Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese?

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Several mentioned American cheese this morning.... Some "food for thought" 

Is Kraft American cheese real cheese?
By the FDA's standards, Kraft isn't permitted to refer to Singles as “cheese” because this word indicates that a product is made with at least 51 percent real cheese. This is why the label reads “pasteurized prepared cheese product.” Typically, the fewer ingredients a food contains, the healthier that food tends to be.Mar 16, 2015
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    We stick to Boar's Head white American. Hope that doesn't make me racist.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Not a fan of American cheese, but I do stand for the National Anthem. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Whenever the topic of "American cheese" comes up I always refer them to J. Kenji's take - http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/whats-really-in-american-cheese.html

I'm with J. Kenji - sometimes Kraft singles are the perfect choice for a burger.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    It really is the only cheese to use with scary-f*cking clown bologna

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    I just cut the cheese. Does that count?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    henapple said:

By the FDA's standards, Kraft isn't permitted to refer to Singles as “cheese” because this word indicates that a product is made with at least 51 percent real cheese. This is why the label reads “pasteurized prepared cheese product.” Typically, the fewer ingredients a food contains, the healthier that food tends to be.Mar 16, 2015
    So true.

Water , for example. One of the best things you can put in your mouth. And just 1 ingredient. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    caliking said:
    henapple said:

So true.

Water , for example. One of the best things you can put in your mouth. And just 1 ingredient. 
    And beer just has beer in it. Perfect. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    henapple said:

So true.

"Distilled" (usually made by reverse-osmosis though) water will taste weird to most people because it's missing the usual minerals that we're used to.  Some bottled water companies start with demineralized waters and add the minerals so it tastes better.
    @nolaegghead - so true.  In my previous life we would distill sea-water to it's very pure form.  Then depending on the needs of the various grades of water it would get routed to different holding tanks.
    The potable water tanks were carefully monitored and some additives were used to provide the hint of a flavor profile.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Fake cheese.

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    caliking said:
    henapple said:

So true.

What if it's mineral water, huh mister smarty pants?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Oops I see that Nola beat me to it.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    New Yorker American is American cheese... anything wrapped individually and not sliced at a deli is crap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Double-header right here.  @henapple and a cheese thread and @hapster surfaces.  Trust this finds everyone well.  No pressure on hapster from some incredible photos.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Did someone cut it?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Ate some tonight.  Will it kill me?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Made this cheese Thursday.
    Made saag paneer with it tonight.
    Made saag paneer with it tonight.
    I can't pronounce that **** but I bet it was good. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    My dog is cutting it on the regular. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    caliking said:
    henapple said:

So true.

Duh. It's obviously not as good as water, since it has more ingredients. See first post. Try to keep up.

That's why I like salt. Just one ingredient.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    henapple said:

So true.

Duh. It's obviously not as good as water, since it has more ingredients. See first post. Try to keep up.

Doesn't salt have at least two ingredients - sodium and chloride? And many salts also have trace elements of who knows what.

I guess water also has two ingredients - hydrogen and oxygen. 

This is all very confusing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    In the vernacular, salt is sodium chloride.  Cali is a scientist, I'm sure he means the anion/cation balance of common mineral salts typically found in water.
    edited August 2017
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    henapple said:

So true.

Doesn't salt have at least two ingredients - sodium and chloride? And many salts also have trace elements of who knows what.

I guess water also has two ingredients - hydrogen and oxygen. 

This is all very confusing.
    Ingredients in the lay sense. Anything chemically bonded together counts as one. 

But you have a point if we were in a lab , and not in a redneck's thread on a BBQ forum.

• JohnInCarolina
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Redneck? Your 1:23 am drunk ass better shut his cake hole. I'll come down to Houston and reign on you. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN