook to the doneness you want or you can go for a fast and hot cook. The beef tenderloin is also a great steak (filet mignon) and you can cut a tenderloin into sections for later use. I normally take a whole tenderloin and cut it into 1/3 sections. The one of them I cut into 2" steaks. The other sections I sear, then cook to the doneness I prefer. You can't use a polder during the sear but you must check with a thermometer to avoid guessing. [p]If you grill/sear it - the tricky part is searing it at 600 deg and then cooking it for 30-40 min at 400-350 deg. The Egg does not like to give up heat so after the sear I shut the egg down with just a crack in the vent and daisy closed and the temps slowly drop to about 350 about the time the meat is done. [p]Good luck with it. If you slow cook it at 300-325 then you can add a Polder thru the cook. I always wrap foil around my polder cables where they enter the Egg to help protect them.[p]Tum
  • Uncle Dave,
    I just got thru cooking a 2lb tenderloin, using the drunk and dirty marinade from smoke and spice cookbook. about 2 hours at 250 (till it hit internally 155) and on the table, using the boiled marinade for gravy in the mashed taters, oh my god, sooooo good. easy to cook piece of meat[p]