Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DP new Peking rub knocked our SOCKS OFF!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
We have a local packing house named "Rabers" which makes a ground pork burger that we have loved for years. This is very coarse ground pork, NOT spiced up and clearly NOT sausage! 

Today our two bottles of DIZZY PIG's new "Peking" rub arrived so what a better way to try it out though I had already sampled it on the flap meat of some spares a few weeks ago so I already knew it was a WINNER!

While it is impossible to see "Peking" underneath the layers of pepper jack cheese and grilled onions the taste on the meat was OUTSTANDING!!!

BTW - NO I do NOT get any benefit by promoting DP products I just know a WINNER RUB when I taste it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    It's on my list but I'm going to wait until I am ready to order 4 bottles. Maybe 2 Peking, Happy Nancy, IPA.
     Good idea with this cook because my local grocery makes their own ground pork. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's why I don't wear socks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice work bud, burgers look good.
    Picked up some ground bird's eye recently to start playing around with Asian rubs.  Love me some Chinese 5-7 spice.

May have to try that Peking at some point. Would love it on some zing wings.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Just got a bottle yesterday.  I'm fortunate that my butcher carries Chirs's products.  If anyone has a local shop you should have them get in touch with dizzy pig.  That's what I did.  I believe they sent him a package of samples at first.  My butcher was worried about people paying that price for them.  That was roughly 14 years ago.  Now he has all of them set up on the counter.  Says he can't keep them in stock and we are a small town!  I'm not sure if their b2b rules have changed but that's how I got them local. 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation.  I'm going to get some of this stuff..
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I always wear socks because you never know when you may get stuck with no toilet paper. 

I'll definitely pick some Peking up next time I'm at Roswell Hardware. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always wear socks because you never know when you may get stuck with no toilet paper. 
    hahaha, I never thought of that! Still, I never wear socks, not even in winter... so far so good. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    Ron, what best describes its flavor?  I'm thinking a spiced up soy or something.  
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron, what best describes its flavor?  I'm thinking a spiced up soy or something.  
    Like the name implies and the label reads it has an Aisan flavor so whatever that means to you then that's it! LOL. Two personal observations though is the wet finger taste of the dry rub is NOT the cooked taste! In fact dry-wise there is some spice that turned me off! But after cooked I never noticed it at all! Secondly last night egging direct at 350 I noticed it clearly has a pronounced sugar content in the formulation as I found it burnt, but not a bad burn like some rubs.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @RRP Thank you for the update. Your post was helpful in making my decision to get a couple bottles. @Nature Boy I can't say enough about your rubs and service. You make grilling fun.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks so much @six_egg !! Makes my day to read this. Enjoy the Peking! Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    I bought a bottle when at Dizzy Pig but hadn't tried it on anything yet - will make a point of it, thanks.
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • RRP
    Options
    heretofore I had just used it on various pork cuts. But Saturday I dusted these ka-bobs which I made with rib eye. They were delicious too!

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Encouraged by Ron's post, I ordered some Peking rub from @Nature Boy as well and it arrived last week before the storms hit. I was finally able to break it out last night as we got a little sun and things started to dry out. 

I went with a pork steak that I picked up at our meat market before heading home. Rubbed and then smoked with mesquite indirect at 275. Put it on about 630 and ate at 830 - smoked to 195 internal temp. (For those unaware - pork steak is just a slice off a pork butt - usually bone in, it's a Central Texas staple)

As Ron said, the dry finger taste of the rub had me a bit worried as it has a pretty strong anise like taste. But once cooked, rub takes on a completely different flavor - most likely due to the carmelization of the sugars. I don't think I would use this on anything seared or hot & fast due to the sugar content, but I'll test that to be safe. 

Flavor of the rub on Pork Steak was exactly like a good Char Siu recipe but without all the marinating and work involved. I saved half the pork steak to cube up and make pork fried rice for dinner tonight - definitely adding this to the regular rotation. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I went crazy and bought 4 bottles. I am going to grab a duck and go for the Peking duck as my first go at it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Mine arrived yesterday (with a couple other bottles I didn't already have). Trying Ron's pork burgers this week. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017