Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Urgent help needed - Homemade replacement for Jamaican Firewalk

Options
Oh no, I'm out of DP Jamaican Firewalk rub and am doing two spatchcock chickens today. Does anybody have a homemade version of this? I don't have time to wait for Amazon to deliver it tomorrow.....
LBGE

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Where are you located?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    We checked the DP site for sellers and the closest one is two hour drive away. I was hoping to make a knock off faster than that.
    LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Urgent help needed.... I thought this was another "why does it hurt when I pee" thread. @DMW
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    You're lucky to be out of it. For a dry rub I find this excellent http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/jerk-rubbed-chicken-thighs-with-home-made-mango-habanero-hot-sauce-recipe-1941408

There are many wet rubs that are authentic and available via the googleator. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Walkerswood is great.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have no idea what Jamaican Firewalk tastes like, but assuming you're looking for Jerk seasoning, @Theophan posted this a while back...

"I like Walkers Wood, but I have really loved several recipes from Helen Willinsky's book, Jerk -- Barbecue From Jamaica.  I've used this marinade for jerk chicken and love it.  She recommends marinating the chicken at least 4 hours. She also wants you to turn every 10 minutes, basting, but I think that's for an open fire, not in the Big Green Egg.  I think I basted about every 20 minutes.

Jerk Marinade

Ingredients:
    1 onion finely chopped 
    1/2 cup scallions finely chopped 
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme 
    1 teaspoon salt 
    2 teaspoons sugar 
    1 teaspoon allspice, ground "Jamaican pimento" (allspice) 
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
    1 (or more) Scotch Bonnet or habanero chili finely ground 
    1 teaspoon black pepper 
    3 tablespoons soy sauce 
    1 tablespoon oil 
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar 

Her Directions:
    Mix together all the ingredients. A food processor fitted with a steel blade is ideal for chopping and combining. This will provide an excellent marinade for chicken beef or pork. Store leftover marinade in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar for about 1 month.

Her Notes: Some people find marinades more convenient to use than spice pastes. This marinade is more liquid than a paste, but not as liquid as most marinades. The flavor of the marinade may strike you as a little harsh when you first mix it, but I assure you, the flavors will all blend and mellow as the meat cooks. To increase the heat of this rather mild marinade, add hot pepper sauce.  If you want less heat, remove the seeds and membranes containing the seeds from the peppers before grinding them.

Theo"

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I like Jamaican firewalk but it is a very loosely interpreted jerk recipe. There have been some good suggestions. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I tried some JF on popcorn last night, not it's best stage.  John Henry Mojave Garlic is still the king for popcorn.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    I tried some JF on popcorn last night, not it's best stage.  John Henry Mojave Garlic is still the king for popcorn.
    Have you tried honey hog hot?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Legume said:
    Only on ribs, but it's in the cabinet, so will try that next.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Only on ribs, but it's in the cabinet, so will try that next.
    That's been our go to lately. Almost time to replenish the stock.