Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat or sides first?

Options
Today I am grilling bone in thighs, with baked potatoes, stuffed shrooms, and grilled asparagus.
Usually I get the sides done first, since they take the longest to cook, but since I had help with my prep, I put the chicken on first.
Will remove and foil the chicken while the taters cook for an hour , then put the shrooms on for the next 45 mins with the taters. Asparagus is last for only 20 mins on indirect low heat.
What is your normal line up?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Depends on what I'm cooking.  Food that suffers when held is cooked last.  I have enough cooking tools to do everything staged so it's all done at the same time.  Trick is in planning and prep.
    Options
    As above-more toys to reduce the need for in-depth planning and execution in the face of adult supervisory beverages.  ;)
    But it's great that you can get it all organized and finished.  Great work with your helper right there.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  BTW- the chix are looking great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    Seems like you are taking a long time to cook your sides. Crank up the heat a little. I did asparagus last night raised direct at 450 and it took maybe 5 mins. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I would just do the sides in the oven or another apparatus. Something is going to pay the price for having to sit around and does the benefit of being cooked on the BGE outweigh the depreciation from not being fresh when you eat?
    Stillwater, MN
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    I would just do the sides in the oven or another apparatus. Something is going to pay the price for having to sit around and does the benefit of being cooked on the BGE outweigh the depreciation from not being fresh when you eat?
    It's not being cooked on the EGG, it's that when I am home on weekends and cooking on the EGG , I don't want to heat the house up by running the oven for 1-2 hours when the grill is already hot.
    Usually , if I am doing baked potatoes, I will put them on first, and they are still hot by the time the meats are done.
     Tried the asparagus with cherry tomatoes and onion rather than straight grilling, which is why it took a little longer.
    All turned out great.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    This is why a Professional Bachelor™ owns two Eggs, and should have at least two more.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use two eggs. I think I can get most done on the XL, and do sides on the MM. Works out very well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a third microwave.
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a third microwave.
    Get an XL microwave, with a rotisserie. You would be set up like a boss.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Beans, potato salad, pasta salad, etc... Done the day before. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    henapple said:
    Beans, potato salad, pasta salad, etc... Done the day before. 
    I try to prep ahead as much as I can. Work schedule is unpredictable at best, though, so usually have to prep the day of.
    I was just curious how others prioritize their cooks, depending on which sides and entrees they are making.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually try to time things to finish teaching same time. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN